Unearthed Arcana 5E Psionics Alert! The Mystic Is Back In Unearthed Arcana

It's back! The long-awaited new version of the mystic - 5th Edition's psionic class - is here. "The mystic class, a master of psionics, has arrived in its entirety for you to try in your D&D games. Thanks to your playtest feedback on the class’s previous two versions, the class now goes to level 20, has six subclasses, and can choose from many new psionic disciplines and talents. Explore the material here—there’s a lot of it—and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana." Click the image below for the full 28-page PDF!

It's back! The long-awaited new version of the mystic - 5th Edition's psionic class - is here. "The mystic class, a master of psionics, has arrived in its entirety for you to try in your D&D games. Thanks to your playtest feedback on the class’s previous two versions, the class now goes to level 20, has six subclasses, and can choose from many new psionic disciplines and talents. Explore the material here—there’s a lot of it—and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana." Click the image below for the full 28-page PDF!

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 23.05.19.png
SaveSave
SaveSave

zaratan

First Post
Man, I know, my english isn't great but, how clearier could be Psionic Mastery could be? lol

I use an action to get the points and than more actions to activate each one or I can activate all at once with that action?
Can I surpass the 7 pp limit in one with this?
If is possible to activate all with one action, I can use 1 pp Hammer of Inquisition in 7 different creatures or use 7 times in one creature instead of the 7d10 version in one creature?
If is all in one action, I can choose the order that disciplines will solve? Like using Coordinated Movement and Primal Fury, which will solve first? How they could solve at same time?
If I need more actions/bonus actions to activate each discipline with that pool, I used 7 in Lethal Strike, I can't use normal psi points in Psionic Weapon while I still have those 2 left?
If I expend my pool point in Augmented Weapon, I can't use normal pp later for Lethal Strike while concentrating? And Nomad’s Gate with the pool and There and Back Again with normal in the same turn?

bogmad

First Post
Man, I know, my english isn't great but, how clearier could be Psionic Mastery could be? lol

I use an action to get the points and than more actions to activate each one or I can activate all at once with that action?
Can I surpass the 7 pp limit in one with this?
If is possible to activate all with one action, I can use 1 pp Hammer of Inquisition in 7 different creatures or use 7 times in one creature instead of the 7d10 version in one creature?
If is all in one action, I can choose the order that disciplines will solve? Like using Coordinated Movement and Primal Fury, which will solve first? How they could solve at same time?
If I need more actions/bonus actions to activate each discipline with that pool, I used 7 in Lethal Strike, I can't use normal psi points in Psionic Weapon while I still have those 2 left?
If I expend my pool point in Augmented Weapon, I can't use normal pp later for Lethal Strike while concentrating? And Nomad’s Gate with the pool and There and Back Again with normal in the same turn?

I think it was just a clunky way of detailing "if you spend these extra points with, or overlap with any normal psi points you spend, you're going to lose your concentration"

Tony Vargas

Legend
Fair enough, actually, point taken. I'll just settle for being happy that I can play a glaive-wielding master tactician again (with some in-combat mechanics to back up the tactician part).
Fair enough: you do indeed have an aditional option, in the Avatar, if you want to be supernaturally-empowered "tactician" (who dominates tactical combat by thinking /at/ it, instead of thinking about it). You could even already play a glaive-wielding tactical fighter (BM) in PH-only 5e, but it wouldn't be as satisfying as a 3.5 battlefield-control build.

Anyway, I'm not trying to claim that the Rogue class doesn't mesh well with the Soulknife - it does - but that I don't think it's the only option for meshing well with the Soulknife, and I'd hate to see them limited to it.
Nod. Soulknife does seem like a candidate for being an archetype that pulls in psionics, but that is a problem with 'pulling in' type archetypes like that, the fighter and rogue, at minimum, both need 'em (thus both PDK and Mastermind, for instance). Maybe the Fighter could have a psychic warrior or soul-sword or something, to complement a soul-knife Rogue archetype, rather like how they get EK & AT respectively?

At some point, though, it just makes sense to have a full class and depend on optional MCing for the combos. 5e does both in some cases.

Last edited by a moderator:

zaratan

First Post
I think it was just a clunky way of detailing "if you spend these extra points with, or overlap with any normal psi points you spend, you're going to lose your concentration"

the concentration part I think is clear, my biggest understanding problem is with my first 4 questions.

I find the lack of Extra Attack for at least one of the combat-oriented orders (Soul Knife and Immortal...the latter being more just tankish than actual martial combatant) seems...off. Sure, if you pick the Celerity discipline, there you go....but making it a "discipline tax" feels off. Sure, other useful stuff attached to Celerity, but geez, even a valor Bard gets extra attack at 6th and they can be just as versatile with their spells.

Mystic 15/Hunter Ranger 5? (3 attacks with Attack the Horde.)

ZeshinX

Adventurer
Mystic 15/Hunter Ranger 5? (3 attacks with Attack the Horde.)

Oh there's plenty of ways to get extra attacks via multi-classing, certainly (though I think in 28 years of D&D role-playing I've only ever played a 20th level character....never* lol).

My feelings for the sense of "off-ness" is that I felt the martial-leaning orders (at least one of them anyway) would get that as part of its order abilities. It doesn't have to of course. It's just a feeling I get, nothing more. Plenty of cool options with the Mystic regardless.

*Edit: Never in a table-top game. Plenty of times in Baldur's Gate II and Neverwinter Nights 1/2. ;)

OB1

Jedi Master
Took my time digging into this class and reading the comments here and I've got to say that I think this is brilliantly conceived. Within one class, they have essentially satisfied 3 edge case (in terms of player request) concepts.

*Ability to build your own class level by level
*Psionics
*Warlords

And at least a half dozen other edge case classes from previous editions. I know it won't satisfy everyone, but it's a great attempt.

My second observation is that they should strongly suggest not allowing MC with this class. Fluff it as Training as a Mystic is a lifelong intensive pursuit that can't be started late in life and is lost without constant work and practice. I just think they can solve a lot of potential problems while also having the chance to go a bit more gonzo with the design by doing so. Sure there will be DMs who allow it anyhow, but I'd love this to be the default.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads

Remove ads