D&D 5E 5e Players: How often have you been allowed to use 3PP?

How often have you been allowed to use 3PP as a 5e player?

• Poll closed .

Starfox

Hero
I have 2 DMs who don’t allow homebrew. The other 10 (plus myself) all allow it, with the obvious caveat of “let me look it over first”.
Sadly, a lot of 3P content is crap. I generally rewrite anything I import this way and post it on the campaign wiki. So saying I allow "3P-inspired" is perhaps more correct than saying I allow 3P content.

GrimCo

Adventurer
I voted for more often than not.

If there is something cool and it fits, both of DMs are ok with it. TBH, we rarely if ever do use it cause there isn't online SRD for 3P content.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Sadly, a lot of 3P content is crap. I generally rewrite anything I import this way and post it on the campaign wiki. So saying I allow "3P-inspired" is perhaps more correct than saying I allow 3P content.
There is certainly plenty of substandard material out there. But there are plenty of excellent creators who are putting stuff out that's more creative, and more balanced, than the official offerings.

A little bit of curation goes a long way.

Hussar

Legend
I have always allowed 3pp in my games but I find that most players don’t even bother asking. Bits and bobs here and there but it’s pretty rare that anyone tries.

Starfox

Hero
And a lot of 3PP is great. I think truisms like this hurt 3PP overall; instead, we should evaluate works on their own merits, not just assume.
That a lot of 3PP is crap does not mean that a lot of 3PP can also be great - as long as "a lot" is less than 50%. :) And even then, tastes differ. I was not stating a truism, I was making an evaluation according to my own tastes. Some 1PP are also in need of edits, even if I am sometimes over-zealous with this.

Another reason to edit 3PP and put it on my wiki is also to make it available to all players, few of whom are up to date on the 3PP scene.

aco175

Legend
Right now I only have one player that will bring in a new class or something. I'm planning to buy A5e or TOV if I do not like the new PHB coming out to allow some more options.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
My entire group tends to purchase various 3pp material for us to use, and I have a large catalogue of about...315 pdfs of such material (a few might just be homebrew downloads and not proper 3pp but most are) with a few more I've got my eye on.

Various new subclasses, feats, and spells are available for my players to look through to create their characters. I also have a long list of magic items, power boons, and class/level enhancements that I can reward the players with during the campaign, several of which are inspired by 4e powers, paragon paths, and epic destinies. I also have a crap ton of monsters and monster variants that I can pick and choose from, and various books that allow me to enhance my monsters by adding Lair Actions, Legendary and Mythical actions, Bloodied effects, and templates to spice things up. Not to mention just Frankensteining a monster by pulling various stats, abilities and actions together from the large list.

Only the PC species are not from 3pp, as I instead either just augmented the existing races or created news ones myself. I'm currently considering making more expanded species by having them unlock more enhanced features as they get higher level, but I haven't settled on anything for that at this time.

Of course I don't use everything from these books whole sale. I've taken the time to look through all this material and take what I want to use from them, sometimes as they are presented and sometimes with my own modifications.

Remove ads