D&D 5E 5e Hardcore: Monster Manual

dave2008

Legend
Ok.
Looking at the ancient, shouldn't the tail attack be able to hit more than one creature? This thing is huge! Plus, it doesn't really have that many physical counterattacks due to legendary actions, tail costing two.
So maybe let tail affect more, or reduce cost to 1?

Then intent is that it is smacking one creature. I could do all of that, but that would push up its CR and I wanted to keep the CR the same. I have thought about adding a tail sweep attack that hits more creatures and make it cost 3 actions or just make it a standard action. I will think about it.

Oh, and the red dragon colossal mini's space is 40' x 40', just saying :cool:

Good point, but I have to leave some space for the Great Wyrm Red Dragon!

dave2008

Legend
Ok.
Looking at the ancient, shouldn't the tail attack be able to hit more than one creature? This thing is huge! Plus, it doesn't really have that many physical counterattacks due to legendary actions, tail costing two.
So maybe let tail affect more, or reduce cost to 1?

OK, I have updated the Ancient, Elder, and Adult dragons to include a tail sweep attack. Let me know what you think.

The standard action tail attack is still only one target, making it a waste of action. If you make it identical to the legendary action, it's better, plus you don't have two variants of the same attack.

dave2008

Legend
The standard action tail attack is still only one target, making it a waste of action. If you make it identical to the legendary action, it's better, plus you don't have two variants of the same attack.

1st - I like the ideas of 2 tail attacks: one a smash and one a sweep. That seems reasonable.

2nd -I had the tail attack because I didn't like the idea that a dragon couldn't use its tail if it didn't get legendary actions. That is a hold-over from before I re-wrote Legendary Actions. I should probably change that now.

3rd - I think I will probably make the sweep a standard action and the tail smash and sweep legendary actions, or maybe just the smash as a legendary action.

Thank you for the input - it is very helpful to think these things through with someone else.

dave2008

Legend
My pleasure. I was actually concerned that I was annoying you by questioning your design decisions over and over again.

I have uploaded the revised red dragons with the tail sweep as a standard action and the tail attack as a legendary action. I also added a legendary action fire aura to the ancient red. Let me know what you think.

dave2008

Legend
I realized I overwrote the Balor file when I made the Vargouille Swarm. So I took the opportunity to revise the balor a bit and reformat it. I will probably do this for the other demons too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases