D&D 5E 5E Beast Companion Mechanics.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No, it would NOT know how to clean goop from eyes with a 3 Intelligence. And I have told the player many times about fine manipulation and a spider doing things and I get arguments of Why Not? The player has it firmly in her head that the spider is a highly intelligent extension of herself and frankly doesn't know how to roleplay an Int 3 pet.
I mean, at some point it comes down to this.

Either put your foot down or accept the pet as the player views it.

Neither is the right answer. You just have to pick one.

cmad1977

Hero
"Working as intended" can be an incredibly dismissive response at times. In this case I believe it is - you display zero concern for the poster's issues, and your advice would be greatly improved if you would discuss limitations that does not let the pet short-circuit the poster's adventure challenges. Thank you.

If you don’t have anything to add to the conversation at hand don’t post:
Thank you.

Re: The actual topic
Maybe the player is going a little far with their requests. But I’m not seeing anything TOO insane. My suggestion applies to more than the spider. When you feel the need to deny the PCs request, aim for ‘No, that won’t work. But...’ and offer an alternative. The beasts aren’t World of Warcraft combat pets.

In the case of the ‘goop’. IF I felt the need to deny this action I’d go with something like...

‘No, the spider isn’t really clear on the concept, but... if you take a turn to describe what you want it to do I’ll let it go.’ Maybe the process takes a bit.

Nebulous

Legend
I mean, at some point it comes down to this.

Either put your foot down or accept the pet as the player views it.

Neither is the right answer. You just have to pick one.

The DM getting frustrated every session is the wrong answer for me when a game mechanic is abused. I might need to talk to her out of game and explain the balance with the spider pet is not being used as intended, but I do think it comes down to her inability to roleplay as required. I know, it's a fine line between pet and familiar now, and the player doesn't understand that.
In the case of the ‘goop’. IF I felt the need to deny this action I’d go with something like...

‘No, the spider isn’t really clear on the concept, but... if you take a turn to describe what you want it to do I’ll let it go.’ Maybe the process takes a bit.

Which would fall under what Dave suggested, an action to control the beast to do something it wouldn't normally understand.

doctorbadwolf

The DM getting frustrated every session is the wrong answer for me when a game mechanic is abused. I might need to talk to her out of game and explain the balance with the spider pet is not being used as intended, but I do think it comes down to her inability to roleplay as required. I know, it's a fine line between pet and familiar now, and the player doesn't understand that.
Like I said, you have to make the choice.

But don’t blame it on their roleplaying, it’s a gameplay issue. They’re roleplaying what they expect the connection between ranger and pet to be. Have that talk, but remember that as a new player, their expectations don’t match yours, and try to focus on that.

Nebulous

Legend
Like I said, you have to make the choice.

But don’t blame it on their roleplaying, it’s a gameplay issue. They’re roleplaying what they expect the connection between ranger and pet to be. Have that talk, but remember that as a new player, their expectations don’t match yours, and try to focus on that.

Yes, other than this she's a good player, so I really, TRULY, am trying to be nice (and not make her cry, which is another concern).

doctorbadwolf

Yes, other than this she's a good player, so I really, TRULY, am trying to be nice (and not make her cry, which is another concern).
Fair enough. Definitely don’t tell her she is roleplaying wrong. Like, very few people are gonna hear that and not be some level of negatively impacted by it. Annoyed, pissed off, upset, defensive, something.

Nebulous

Legend
Haha, oh, and last session someone fell off an 80 foot tower. She wanted the spider to spin a web and cushion his fall before he hit the ground. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I had to nix that plan. It can't even spin webs per the stat block, much less in however long it takes to hit the ground from that close.

doctorbadwolf

Haha, oh, and last session someone fell off an 80 foot tower. She wanted the spider to spin a web and cushion his fall before he hit the ground. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I had to nix that plan. It can't even spin webs per the stat block, much less in however long it takes to hit the ground from that close.
It doesn’t have webs? I’d have assumed it did, too! Lol

Remove ads