D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

dave2008

Legend
Also, how powerful would the true Asmodeus be? (World Serpent, hundreds of miles long): Asmodeus Description. Notice he created humanoid-looking "avatars" (plural). His avatars' essence roams around the world and the Nine Hells in multiple forms. Seeing as he has multiple avatars, I would use the one from this thread and several others. But how powerful would his true form be? More powerful than Jormungandr (CR 45)? I get the feeling he would be in the 60-70 range, seeing as even his first avatar summons pit fiends for each drop of his blood. Even Tiamat only has a few avatars, all of which are weaker than Asmodeus (at least in my world).

View attachment 123612
FYI, that is not the 5e canon perspective of Asmodeus, in fact I don't know if that was ever canon. It sounds a lot like the dicefreaks approach to the big A. However, if you wanted to model something like that I would use my Dendar the Night Serpent as as a template. Again, gods were not supposed to go beyond CR 40 in this system, but primordials (like Dendar) can surpass that, so that is the way I would go with Asmodeus..

Personally I default to 1e and make Demogorgon the most powerful of the fiends (Devils and Demons). So whatever Asmodeus is, he is less than Demogorgon. Oddly though,or not so much if you know me, I don't follow that paradigm for Tiamat. ;)

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
So I made stats for Dark Force (3rd incarnation) from Phantasy Star IV in 5e with this system based on these guidelines with tetracube. The Challenge is 42, which would give it 475,000 XP, but I couldn't do that with TC so just take that into account. If you're worried that I'm plagiarizing or something or the name isn't public domain, just call him Dark Phallus or something, I really don't care. Image of Dark Force edited from The Spriters Resource
dark force iii (1).png

I made the stat block myself, constructive criticism encouraged.
Picture:
1594952648711.png

Attachments

• 20200716_211815.png
    20200716_211815.png
    35 KB · Views: 210

dave2008

Legend
So I made stats for Dark Force (3rd incarnation) from Phantasy Star IV in 5e with this system based on these guidelines with tetracube. The Challenge is 42, which would give it 475,000 XP, but I couldn't do that with TC so just take that into account. If you're worried that I'm plagiarizing or something or the name isn't public domain, just call him Dark Phallus or something, I really don't care. Image of Dark Force edited from The Spriters Resource
View attachment 123854
I made the stat block myself, constructive criticism encouraged.
Picture:
View attachment 123857
Thanks for sharing! I will take a look in more detail later; however, one quick comment:
You call it an "aberration (primordial);" however, it can't be both. The stat block is not created like a primordial, so I would suggest making it an aberration and replacing the primordial traits with eldritch titan traits.

Zio_the_dark

The dark one :)
Isn't Dark force and the Profound darkness more a fiend than an aberration? In fact I don't know just suggesting in older editions I would have make them "outsider" but it does not exists anymore in 5th

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
Isn't Dark force and the Profound darkness more a fiend than an aberration? In fact I don't know just suggesting in older editions I would have make them "outsider" but it does not exists anymore in 5th
I considered that, PS4 says that the profound darkness is a "celestial life form" billions of years old. It existed, then, before the gods (including Tharizdun), and therefore Hell, Gehenna, and the Abyss and the fiends. So I'm inclined to label it as a primordial/eldritch titan. 8 don't want to give it multiple parts since PD isn't relatively large (20 feet tall with a 50 ft wingspan max) so it's basically an ancient primordial built as an eldritch titan. Physically, Dark Force is just an "aspect" of PD, so there isn't a change in mechanics there either.

dave2008

Legend
I considered that, PS4 says that the profound darkness is a "celestial life form" billions of years old. It existed, then, before the gods (including Tharizdun), and therefore Hell, Gehenna, and the Abyss and the fiends.
I don't think that is accurate. First, the Profound Darkness doesn't have any D&D history so its place is not determined. It place in its original fiction is not necessarily its place in D&D. You can of course put it wherever you want, but "celestial life form" covers a lot of entities in D&D lore. From the description, it sounds most like an "Elder Evil," which is a pseudo category (it is comprised of different "types" of monsters) in D&D lore. Within that context it could be a fiend, a celestial, monstrosity, or an aberration. But in terms of this thread (in generally D&D lore), it really isn't a primordial. Primordials are the original elemental lords and are mostly "unaligned" not good or evil (thought there that changed over time).

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
I don't think that is accurate. First, the Profound Darkness doesn't have any D&D history so its place is not determined. It place in its original fiction is not necessarily its place in D&D. You can of course put it wherever you want, but "celestial life form" covers a lot of entities in D&D lore. From the description, it sounds most like an "Elder Evil," which is a pseudo category (it is comprised of different "types" of monsters) in D&D lore. Within that context it could be a fiend, a celestial, monstrosity, or an aberration. But in terms of this thread (in generally D&D lore), it really isn't a primordial. Primordials are the original elemental lords and are mostly "unaligned" not good or evil (thought there that changed over time).
Didn't know that, thanks for explaining.

Remove ads