D&D 5E 5e is Fun to play, as a player

I've always enjoyed being a player or a DM in any system. But I do find myself DM'ing more, since I enjoy world building and campaign prep so much.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I've been a Forever DM since 1995, and it's incredibly rare that I get to sit on the other side of the screen. However, those opportuniries have been more plentiful for me in 5e than they were previously.

I really enjoy 5e as a player; I don't give two whits about massive amounts of crunchy options, so I had a blast playing warlocks, thieves, and fighters (I seriously dislike 5e's Wizard; IMO it's easily the worst class in the edition and I've actually just disallowed it in campaigns I've run).

I think warlocks should have access to martial weapons by default and I think Eldritch Blast is a plague upon the world, but I really dug my fighters and my Thief character was the best experience I've had playing D&D in like 20 years. It helped that the AL games where I was playing had FANTASTIC DMs, and we had a really good group of players too (I poached a few for my own campaigns).

I think 5e is too complicated mechanically while also being kind of uninspiring mechanically in many ways, but those issues don't really come up much as a player IMO. My first and greatest love will always be as a GM, but as it turns out 5e rocks from both sides of the screen.

shesheyan

Explorer
I'm a forever DM. I can only recall playing 2-3 games of Curse of Strahd before the campaign folded. I played a human arcaniste rogue. I liked it a lot. Very different than my 2e gnome thief illusionist.

This makes me realize I was never a player in a game of 3e and 4e. :oops:

Asisreo

Patron Badass
5e is the edition with the least headache to play, imo. Most people just want to sit down and play the game, which 5e allows. You'll have a maximum of 25 spells to prepare as any given caster, which controls the roughly 100-200 spells you have available to you as a caster but also allows for a good amount of freedom.

Once you understand the playstyle for a class, it almost sings. It still takes a while to get used to using limited resources at the correct time, but if you're extremely bad with those, you can always change to an easier to understand class.

It isn't overwhelming. As some has stated, it's not necessarily a completely rules-lite game but it isn't overwhelming with crunch that you need a Degree in Mathematics just to know what happens with a Lich's drain life or something. Ultimately, yeah it's good.

Retreater

Legend
I just got to join an online 5e D&D game when quarantine started. Normally I DM and only get to play at convention events, so this was my first home game of D&D in over three years.
I tend to be a picky player. I have a very fast paced style of high adventure (or at least, interesting things happening). Not true in other campaigns. Most recently we had multiple sessions of gathering mundane supplies and trekking across the wilderness, rolling mostly weather events and roleplaying our watch rotations. Then we got to the "dungeon" that had one easily avoidable trap, two easy combat encounters, and a negotiation.
So it's hard to find a group that fits my style where I can also play. The system seems "okay."
My complaint is that, even when I'm DMing, there's not enough interesting things to do in combats that go on more than a couple rounds. I was running a climactic fight recently and my fiancee had a 9th level fighter. A few rounds into it, she had already used her action surge and second wind. Her brother (playing the rogue) was doing the same thing every round: reaction for half damage, attack and try to get sneak attack.
While casters get more options through spells, martial classes are not only not powerful enough but they're boring. At the very least, I think martial abilities that recharge on a short rest should have a recharge die mechanic (similar to the dragon's breath weapon).
I would only play a 5e martial class in a one shot.

I just got to join an online 5e D&D game when quarantine started. Normally I DM and only get to play at convention events, so this was my first home game of D&D in over three years.
I tend to be a picky player. I have a very fast paced style of high adventure (or at least, interesting things happening). Not true in other campaigns. Most recently we had multiple sessions of gathering mundane supplies and trekking across the wilderness, rolling mostly weather events and roleplaying our watch rotations. Then we got to the "dungeon" that had one easily avoidable trap, two easy combat encounters, and a negotiation.
So it's hard to find a group that fits my style where I can also play. The system seems "okay."
My complaint is that, even when I'm DMing, there's not enough interesting things to do in combats that go on more than a couple rounds. I was running a climactic fight recently and my fiancee had a 9th level fighter. A few rounds into it, she had already used her action surge and second wind. Her brother (playing the rogue) was doing the same thing every round: reaction for half damage, attack and try to get sneak attack.
While casters get more options through spells, martial classes are not only not powerful enough but they're boring. At the very least, I think martial abilities that recharge on a short rest should have a recharge die mechanic (similar to the dragon's breath weapon).
I would only play a 5e martial class in a one shot.
Environmental effects. Use them.

TheSword

Legend
I’ve played all editions. Mainly DMing but playing in about 1/4 of sessions. 5e is definitely the most fun for me to DM and play. Combination of action economy maximization feeling like there are multiple things I can do in a round and quick judgements mean I feel my choices as a player that don’t fit into established rules still have weight.

4e felt constricting as a player and a DM.

3e was fun but sooooooo complicated after the first three or four years.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I've found every edition fun; 5e is no different in that regard. The play isn't as consistently fun as 4e, but it's less overwhelming than 3E could get. Some classes are a little less fun, I agree with the above posters that the official 5e martials can be a little underwhelming, but overall it's quite enjoyable.

Of course, most RPGs are enjoyable, you just have to embrace the system's strong points and minimize their weaknesses.

Remove ads