D&D 5E 5e Hexblade Paladin

Noxumbra

Villager
I am playing a half elf oath of conquest paladin level 7, hexblade warlock level 6. Charisma of 20. Going sword and board. Full plate(18), plus 1 shield (+3), ring and cloak of protection (+2), and defences fighting style (+1) for and A/C of 24. And then add shield of faith and the shield spell.

I am trying to figure out which level to take next. Level paladin to 10 or maybe take so.e sorcerer level to get more divine smite.

Any advice would be appreciated.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I am playing a half elf oath of conquest paladin level 7, hexblade warlock level 6. Charisma of 20. Going sword and board. Full plate(18), plus 1 shield (+3), ring and cloak of protection (+2), and defences fighting style (+1) for and A/C of 24. And then add shield of faith and the shield spell.

I am trying to figure out which level to take next. Level paladin to 10 or maybe take so.e sorcerer level to get more divine smite.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think shield of faith is a wasted concentration slot. Instead use wrathful smite with your low level slots. Fear is huge and helps you and your party members.

You should get paladin to 11 asap. Improved divine

Iry

Hero
Warlock 7 gives you 4th level casting, +1 spell known, and +1 invocation.
That seems like the biggest payoff, unless you are dying for a feat.
Banishing people is delicious.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Warlock 7 gives you 4th level casting, +1 spell known, and +1 invocation.
That seems like the biggest payoff, unless you are dying for a feat.
Banishing people is delicious.

Agreed.

After that, I would go Paladin 8 and Warlock 8 to get 2 ASI/Feat on back to back levels.

Then the question is Paladin 11/Warlock 9
  • Paladin 11 gets you 3rd level Paladin spells, Aura of Courage, Improved Divine Smite (+1d8 radiant on all hits),
  • Warlock 9 gets you +1 Invocation, +1 Spells, 5th level slots
Or Paladin 10/Warlock 10
  • The difference from above is you lose Improved Divine Smite
  • Gain: 10th level Hexblade - Armor of hexes - 50% chance to negate a hit on you by your Hex curse target

jgsugden

Legend
Why is he a paladin of conquest / hexblade? What has he been doing? What is the story leading him towards?

What mechankcs seem like the most fun to use? Do they fit the story?

I'd be primarily worried about how to make the PC more fun from a storytelling perspective. Right now, you sound like a PC that has has more than enough defense to survive a lot, and as a paladin you always have a lot of offense... so I'd spend the time focusing on choices that make the PC more interesting as a character rather than more interesting mechanically.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Why not do both? An interesting character choice is not always an interesting mechanic, while an interesting mechanic can always be made an interesting character choice! 🤗
I wish we still had signatures so I could make this my signature.

Longspeak

Adventurer
Different people play for different reasons, and get different things out of it. I'm of the "do both" camp myself, with character and story edging out mechanics when they conflict. For example, my character took a level in Cleric. It was mechanically a terrible idea, but in the context of my Thief/Ranger's ongoing story, it was the perfect choice.

But if someone has fun by optimizing the mechanics, that's legit. In that light, I join those favoring Warlock 7 first. With an eye toward Paladin 11, Warlock 9 by level 20.

Remove ads