D&D 5E 5e is Fun to play, as a player

So until a few months ago, I had only been a DM for 5e, not a player.

The game is fun to be a player in.

I did not always feel that way in 1e and 3e. Sometimes, being a player was quite UNFUN, in either of those games.
4e was always a blast...(it had to be, beyond blasting, impeding, or sliding things, the Wizard didn’t do much else 😄)

So, who here recently got to jump over to the player side of the DM screen?
What would you rank 5e as player, enjoyment wise?

IMO, it depends on the DM, it always has. My age also effects it, as I'e matured, I've cared less for optimizing and endless options ans 'crunchy' stuff. So, not only does it depend on the GM, but on what'm looking for in a game.

That said, yes, 5E is fun as a player :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, who here recently got to jump over to the player side of the DM screen?

I did. Party's just about to take on the climax of Dragon of Icespire Peak.

What would you rank 5e as player, enjoyment wise?

In some ways it is hard to tell, just because I haven't got to just be a player for more than an isolated session in a long time. I would say that if someone asked me, "I want to run some flavor of D&D, which edition would you most enjoy playing?" I'd probably pick 5e.

5e I think is just the right amount of optimization.

All the bits from 1e. Subclasses feel like better, more balanced versions of Kits, from 2e.

Feats are still in, if you want, and less planning intensive and overall better designed then 3e feats.

4e adds Short Rest Healing.

Spells are about as balanced between both Spells of the Same Spell Level, and between the other elements of the system as has ever been.

Party's just about to take on the climax of Dragon of Icespire Peak.

I just entered Wave Echo Cave in one Campaign. 😀

So in the entire group,(Including the DM), I am the only person that had any Forgotten Realms familiarity.

My only complaint is I wish, certain classic tropes were not used.....it wasn’t hard to guess what the various mysteries where from my ambient D&D lore. Gee I wonder what “Black Spider” is🤦‍♂️

Other then that,( albeit), small quibble, Essentials/Starter set is fun to play for sure.

Iry

Hero
5E is in a really good place. I'm still looking forward to 5.1 with some minor tweaks like the race/culture thing, removing bonus actions from two weapon fighting, and dropping concentration on a few spells.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy.

Maybe some stuff about joining organizations and/or investing funds in lands, trade, or troops.

I can't see myself ever changing from 5E. It's good. It allows very free and open roleplay and character building, as well as gritty dungeon crawls and hack-and-slash games. And in all campaigns that I play - both as player and DM - we go back and forth between those play styles.

What's so brilliant is that we hardly ever spend a lot of time looking up the rules, and NEVER spend time doing complicated calculations. If you can count to 30, you can play D&D 5E.

So, 5E as a set of rules for D&D doesn't need any updates for me. Also, I have no need for expansions with more classes, races or backgrounds. But I do think that it'd be nice to get a few more updates for the Forgotten Realms for 5E. There is no world map for example. All world maps are from earlier versions, and 5E supplied only the Sword coast and some more zoomed-in maps of areas.

Azuresun

Adventurer
But I do think that it'd be nice to get a few more updates for the Forgotten Realms for 5E. There is no world map for example. All world maps are from earlier versions, and 5E supplied only the Sword coast and some more zoomed-in maps of areas.

Personally, if I wanted to run a Forgotten Realms game, I'd just use the 3e book.

Not aimed at you, but I really don't get the desire for a 5e "update". I was there in the 90's, I've had my fill of metaplot that comes down to "we blew up the setting and killed off a bunch of NPC's you liked, then tried to soft retcon the blowing up as best we could". :)

Raith5

Adventurer
My experience is from three campaigns where the highest level we got to was 8th. I am enjoying it a lot. I do think I would like a bit more optimization and customisation choices - especially for the martial types - 4e changed my perspective on what these types of classes can be quite a bit. But I do think the casters are great in 5e. I have really liked the Warlock and Clerics I have played.

There are some general mechanisms I dont like in terms of making the PCs I like to play: too may spells with concentration, I dont like the Feat/Attribute choice (I am not sure the approach of big feats has worked frankly in terms of customization - I think 3e and 4e did this better), stat modifiers for race and some other smaller things. But overall I enjoy being a player in my campaigns.

Remove ads