• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e has everything it needs for Dark Sun

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage

Either he changed his mind between 2019 and 2020, or Anti-Magic Fields only affect -some- magics.

So it's less "Anti-Magic" and more "Anti-Magic-Items-Spells-And-Explicitly-Magical-Class-Abilities Field"

YMMV.

Yeah. Just gonna trash the Weave naughty word, entirely, in every setting I ever do. It clearly doesn't work, even for the designers who wrote it in the first place!
I am unable to view the tweet for some reason. Can you write out what it says?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I am unable to view the tweet for some reason. Can you write out what it says?
"The antimagic field spell in D&D affects spells, magic items, and other effects that are expressly magical. The spell doesn't care about the source of those things (arcane, divine, psionic, or something else). So some psionic effects would be affected and some wouldn't. #DnD"

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
"The antimagic field spell in D&D affects spells, magic items, and other effects that are expressly magical. The spell doesn't care about the source of those things (arcane, divine, psionic, or something else). So some psionic effects would be affected and some wouldn't. #DnD"
The Antimagic Field affects ALL "effects that are magical".

The spell doesnt care about the source of the magic.

Psionic is a magical source, just like arcane and divine are magical sources.

Apparently, some forms of magic are not magical "effects".

But psionic is explicitly magical.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That would indicates to me that psionic spellcasting is magic, but the illithid mind blast would be since it's expressly magical, but the psychic damage caused by the tentacle would not be stopped.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Its worth noting that a lot of Paladin and eldritch Knight features aren't "magical".
Paladins can heal, Eldritch knights can teleport. Wizards can transmute matter, create illusions, teleport etc without using magic.

I think that some of the issues of the current discussion are caused by some using the word 'magic' to describe a supernatural effect called into being to perform, a change in reality, and some are using the word to only in its rules mechanics definition.

So: What is a good word to describe healing, teleportation, etc that isn't magic?
Would 'supernatural' do?
I'd shut down Eldritch Knights entirely in an Anti-Magic field. Even their teleportation stuff. Why, you might ask?
The archetypal Eldritch Knight combines the martial mastery common to all fighters with a careful study of magic. Eldritch Knights use magical techniques similar to those practiced by wizards. They focus their study on two of the eight schools of magic: abjuration and evocation. Abjuration spells grant an Eldritch Knight additional protection in battle, and evocation spells deal damage to many foes at once, extending the fighter's reach in combat. These knights learn a comparatively small number of spells, committing them to memory instead of keeping them in a spellbook.
'Cause their whole subclass and it's abilities is expressly described as magical.

That said, maybe the writers are using the term "Magic" to mean literally anything which isn't basic physics. But then they had the sidebar in the Psionic Subclasses document where they -explicitly- state that Psionics isn't magic. In it, they explicitly state that it is a "Supernatural Power" like you're suggesting.

Psi is a supernatural power that emanates from the mind. Like other forms of supernatural power in D&D, it can be used to create magical phenomena, yet it can create other sorts of phenomena as well.
Honestly... that should be the end of the question. The developers have clearly decided, in 2020, that Psionics aren't Magic. They're supernatural, and can create magical phenomena. But are not -themselves- magical.

When the designers release their Psionics Handbook or equivalent for 5e, they'll put that sidebar in it. Or even make it it's own entry, I'm sure.

And they decided to put that out there on April 14th 2020. 6 days before Crawford went back on his "Psionics are Magic" statement from 2019.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It should be easy enough for a DM to make a call about whether or not a class ability works in an anti-magic field. If it seems overtly magical such as calling a sword to your hand or teleporting then say that anti-magic prevents them. This can include psionics if you've decided that they count as magic. All that really matters is if DMs have a basic idea for what does and does not count as magical in their campaign setting.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
That would indicates to me that psionic spellcasting is magic, but the illithid mind blast would be since it's expressly magical, but the psychic damage caused by the tentacle would not be stopped.
If the psychic damage of the tentacle is an "effect", I would assume the Antimagic Field would suppress it.

Perhaps it compares to dragon breath, would an Antimagic Field prevent a dragon from breathing fire?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If the psychic damage of the tentacle is an "effect", I would assume the Antimagic Field would suppress it.

Perhaps it compares to dragon breath, would an Antimagic Field prevent a dragon from breathing fire?
But it's not expressly magical and not all psionic effects are magical, per Crawford's tweet above.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
But it's not expressly magical and not all psionic effects are magical, per Crawford's tweet above.
Not all psionic effects are "spells", but all psionic effects are "magical".

The weird possibility is, not all forms of magic are "effects".

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Not all psionic effects are "spells", but all psionic effects are "magical".

The weird possibility is, not all forms of magic are "effects".
Or not all effects are magical.

"The antimagic field spell in D&D affects spells, magic items, and other effects that are expressly magical. The spell doesn't care about the source of those things (arcane, divine, psionic, or something else). So some psionic effects would be affected and some wouldn't.

He's very clearly saying that there are psionic effects that are not magical.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads