D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

dave2008

Legend
I have added Obox-Ob to the Demon Princes section. I have also updated Demogorgon as some of my first batch of Demon Princes seemed to need a little refresh. I hope to update Orcus, Graz-zt and Fraz as well, if needed.

dave2008

Legend
I have added Miska the Wolf Spider to the Demon Princes section. I have also updated Orcus and Graz'zt. Just the Queen of Chaos to go!

On that subject, if anyone has any ideas about the QoC I would appreciate it. As far as I can tell she has never been officially stated, so all I have is a description to go one. Her story seems very similar to Pale Night (in fact I confused the two for a while), but I want to find something more unique to go on.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Queen of Chaos to the Demon Princes section. This concludes my current list of Demon Lords and Princes. I would like to add more later, but I hope to complete the rest of the list first. If anyone wants to contribute a demon lord, please send it to me and I will review and post it.

I have also updated the compiled download PDF and added a printer friendly version. I plan to update both on a monthly basis.

However, I do plan to take about a month break from posting (if I can;) Happy new year!

dave2008

Legend
I have rearrange the thread some. I have grouped Demon Prince and Demon Lords in the same post (#7) under a new heading "Arch-Fiends (Chaotic Evil) and I have grouped the Arch-Devils and Dukes in the same post (#10) under the new heading "Arch-Fiends (Lawful Evil)." This allowed me to get space for a future "Arch-Fiends (neutral Evil) post (#9), and I revised post #11 to contain "Giants" and "Humanoids."

The major reason for this change is I was asked to stat Iggwilv and I didn't have a good place to put her. So I have uploaded Iggwilv to the new Humanoids section.

There are two stat blocks for her. One is CR 15 which is the highest I could get her as a straight up 20th level wizard with a spell list based on her 3.5e incarnation (Savage Tides AP). To get this high of a CR I had to give her some seriously OP equipment as well. The second version (the Witch Queen) is full of epic boons and epic ASIs and a slightly modified spell list. This gets her CR up to 24. FYI, the XP needed to get her to this level is approximately 200% more than required to simply get to level 20. Also, please note that this CR is reliant on casting meteor swarm 3 times (the max her CR 24 version can cast). If the fight goes beyond 3 rounds her CR drops significantly.

I have also included a write-up for her unique magic items.

dave2008

Legend
5E is weird in the way spells not only memorized but actually cast determines CR. Really a headache actually. Good job on Iggwilv, though.

Thank you! Spellcasters are more difficult and there is no clear way to say how imprisonment affects CR. When it can obviously have a big influence on a battle.

dave2008

Legend
Sorry, that should read Snurre Ironbelly (stupid autocorrect). He's the eponymous big bad from the 1E adventure "Halls of the Fire Giant King", which is part of "Against the Giants" and all the different iterations of that module. He appears on the 5E PHB cover, actually....although I don't think he's appeared anywhere else in the 5E publications. I believe that Chris Perkins did a remake of "Hall of the Fire Giant King" for 4E and Snurre's stats appeared in that, but I am not sure where that adventure appeared. I suppose it was in the online version of Dungeon Magazine.

Eclavdra is the High Priestess of Lolth from the 1E adventure "Vault of the Drow", which is the continuation of the "Against the Giants" series. They're all collected in the epic campaign "Queen of the Spiders". Eclavdra's stats last appeared in the 3E Epic Level Handbook.

Both of them, along with Iggwilv, are characters we used back in the early days of my group's D&D experience. Snurre lost an eye to one of our PCs and then fled, and Eclavdra had to flee from the PCs after they defeated her forces. My current campaign continues a lot of what we did back then, so I have brought these characters back into he fold.

Iggwilv was never meant to be fought back then, and I am not aware she ever really had any official stats, but I am sure she was statted out in the 3E days and I just don't know where.

Just wanted to let you know I have posted Iggwilv (in the humanoids section, page 2, post #11 I think). I have a request for Bahamut and Primus and then I'll take a look at Eclavdra and Snurre

hawkeyefan

Legend
Just wanted to let you know I have posted Iggwilv (in the humanoids section, page 2, post #11 I think). I have a request for Bahamut and Primus and then I'll take a look at Eclavdra and Snurre

That's great! I like both versions, and the distinction by designating her as The Witch Queen in the more powerful version.

I will almost surely use this in my campaign....now I'll just have to decide which to use when the time comes. It's quite a delta....we'll have to see where my PCs are at by that point in the campaign.

Thanks for the effort and for sharing all of these.

dave2008

Legend
That's great! I like both versions, and the distinction by designating her as The Witch Queen in the more powerful version.

I will almost surely use this in my campaign....now I'll just have to decide which to use when the time comes. It's quite a delta....we'll have to see where my PCs are at by that point in the campaign.

Thanks for the effort and for sharing all of these.

It would be easy enough to drop her CR down. The big ones are the boon of recovery and the shield spell. The Witch Queen as shield as an at-will spell so she essentially always has a +5 to AC. If you keep her AC at 24 (swap out the shield spell for another spell) and remove the boon of recovery (which I factored into her effective HP) then I think she is CR 20-21. If you then drop meteor swarm, she is down around CR 17-18 I think.

Remove ads