Unearthed Arcana 5E Psionics Alert! The Mystic Is Back In Unearthed Arcana

It's back! The long-awaited new version of the mystic - 5th Edition's psionic class - is here. "The mystic class, a master of psionics, has arrived in its entirety for you to try in your D&D games. Thanks to your playtest feedback on the class’s previous two versions, the class now goes to level 20, has six subclasses, and can choose from many new psionic disciplines and talents. Explore the material here—there’s a lot of it—and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana." Click the image below for the full 28-page PDF!

It's back! The long-awaited new version of the mystic - 5th Edition's psionic class - is here. "The mystic class, a master of psionics, has arrived in its entirety for you to try in your D&D games. Thanks to your playtest feedback on the class’s previous two versions, the class now goes to level 20, has six subclasses, and can choose from many new psionic disciplines and talents. Explore the material here—there’s a lot of it—and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana." Click the image below for the full 28-page PDF!

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 23.05.19.png
SaveSave
SaveSave

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm absolutely fine with the Wu Jen being in the Mystic, as it never really had anything to stand out on it's own when it was just another type of Arcane spellcaster. The Elementalist specializations back in 2e's Tome of Magic and the Sha'ir in Al-Quadim completely overshadowed the Wu Jen as just another type of Arcane caster.

That makes for a better argument for letting the wu jen slide into oblivion, rather than turning it into something it never was. It'd be like raking the name ranger and applying it to a main healer class. :/

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/12/31/psionic-mystic-finished-level-1-20-design/ states that they're planning on making another OA class, the Sohei into the Psionic subclass of the Fighter.

Really? Instead of simply being a non-psionic paladin subclass where it would logically fit? I guess Asians are all psionic now.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
On a different note - I really don't want to see the Soulknife as a Rogue subclass, simply because why not a Ranger or Fighter subclass? The original Soulknife wasn't particularly a sneaky skill-monkey with occasional stabbings, which is what the 5E Rogue really is.

Are you looking at the same soulknife as me? Because it had Hide and Move Silently in its skill list making it kinda sneaky, and got a decent 4+Int skill ranks per level.

Gadget

Adventurer
It probably has to do with me not really caring about the Warlord and being totally fine with the Valor Bard as the 5E Warlord. While I don't like the whole "psionics is different than magic" thing, I can't keep track of who wants it separate and who doesn't. So, if you don't want magic for psionics and want to use "psionics is different" then the Avatar is a non-magic class that does the stuff that a Warlord does. YMMV, of course.

Not that I care overmuch one way or the other, but I believe that many people that want a "Warlord", want a "mundane" one, so to speak. Whether a substitute is using "magic" spells and or "psionic" disciplines is beside the point; both are equally unacceptable. So the magic/psionic transparency rules and how they come into play is a bit of an orthogonal issue with this group.

Tony Vargas

Legend
While I don't like the whole "psionics is different than magic" thing, I can't keep track of who wants it separate and who doesn't. So, if you don't want magic for psionics and want to use "psionics is different" then the Avatar is a non-magic class that does the stuff that a Warlord does.
Psionics are still overtly supernatural, though, even if they aren't technically magic (and, by default, it appears that as of this latest iteration, they are technically magic). Ironically, though, in as much as I'm in a psionics camp, at all, I'm more in the 'psionics are different' camp than I used to be (when I just didn't want psionics in the game, at all, but was willing to 'compromise' by functionally erasing the difference between psionics and magic, which, in retrospect, wasn't terribly fair). As it stands, I'm still not a big fan of psionics, but I feel strongly that the magic/not-magic option should be there so that DMs can conveniently decide the role psionics has in their world.

The Cleric's schtick is "character that channels divine power". Divine power is "power that comes from a deity or similar entity". By definition, a Cleric must be affiliated with a deity or some such.
Unless forces and philosophies can be considered 'similar entities.' For instance, the 2e 'Divinity of Mankind' philosophy posited that humanity was, collectively, divine in nature. It also worked well in 2e, in that lower-level spells were explicitly a result of faith and devotion, not directly powered by the deity nor delivered by an intermediary. So a philosophy that wasn't really in touch with any divine entity however much you stretch the term was running on pure faith (delusion) and could only ever get 4th level spells.

Of course, you can reskin it and do whatever you want.
Re-skinning is easy enough, but 5e doesn't push acceptance of that approach the way it does DM Empowerment. More the opposite: the 5e class design philosophy is to evoke class concepts with distinct mechanics & progressions, even if they may seem to be arbitrarily distinct for the sake of being distinct. That creates an expectation of fluff-crunch coupling, or fluff determining crunch (or vice versa) that's antagonistic to re-skinning.

Maybe it's because it's been a while since I had the book, but the Avatar doesn't seem quite as Cleric-y as I remember the Ardent being. Nothing that couldn't get solved by a longer list of Disciplines, though.
The Cleric isn't quite as cleric-y in some minor ways, I suppose. 5e, with it's slower pace of releases, and it's attempt to get so many classes into the PH while still feeling 'light' just doesn't have quite the depth of material other editions did (it exceeds 0e & 1e, I'd think).

I guess I just don't really care much about the difference.
Sounds like you're not qualified to judge the significance of that difference, then, especially to those who do care.

The Ardent has been it's own class in not one but two past editions. It's bad enough getting demoted to a sub-class, and having your name changed to something that makes no sense ('the Avatar?' Of which deity?), without /also/ being mistaken for some other class!

On a different note - I really don't want to see the Soulknife as a Rogue subclass, simply because why not a Ranger or Fighter subclass? The original Soulknife wasn't particularly a sneaky skill-monkey with occasional stabbings, which is what the 5E Rogue really is.
A 5e rogue can make with the SA prettymuch every round. I'd agree in as much as Fighter seems equally legit, but then fighter could get a psychic warrior sub-class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zilong

First Post
Really? Instead of simply being a non-psionic paladin subclass where it would logically fit? I guess Asians are all psionic now.

As an Asian myself, I can comfirm that we are, in fact, all psionic.

On topic: I kinda feel that there are way too many bonus action discipline effects. Some I think really should just be smite-like riders. Also the soul knife feels a tad undertuned, like most gishes in this edition and I don't really feel the physical nature of the immortal as much. Maybe it's just because I wanted to see one with the extra attack feature. Overall I like the feel of the mystic. Oddly enough the Wu Jen is my favorite thematically and mechanically.

That makes for a better argument for letting the wu jen slide into oblivion, rather than turning it into something it never was. It'd be like raking the name ranger and applying it to a main healer class. :/

The Sohei as a class has been all over the place, as a Paladin/Barbarian/Monk in at least one version I can remember. The Barbarian might be getting the Zealot subclass that appeared back in an earlier UA article, and I don't think they saw anything about it that makes it stand out as a Oath to even be a Paladin subclass. "Temple Guardians"? That would just be an Oath of Protection Paladin.

While the Monk is the Monk in 5e, they've certainly being trying to equate psionics and ki since the last edition. They probably felt the Wu Jen could be grouped into the Mystic, because they're trying for a particular fluff with the Mystic beyond "it's this person who uses Psionics". They probably could have let it fade into oblivion like they might be doing with the Shugenja, but I think the Wu Jen ended up being more popular in concept than the Bushi and Yakuza classes which have been dead since 1e.

Speaking about classes that are fading into oblivion, I don't think they ever are going to rescue the Incarnate, Soulborn or Totemist from oblivion... Even if those weird classes could find a home in the Mystic, it's best that the weird concept of Incarnum from 3e just ends up fading away.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
So how do you build an Immortal? The other sub-classes seem to lend themselves to a particular function/style (wu jen=elementalist, avatar=psychic warlord, nomad=psychic ranger, soul knife=melee dual wield) but I am not seeing what you are supposed to do with the immortal. There are tanky powers that direct enemies to you indirectly/indirectly that you could use to build a melee sentinel IF you take fighter at first level for shield and heavy armor proficiency but it seems like you should be able to do something with the class without multiclassing. Right now they don't have even medium armor or melee weapons so are they just casters that get a lot of HP and THP?

bogmad

First Post
Instead of all the hullabaloo over "are psionics Magic" [that I've probably contributed to, and maybe am doing here] that hinges on psionics being different than just reskinned spells, I'd rather just go ahead and define magic as "supernatural effects" rather than manipulating the weave or whatever.
As long as psionics are different than spells I'll be ok.
Psionics are magic fine. But I prefer it to be different magic, from a different "source" than regular arcane spellcasting

Oh, and I'm liking this UA release pretty well.

Remove ads

Remove ads