• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Forgotten Realms: what will it look like?

Jack99

Adventurer
No, no no. DDI is only for the wealthy or for those who live in US. All the rest of the people have no access to it. Give access to those to all, price the articles themselves and not the DDI itself, and we'll be good.

DDI is available everywhere, what are you talking about? Also, the DDI is hardly for rich people. Or rather, that depends on your country. Over herr, $7 is like less than half a pizza. Which will not ruin anyone.

This short message was brought to you by Tapatalk and my iPad

I don't really care anymore to be honest :D (see last paragraph)

...since WOTC seems to be trying hard to unite fans of various D&D incarnations, we could see the 4E Realms timeline go the way of the do-do. .

Rather like what happened to Dragon Lance... except this would be at odds with the egos and vanity at WotC. So, for that reason alone it probably will not happen.

WotC does not release sales figures, but there is wide speculation that 4E commercially failed. If 4E failed as a whole, how could 4E F.R. - by definition a part of 4E - succeed.

My own hatred for 4E F.R. went beyond the RSE, to include the lowered words count, lowered reading grade level of the book, poor over all organization, often mediocre art, non-existent index and piss poor table of contents. The RSE were just insult added to injury. Assuming there is a 5E F.R., WotC should make it an improvement on 4E in terms of word count, reading grade level, art, organization and over all composition compared to what 4E F.R. was.

But that probably will not happen.

In terms of canned settings, these days I like Eberron. It is a fun place to be. I no longer care about F.R. over much and have purchased neither game books nor novels for a long time. As Jake put it, "Go on then, there are other worlds than this."

MoxieFu

First Post
If they do reset the Realms back to the gray box, please, please, please, DON'T use light brown ink on dark tan parchment imitation paper. I nearly went blind trying to read the booklets in the original box sets.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
If they are going to cover all timelines then they can't do this two or three book crap. The designers will need to actually put out an appropriate amount of books to cover everything.

I hope to see an increased book count.

Nebulous

Legend
I think they should default to the distant past that has not been covered in any supplement, and long before Elminster or Drizzt or any other familiar face. Back when heroes were RARE, or would become the heroes of legend for the modern day FR.

Does anyone thinks it's possible to divorce the novels from the campaign setting? I for one don't see why they can't both be FR but on different timelines. I'm of the opinion that the novels, with their requirements for big-name characters and RSEs to sell new books, have been what has destroyed the campaign setting for the folks who want to game in it.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Does anyone thinks it's possible to divorce the novels from the campaign setting? I for one don't see why they can't both be FR but on different timelines. I'm of the opinion that the novels, with their requirements for big-name characters and RSEs to sell new books, have been what has destroyed the campaign setting for the folks who want to game in it.

I can already see the fistfights between people wearing "BookFR" and "DiceFR" T-Shirts at GenCon.

Remove ads