D&D 5E 5e Greyhawk: What could it look like?

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I'd like to see them do a series of 32-page and 96-page softcover books starting with a general overview of the World of Greyhawk based on the 1983 boxed set, followed by a player's handbook with more specific information on character creation. They could follow those up with more specific books concerning Castle Greyhawk, Iuz, the Great Kingdom, the Scarlet Brotherhood, etc. I'd use Paizo as a model.

I'd set the timeline to start in 576CY and make extensive use of Easter eggs to reference the events of the Wars and Living Greyhawk years. For example, rather than outright calling Rary a traitor you could hint at that potential future by referring to some of the research he is doing on the Bright Desert, etc.

JeffB

Legend
Despite my comments in theFR thread, I would like to see a 5e GH. But they really would have to de-emphasize the political slant that has been amped up continuously since WARS and FTA appeared.

It needs to get back to its roots as a setting with a primary focus on adventures and exploration, not social/political conflict in and between nation-states.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Oddly, I answered this question already in this thread.

Basically, I'd like a new publication to come in a box and be somewhere between the 32-page Folio and all of what came in the '83 boxed set. What came in the LG Gazetteer was interesting, but way, way too much for a campaign setting the DM is supposed to know and grow with the PCs as the heroes.

ferratus

Adventurer
If I had to re-release Greyhawk for 5e, I'd do this:

1) Re-release the 1e materials with stats updated for 5e, but add in no new elements (new races/classes/options) that weren't in the original 1e materials.

2) Re-release the classic 1e modules, but add in no new elements.

3) Write new adventure modules (not adventure paths or setting material), which may use new ideas sparingly and are confined to that module. More "Isle of Dread, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, or Vault of the Drow" than the "Age of Worms" or "Savage Tide" adventure paths.

I don't think Greyhawk fans are necessarily intolerant of new setting fluff, they just want it to stay self-contained in a module and not leech out into the wider setting. Just as they don't want alien technology to exist in Greyhawk just because an alien spaceship landed in the barrier peaks, so too do they not want the backstory of a dragonborn empire just because an adventure module has dragon-men in it.

Ichneumon

First Post
A 5e Greyhawk could be the setting aimed at groups who choose to run their games as simply as possible. Similarly, there might be a 5e Eberron which aims to appeal to groups who want everything, the kitchen sink, and the whole vanity set as well. It'd be good to see campaign settings freed from the expectation that they must include everything somewhere, somehow.

Don't force DMs into acceding that G123 AGAINST THE GIANTS and so on have already happened, or that the TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL has risen, fallen, risen again, and fallen again.

Agreed.

But I would start from the LGG, with some Paizo AP material added. I'm a fan of Erik Mona.

I'd add Cauldron and Sasserine to the map and history, with them in an "unplayed" state by default, with notes on updating the descriptions if in your campaign, stuff has already happened there.

But most of all, I'd like to see Paizo own Greyhawk, and WOTC leave it alone.

A'koss

Explorer
I've always felt one of Greyhawk's real strengths lies in it's villains. Arguably, they have the best collection of villains of any setting and leveraging that should be a high priority.

Iggwilv
Vecna
Kas
Graz'zt
Acererak
Tharizdun
St. Kargoth
Iuz
Lord Robilar
Eclavdra
Lolth (even if FR effectively stole her)
The Princes of Elemental Evil
Demogorgon
Fraz'Urb'Luu
Tuerny the Merciless
Kyuss
The Queen of Chaos & Miska the Wolf-Spider

And how many classic artifacts & relics have Greyhawk ties?

I wouldn't mind seeing a little revamp of the existing nations to shake it up a little bit. Get more of these villains either controlling regions around the Flanaess or just being more actively involved. Bring in Citadel Cavitus as a floating fortress wreaking havoc across the land. Have Igwillv take over her son's territory (she's more interesting anyway...). The Sea of Dust, the Land of Black Ice, the Hellfurnaces... regions ripe for spicing up a little.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I've always felt one of Greyhawk's real strengths lies in it's villains. Arguably, they have the best collection of villains of any setting and leveraging that should be a high priority.
Don't forget the villainous organizations.

The Scarlet Brotherhood
The Horned Society
The Slavers
The (original) drow
The nobles families of the Great Kingdom

For what it's worth (not much)

My version of Greyhawk is a combination of the 1983 boxed set, the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer, alterations of the above, plus the SCAP adventure path, and results of actual play. Though the details will vary, I suspect a lot of people have customized Greyhawks like this.

In actual play, it's nearly all been in Bissel and Cauldron (the city in SCAP).

The easiest way to explain the overall combination is: it's LGG, but the Greyhawk Wars never happened as such. Instead:

1) The Great Kingdom collapsed in a massive civil war. It's just like LGG in results, but with less glam metal outer planar help in getting there, and more war, famine, and pestilence. Almor and Medegia were destroyed, and Nyrond was pulled in and weakened. Rel Astra, the North Province, and Ahlissa vie for power in a loose, exhausted peace.

2) Furyondy is at war with Iuz. Iuz conquered the Horned Society, the Bandit Kingdoms, and the Shield Lands, and menaces the Vesve, the Wolf Nomads, and the Barrens.

3) Unrelated to Iuz, Stonefist (not "Stonehold") has invade Tenh, and Nyrond is on its knees from fighting in the Great Kingdom, plus the threats from Iuz and Stonefist. Again, it looks like LGG, but got there will less glam metal.

4) Unrelated to Iuz or the Fall of the Great Kingdom, Lolth and the giants invade Sterich and Geoff. Due to successful adventuring by PC's (in G123Q1), these lands fought off the giants & drow, and are basically fine.

5) In secret alliance with Iuz, but for it's own reason partially triggered by PC's in the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, Ket has invaded Bissel. With its large standing army (there in 1983, missed in Greyhawk Wars it would seem), the help of the Velunese cavalry, and the help of Gran March Brotherhood of the Sword (who aren't need in Sterich and Geoff, thanks to the PC's), Bissel has recovered from early losses and is now in the ascendent.

6) A gate from the Yatil Mountains to Cauldron was just discovered by yet another party of PCs, in the Forge of Fury, connecting to the Malachite Fortress (in SCAP's Life's Bazaar). Only the PC's and the duergar now about it so far. The duergar are fighting for their lives against the White Kingdom (Kingdom of the Ghouls), with the Kuo-Toans and Mind Flayers as loose allies. The Drow are neutral and less important right now in the Underdark, what with the death of Lolth (thanks to PCs') and the destruction of their big attempt to invade the surface world. Cauldron and Sasserine were colonies of the Hold of Sea Princes, which has been conquered by the Scarlet Brotherhood (unrelated to the other conflicts).

7) There are other dark forces at work, besides Iuz and the Kettites and the Scarlet Brotherhood. PC's need to figure out who and why, but it's been set in motion by the above big issues in "latter day" Greyhawk. "Wheels within wheels", as Nitescreed used to say.

Remove ads