D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

Dave,

Thanks for posting him. I was going for a cat and mouse type big bad who would attempt to target a single foe, then use magic to occupy the rest of the party while he digests his victim. Any suggestions (particularly snake or darkness themed) from anyone would be appreciated.

I am working on a scheme for the archons' Hebdomad. Imagine what a 9th level paladin spell would look like. I would do an evil laugh, but that doesn't seem appropriate.

dave2008

Legend
How about some dragons for the new year?! I have updated all of the chromatic dragons. I tool a long look at the 5e dragons and I found them lacking. I not only gave them my traditional epic update power boost, I also gave them spells and additional abilities to give them more options and to give them a little variety. The MM versions are a little to cookie-cutter for my taste. I went back to the 4e versions and tried to give each dragon a unique ability or two (on top of spells) that helps distinguish the different types. I hope you like them and please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement.

dave2008

Legend
Dave,

Thanks for posting him. I was going for a cat and mouse type big bad who would attempt to target a single foe, then use magic to occupy the rest of the party while he digests his victim. Any suggestions (particularly snake or darkness themed) from anyone would be appreciated.

I am working on a scheme for the archons' Hebdomad. Imagine what a 9th level paladin spell would look like. I would do an evil laugh, but that doesn't seem appropriate.

No problem and thank you so much for contributing! I really appreciate the help and I look forward to your next submission. I hope your having a great new year!

How about some dragons for the new year?! I have updated all of the chromatic dragons. I tool a long look at the 5e dragons and I found them lacking. I not only gave them my traditional epic update power boost, I also gave them spells and additional abilities to give them more options and to give them a little variety. The MM versions are a little to cookie-cutter for my taste. I went back to the 4e versions and tried to give each dragon a unique ability or two (on top of spells) that helps distinguish the different types. I hope you like them and please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement.
Why does the Blue's breath weapon deal more damage than the Red's?

The MM gives rules for dragons' optional spellcasting. You seem to have just given them some thematic spells. Which is cool, but how does this relate to younger dragons' spells. Do they follow MM guidelines, and then when they become ancient, they get the suite in your reworks?

Ashardalon now has fewer options than the Red and Blue :(

Looking forward to Cyan Bloodbane!

Oh, and happy new year :)

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Why does the Blue's breath weapon deal more damage than the Red's?

Personal preference - it always rubbed me the wrong way that fire did more damage than a lightning bolt. Note that the in the cone versions the fire does more damage. In addition, when you multiply it times the number of targets the fire cone ultimately does more overall damage than the single target lightning bolt.

The MM gives rules for dragons' optional spellcasting. You seem to have just given them some thematic spells. Which is cool, but how does this relate to younger dragons' spells. Do they follow MM guidelines, and then when they become ancient, they get the suite in your reworks?

I did not follow the optional rules. Following the theme of my epic updates, I made them more powerful. I would probably make younger dragons spellcasting more robust than the guidelines suggest as well. I will think about adding some spellcasting guidelines to the dragon category.

Ashardalon now has fewer options than the Red and Blue :(

Yes, he needs a revision now too. Maybe next weekend.

Looking forward to Cyan Bloodbane!

Oh, and happy new year :)

It may be awhile for Cyan, any suggestions for his unique abilities? Happy new year to you as well!

dave2008

Legend
I have added the guardian constructs Baak to the Construct category. This, I think, will be the last monster from the Immortals DM Guide of the D&D BECMI series.

It may be awhile for Cyan, any suggestions for his unique abilities?
I don't know - something to reflect his mind affecting powers, illusions and such. Upscale the domination/charm effects a green normally has. Maybe make him a 20th lvl caster, access to enchantment and/or illusion school only (or just give him wide use of thematic mind affecting powers at will/innately). Give him powers that gives the target a tough choice (as seen in 4E): be dominated or suffer (huge) damage. Attack one ally or suffer damage. Stuff like that. Also, maybe make him have displacement a la displacer beast.

dave2008

Legend
I don't know - something to reflect his mind affecting powers, illusions and such. Upscale the domination/charm effects a green normally has. Maybe make him a 20th lvl caster, access to enchantment and/or illusion school only (or just give him wide use of thematic mind affecting powers at will/innately). Give him powers that gives the target a tough choice (as seen in 4E): be dominated or suffer (huge) damage. Attack one ally or suffer damage. Stuff like that. Also, maybe make him have displacement a la displacer beast.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely look the his 4e incarnation. Do you know if he has stats in any other edition?

Remove ads