Planescape 5e Planescape- What would you like to see in the upcoming setting?

The Lady of Pain is effectively the Goddess of Sigil (though yes I know she isn't a Deity), you aren't supposed to directly interact with Gods in most campaigns.
If her entire purpose is to just be god-cop of Sigil -- and to be clear I don't disagree with that -- then have the good graces to make her boring! Don't put her on the cover and then have her the only detailed NPC. Don't make her face the logo! I don't know how you could possibly make her more front-and-center.

She's the sigil of Sigil!

Vaalingrade

Legend
If her entire purpose is to just be god-cop of Sigil -- and to be clear I don't disagree with that -- then have the good graces to make her boring! Don't put her on the cover and then have her the only detailed NPC. Don't make her face the logo! I don't know how you could possibly make her more front-and-center.

She's the sigil of Sigil!
I mean she's the mascot and main character, but I assure you that she aggressively boring.

So the PCs 142% absolutely will.
Yeah, this.

In most campaigns the PCs won't interact with the gods because in most campaigns the gods are off in their own faraway realms somewhere (or possibly have no physical existence at all), and aren't literally right there floating around the streets of the major city in the campaign, where some jerk rogue is ALWAYS going to try to pickpocket them.

If the Lady of Pain is going to be a major feature of Sigil, there needs to be some better guidelines for how PCs interact with her. Sure, most Sigilites will never interact with her, but PCs aren't most people and they do things that most people won't. 'Banished to the Mazes forever' sounds great on paper, but what does it mean when it actually happens to your PC party, for instance?

It means the setting has rules that are beyond the PCs. They broke them, and lost.

But their lives go on. The PCs aren't the only ones who've ever been banished to the Mazes. What's in there? What societies have developed among the maze-exiled? When one is in the Mazes, what does one do all day? An RPG campaign is the story of the characters, and shouldn't arbitrarily end because of a place where the characters find themselves, no matter how much responsibility numbskull PCs bear for their own predicament.

Laurefindel

Legend
She was more like Sigil's landlord than a cop. She was perfectly fine with letting in celestials and fiends into Sigil as long as they behaved themselves. And if someone tried to mess with her, they were either found dead, their bodies sliced up into ribbons. Or she banished them to her interdimensional mazes.
I've always seen the Lady of Pain as the setting's boogieman ensuring that kids are in bed by 7pm. "I don't care if you're 20th level, don't cause trouble or else the Lady will get you!".

Honestly, pondering back on our games in the 90s, it kindda took blunt DM tools like this to keep the PCs from being total dicks as soon as they reached 6th-7th level...

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I want to see a 5e version of the Sword of the Planes. It's a thematic classic magic item that hasn't had any 5e love. It will need some re-imagining, of course.

The factions are a must. I'd like to see some of the Planescape races return. Bariaurs and modrons are a must.

I always thought the slang sounded goofy, but my guess is that's a must for PS fans.

I know a lot of people love Tony DiTerlizzi's art. While I like it, it just didn't sell Planescape to me. Maybe get an artist who makes it look more like D&D but uses some of the DiTerlizzi inspiration?

Just random thoughts. I'm going to give this a better chance this time than I did when it first came out.

Remove ads