5E: Converting AD&D Monsters to Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
Okay, that leaves the detect evil/know alignment power.

How's this for a start:

Soulsight. If a creature starts its turn within ## feet of Adonides and the two of them can see each other, Adonides can force the creature to make a DC 22 Charisma saving throw if Adonides isn't incapacitated. On a failed save, Adonides's supernatural gaze pierces the target's soul, and the devil can see what the creature's alignment is (i.e. chaotic good) and automatically knows whenever the creature lies in any conversation Adonides can follow. This effect lasts ## but can be countered by any effect that would work against a 2nd-level divination spell. A target that successfully saves is immune to Adonides's Soulsight for the next 24 hours.​

I did wonder about making it "a DC 22 Charisma or Wisdom saving throw (target's choice which)" but decided I want my dang CHA save somewhere!

That just leaves the two ## bits: distance and duration.

I'm thinking 30 feet for distance, for two reasons.

Firstly, the AD&D detect lies has a range of 3" or 30 feet indoors / 90 feet outdoors, while know alignment had a 1" range for 10/30 feet.

Secondly, I cribbed the basic mechanism from the Petrifying Gaze attack of the 5E Basilisk, and that has a 30 ft. range.

As for duration, I'm undecided.

10 minutes? Concentration like detect magic? The Encounter length? Until a short rest? As long as the target stays within range? Some combination of the previous?

Cleon

Legend
Soulsight. If a creature starts its turn within ## feet of Adonides and the two of them can see each other, Adonides can force the creature to make a DC 22 Charisma saving throw if Adonides isn't incapacitated. On a failed save, Adonides's supernatural gaze pierces the target's soul, and the devil can see what the creature's alignment is (i.e. chaotic good) and automatically knows whenever the creature lies in any conversation Adonides can follow. This effect lasts ## but can be countered by any effect that would work against a 2nd-level divination spell. A target that successfully saves is immune to Adonides's Soulsight for the next 24 hours.

Originally I was going to have the name refer to sins but had trouble coming up with a name I liked.

Sinsight or Sinvision? Sinful Insight? Sin-Revealing Gaze? Perceive Sins?

Hmm, of those I like Sinful Insight the best.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Sorry, misread it "30 foot range and a "10 minutes or until target goes out of range" is fine. Have been really really busy today and speedread this and failed

Cleon

Legend
Sorry, misread it "30 foot range and a "10 minutes or until target goes out of range" is fine. Have been really really busy today and speedread this and failed

So that'll be:

Sinful Insight. If a creature starts its turn within 30 feet of Adonides and the two of them can see each other, Adonides can force the creature to make a DC 22 Charisma saving throw if Adonides isn't incapacitated. On a failed save, Adonides's supernatural gaze pierces the target's soul, and the devil can see what the creature's alignment is (i.e. chaotic good) and automatically knows whenever the creature lies in any conversation Adonides can follow. This effect lasts for 10 minutes or until the target goes outside the 30 ft. range and can be countered by any effect that would work against a 2nd-level divination spell. A target that successfully saves is immune to Adonides's Sinful Insight for the next 24 hours.​

If that's acceptable, I believe we're finished with the mechanics.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases