D&D 5E [5e] Need help with the spell selection for my heavy sorcerer cutthroat

Corran21

First Post
The idea is a Paladin2/ Rogue3 (Assassin)/ Warlock 1/ Sorcerer 14.
NOTE: Below, I analyze a few aspects of this build. You can skip it and jump straight to the end of the post, reading the edit and the ps part.

I am not set on the sorcerous origin, but suppose the unofficial shadow origin (though without the powerful lvl 6 feature hound of ill omen). Though this is not set and stone. Also I have not made my final decision on race, stat destribution and every other detail (though I have a very specific idea about most of the build). Every option interacts with every possible choice, and I thought that deciding on the spell selection would put me in the right track of finalizing the rest of my decisions concerning this build. So this is what I ask for help with, to come up with my final spell list for this character.

The charisma score will definitely influence the spell selection. The charisma of this character will not be lower than 14 for sure, and it can reach up to 18 if I push it. So charisma will be 14 or 16 or 18. The spell selection will influence this decision (and vice versa). So when suggesting spells assume 14<=cha<=18.

I ve already decided on twinned and quickened metamagic, leaving me one more metamagic to add to the list. Again, I expect the spell selection to influence the choice of my 3rd metamagic option. So when suggesting spells, assume twinned, quickened, and one more metamagic.

I understand that many people work the other way around, ie decide on casting score (eg low or high int for EK or other gish) or pick metamagics for sorcerer and then select the spells that better work with it. But I approach this subject in a slightly different way, meaning that I want to find combinations between spells and features, and then tailor the final choices around these combos.

For example, in this build, so far what I ve got, is greater invisibility (possibly twinned if ally with GWM/SS or rogue) + cunning action hide + BB on subsequent rounds. Same trick works with darkness if I can play the shadow sorcerer. Also twinned BB + cunning action disengage is another tactic I want to employ with this build. And assassinate with quicken cantrip as bonus action and BB (twinned if possible) as main action and smites on top of that, with spells that make assassinating easier (such as invisibility, or disguise/alter self). And quickened upcast hold person can occasionally be useful. Oh, and quickened armor of agathys upcast, hence that single level of warlock (which blends well with paladin2/sorcerer14 cause of that 8th level slot and generally the rest of high level slots in my disposal).

Now to the question at hand.
I have decided on some spells and I am almost certain about some other ones, though feel free to criticise any of my choices and suggest different ones. Given I will know 13 sorcerer spells, and given that I know armor of agathys and hellish rebuke from warlock 1 (and possibly darkness if shadow sorcerer), I am thinking of the following spells. Shield, Disguise or alter self, invisibility, misty step, mirror image or blink, hold person, greater invisibility, dimension door, counterspell. I am also thinking of possibly grabbing some of etherialness, disintegrate, haste, polymorph, banishment, animate objects.

The thing that troubles me, is how it would be best to use my spell slots. For example I have tons of ways to use my slots up to 4th level (including burning these slots to smite if necessary), and I am thinking that armor of agathys can be used with my high level slots every now and then. That said, I definitely want one 7th and one 6th level spell to have in my arsenal, so I guess that would be the easier place to start bombing me with your suggestions. What 6th and 7th level spell should I choose?

It is clear that the main strategy I want to employ is exploiting visibility conditions with cunning action to hide. Though this will not be a valid choice against certain types of enemies. And I also would like to mix and match tactics, just to refresh things. So I am also wondering of alternative strategies (possibly involving some concentration spell). Perhaps twinn hasting my allies while I stay back and try my luck from range, or even risking it in melee with mirror image or blink, and hoping that disengage via cunning action will be enough to keep me safe from being forced to make concentraion checks? Or animate objects for minion fun? Or hold/banishement and then just spam BB + disengage? Other thoughts on alternative strategies?

spell level................spell slots...........................spell used with this slot
1.......................4 +1/ short rest....................shield, hellish rebuke, (disguise self?)
2.................................3................invisibility, misty step, hold person, (alter self?), (mirror image?)
3.................................3................counterspell, (haste?), (blink?), (invisibility II if another stealthy)
4.................................3...................greater invisibility, dimension door, (banishment?), (polymorph?)
5.................................2..............................(banishment II, hold person IV, armor of agathys V) ?
6.................................1...............................(disintegrate to use against low dex targets?)
7.................................1.......................................? (maybe etherealness?)
8.................................1*.......................armor of agathys VIII, (counterspell when it really matters?)

*dont know any 8th level spell, but can use the slot to upcast any other known spells.

Edit: So essentially I am asking for help determining which 13 sorcerer spells (up to 7th level spells) I should choose.
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)

ps: Remember, charisma can be as low as 14, or as high as 18, there is room to play with this score. Also, remember that I have one more metamagic to choose, besides quickened and twinned that I want to have for certain.

Last edited:

faria

First Post
Counterspell is a strong pick for any build. Works the same no matter how high your opponents' stats are, making this a great spell to use against magic-using BBEGs.

Disintegrate is insane damage, but I wouldn't take it unless you're also taking Heightened Spell (Metamagic). Heightened Spell is somewhat expensive (3 Sorcery Points), but Disintegrate damage is twice as high as other spells, so it's like 2 damaging spells in one action. It's important that you land it.

Polymorph is both fun and great utility when you don't already have a Druid in the group. This spell will give you stories, and frankly, that's what you keep with you for decades after your game ends.

Haste is amazeballs, especially when you Twin it, but you need the right group. Heavy melee with lots of Extra Attack. Otherwise, Twin Invisibility or Greater Invisibility is a better use of your Concentration.

Corran21

First Post
Counterspell is a strong pick for any build. Works the same no matter how high your opponents' stats are, making this a great spell to use against magic-using BBEGs.
Yeah, I decided to take this spell no matter what. Even if the group I am playing with has another spellcaster with this spell, it is just too useful to pass up. Useful to have if I try to assassinate a spellcaster too if there is no one else with me.

Disintegrate is insane damage, but I wouldn't take it unless you're also taking Heightened Spell (Metamagic). Heightened Spell is somewhat expensive (3 Sorcery Points), but Disintegrate damage is twice as high as other spells, so it's like 2 damaging spells in one action. It's important that you land it.
I ve done some thinking on disintegrate and heighten spell. Heighten basically makes casting disintegrate a worthy option for your action more often. Disintegrate imo is a situational spell, meaning that you should cast it against low dex enemies or under certain circumstances (enemy is restrained, etc). Under suboptimal circumstances (higher risk of the enemy saving), it loses steam and other options (casting a cantrip or another spell) may be better options. Heighten just ensures that it will be worth it for me to use disintegrate more often. I have one free metamagic to take at sorcerer 10, one level before I take disintegrate, so I could do it. Though I am considering how wise it would be for me to take heighten for just this one spell. Though I am not sure if I have something better to do with that metamagic I get at level 10. I am thinking of taking disintegrate because quite frankly I like how badass this spell is, at worst case scenario of not getting heighten, I will use it situationaly against opponents that seem to have a low dex. My main concern though is, if there is a better 6th level spell than disintegrate for me.

Polymorph is both fun and great utility when you don't already have a Druid in the group. This spell will give you stories, and frankly, that's what you keep with you for decades after your game ends.
Thanks for this advice, I was thinking of skipping polymorph, but I think I will take it just for the fun it can bring (twinning it on allies can actually be quite good now that I think of it).

Haste is amazeballs, especially when you Twin it, but you need the right group. Heavy melee with lots of Extra Attack. Otherwise, Twin Invisibility or Greater Invisibility is a better use of your Concentration.
I have given this some thought. As you said, it will depend on the rest of the party. If we have at least 2 heavy hitters (GWM/SS/rogue), then it is a solid choice, and I will probably take it (despite the risk of losing concentration, especially if I am in melee - heck, maybe in this one fight I could just stay at a range and let my teammates shine, helping teammates is always good). Though if we dont have 2 heavy hitters, I think I will pass on it, and let polymorph be the spell by which I will buff my allies.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

--------------------------------------------------------
I think I ve settled down on 6 of my 13 spells, those being greater invisibility, invisibility, misty step, counterspell, hold person and polymorph.

For the rest 7, I am thinking something along the lines of:
1) Disguise self or alter self
2) Mirror image or blink
3) One 6th level spell (is there something better than disintegrate?)
4) One 7th level spell (not sure which one to choose)
5) ?
6) ?
7) ?

Last edited:

faria

First Post
You know what's funny? I never saw Polymorph as a buff spell. I thought it was for utility, control, and escapes. But I just reread it and apparently you can turn a party member in a beast with the same CR as your level. So you can make a teammate into a beast that's considered hard enough for 3-5 players of the same level to beat. You're making your teammate 3-5x as strong. That's a hell of a buff.

I guess I should be thanking you too.

Corran21

First Post
And you can even use twinned metamagic with it, to have it affect two allies. If you can keep your concentration up, and if you cast it at the proper allies (meaning that dpr's wont benefit that much), then it is a good use of slots and sorcery points. T-Rex is one of the stronger forms, giant ape is strong too. Thing is, I am not to convinced about how acccurately the CR's portray a creature's power, as most of the time the fights against appropriate level CR's are quite easy.

Anyway, I decided on my spell list. Sorcerer 14 will give me:
1) Shield
2) Alter self
3) Invisibility
4) Misty step
5) Hold person
6) Mirror image or blink
7) Counterspell
8) Haste or polymorph (for buffing allies using twinned)
9) Greater invisibility
10) Dimension door
11) Creation
12) Disintegrate
13) Etherealness

From warlock 1 I will choose:
1) Armor of agahtys
2) Hellish rebuke

Metamagics are:
1) Quickened
2) Twinned
3) Heightened or subtle

Charisma score will be fixed at 14, as I think investing in it is not essential, given my spell selection.

Remove ads