D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

dave2008

Legend
I just added the giant protean to the monstrosities category. It is another creature from the Immortal Handbook from the D&D BECMI boxed sets.

Are you sure Tiamat immediately uses chromatic breath after she uses chromatic recharge?
The way I read it, to use chromatic recharge, she must do so right after having used chromatic breath. If she doesn't do it right after, she can't use chromatic recharge. But she then immediately uses chromatic breath again. And so, to be able to use chromatic recharge, she must do so immediately again, creating a rather crazy loop.

dave2008

Legend
Are you sure Tiamat immediately uses chromatic breath after she uses chromatic recharge?
The way I read it, to use chromatic recharge, she must do so right after having used chromatic breath. If she doesn't do it right after, she can't use chromatic recharge. But she then immediately uses chromatic breath again. And so, to be able to use chromatic recharge, she must do so immediately again, creating a rather crazy loop.

The intent is: she uses chromatic breath, she then uses chromatic recharge ( all 5 legendary actions). End of of round. She can't uses chromatic breath again until it recharges ( roll of 6) on her turn. If/ when chromatic breath recharges she could then use chromatic recharge again.
The idea of chromatic recharge is that it is one continuous massive breath weapon attack for the whole round. She is just blast the whole area with herbreathwrapon

dave2008

Legend
PS thank you for the comments and the review - it is always good to get another set of eyes on these

The intent is: she uses chromatic breath, she then uses chromatic recharge ( all 5 legendary actions). End of of round. She can't uses chromatic breath again until it recharges ( roll of 6) on her turn. If/ when chromatic breath recharges she could then use chromatic recharge again.
The idea of chromatic recharge is that it is one continuous massive breath weapon attack for the whole round. She is just blast the whole area with herbreathwrapon

But using chromatic recharge automatically recharges the breath, right. Otherwise, she needs that six.
But using the five legendary actions to recharge the breath includes her immediately using the breath according to the description.
So the as I read it) goes: Tiamat uses chromatic breath. Her turn ends. Some hapless pc then acts. She uses chromatic recharge and breathes again. She then must use chromatic recharge again if she wants the breath recharged from legendary actions.

I don't understand your explanation. If she must wait for the recharge anyway, why would she use the legendary actions? Besides, doesn't legendary actions come after pc actions and only then?

dave2008

Legend
But using chromatic recharge automatically recharges the breath, right. Otherwise, she needs that six.
But using the five legendary actions to recharge the breath includes her immediately using the breath according to the description.
So the as I read it) goes: Tiamat uses chromatic breath. Her turn ends. Some hapless pc then acts. She uses chromatic recharge and breathes again. She then must use chromatic recharge again if she wants the breath recharged from legendary actions.

I don't understand your explanation. If she must wait for the recharge anyway, why would she use the legendary actions? Besides, doesn't legendary actions come after pc actions and only then?

No problem. Just to be clear the intent of the action and trying to represent that mechanically in the game often create odd wordings and relationships that need to be tweaked. The intent is one long breath weapon attack. This is represented mechanically through Tiamat taking her turn to use chromatic breath and then use chromatic recharge to extend the usage of chromatic breath for the rest of the round. My understanding of how this works mechanically is this:

Round 1:
Tiamat's turn: She uses chromatic breath (typical recharge 6) - 420 HP of damage

PC Turn: attack tiamat or probably flee ;)

Tiamat's legendary Action: Chromatic Recharge, chromatic breath recharges and she uses it - another 420 HP of damage. Total of 840 HP of damage for the round. Since she just used chromatic breath she must recharge it before she can use it again.

Round 2:
Tiamat's turn: she rolls a 4 on her recharge, no go with chromatic breath so she uses her head actions.

PC Turn: attack tiamat or probably flee ;)

Tiamat's legendary Action(s): She didn't use chromatic breath on her turn, so she cannot use Chromatic Recharge. She uses two head actions. a tail attack, and a move instead.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases