D&D 5E 5e Inventory Tracking Sheet (with Simplified Encumbrance)

designbot

Explorer
I have just uploaded 5e Inventory Tracking Sheet (with Simplified Encumbrance) to the downloads area.

This sheet is an attempt to combine the simple encumbrance system of Lamentations of the Flame Princess with the D&D 5th Edition rules. Your feedback is welcome.

Credit is due to James Raggi and Mattias Wikström, who have implemented similar systems.

You can find the file here in the downloads section. Please use this thread for comments.

Last edited:

the_redbeard

Explorer
Thanks, I was hoping someone had done this, somewhere.

I must say though I liked one of the original slot sizing questions: "Can you palm it?" - too small to count. "Can you hold a group of them in your hand?" - a bundle counts as a slot. "Can you hold it with one hand?" it's a slot. "Do you need two hands?" - it counts as more than one slot.

designbot

Explorer
I must say though I liked one of the original slot sizing questions: "Can you palm it?" - too small to count. "Can you hold a group of them in your hand?" - a bundle counts as a slot. "Can you hold it with one hand?" it's a slot. "Do you need two hands?" - it counts as more than one slot.

Good suggestion, and running the numbers, I think this is actually more accurate. Check out the latest version.

the_redbeard

Explorer
Thanks. Favorited. One thing: most groups record treasure on a group sheet, right? A while back we decided that we'd use Lamentations-style encumbrance, but on the group treasure sheet. So each person would tell the treasure recorder (we'd call them the quartermaster and give them an exp bonus for their pains) how many slots they'd have before their next "break point". My co-DM wanted a more finely graduated system than strength in items that I think was too punishing in practice. But here's what the sheet looked like.

Would you be up for sharing the word file if I kept your credit on the sheet?

Ezel

First Post
This is brilliant. Definitely going to use it at my table.
It's so elegant, it doesn't get too finnicky in counting weird details of the shape of bags or the exact weight of things, while it still makes it harder for players to just stack up infinite pounds of stuff like it's nothing.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I don't like how characters that start with heavy armour are likely to start out encumbered just from the starting equipment given to them by their class. To me that represents the character's standard stuff that they'd always have on them. I get that people want a model more like real life, but I feel like heavy armour should be a boon and not a trade off.

I like the simplicity of the slots though. For my game I might take the concept but reassign weights for various things. I want to get it to a point where characters can carry their standard equipment without worry, but struggle when they come across 2 chests overflowing with silver pieces.

JValeur

Explorer
I don't like how characters that start with heavy armour are likely to start out encumbered just from the starting equipment given to them by their class. To me that represents the character's standard stuff that they'd always have on them. I get that people want a model more like real life, but I feel like heavy armour should be a boon and not a trade off.

I like the simplicity of the slots though. For my game I might take the concept but reassign weights for various things. I want to get it to a point where characters can carry their standard equipment without worry, but struggle when they come across 2 chests overflowing with silver pieces.

I use this sheet, but introduced a backpack system to it. Basically everything that fits in one of the starter kits (like Dungeoneer's pack or whatever) only fills 1 slot. I think that keep's a smidge of realism, while not putting anyone instantly into heavily burdened. But my characters do have to think about, how many weapons they bring, or what they pick up.

Ezel

First Post
I think adding to the archive also a "light" version with the armor points set to around half of the current required slots would be for the best.
Something like: Padded/Leather (1), Studded/Hide (2), Chain Shirt / Breastplate (3), Half Plate / Ring Mail (4), Scale Mail (5), Chain Mail (6), Splint (7), Plate (8).
So that someone with a plate and 16 strength still has 8 slots free, like a wizard with 8 strength and no armor. No need for extreme realism, just enough to give the feeling of realism, with some calculated balance thrown in.

I would do it myself but I would have to re-do the whole thing from scratch and I'm not that good at formatting. So I can only say please :'P

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases