Unearthed Arcana 5E Psionics Alert! The Mystic Is Back In Unearthed Arcana

It's back! The long-awaited new version of the mystic - 5th Edition's psionic class - is here. "The mystic class, a master of psionics, has arrived in its entirety for you to try in your D&D games. Thanks to your playtest feedback on the class’s previous two versions, the class now goes to level 20, has six subclasses, and can choose from many new psionic disciplines and talents. Explore the material here—there’s a lot of it—and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana." Click the image below for the full 28-page PDF!

It's back! The long-awaited new version of the mystic - 5th Edition's psionic class - is here. "The mystic class, a master of psionics, has arrived in its entirety for you to try in your D&D games. Thanks to your playtest feedback on the class’s previous two versions, the class now goes to level 20, has six subclasses, and can choose from many new psionic disciplines and talents. Explore the material here—there’s a lot of it—and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana." Click the image below for the full 28-page PDF!

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 23.05.19.png
SaveSave
SaveSave

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I wasn't sure about the function of Psionic Mastery, until I realized it allows the mystic to double or triple concentrate. Not quite 9th level spell potency, but pretty impressive in its own right.

xynthoros

First Post
The Warlord lives in the Avatar and Mantle of the Commander. It may not be the warlord everyone is looking for, but it is clearly there. I know a lot of people are going to be pretty pissed it is psionic, but it should also abate the peeps who are all like "You can't do that much stuff without magic."

ZeshinX

Adventurer
All of them get +1d8/+2d8 damage to weapon attacks instead. Same as cleric.

So a level 14 soul knife will be doing 4d8+dex and hit on a 4, with the option of adding +4 damage and missing only on a 1.

True enough, but I prefer more swings with my martial-leaning characters rather than adding more damage (just a personal preference, I prefer more chances to hit vs one, big whallop). :)

Something I can houserule at any rate (since I plan to completely redo the Soul Knife for my table anyway....just don't like its current incarnation here).

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I do not understand Psionic mastery...what does it mean that you "cannot use normal psi points on these?" Until you have used the special psi points? Or you set aside masteries for the day that can only be used with the special points? Or just in that one casting? Also the psi-limit never gets above 7 so how can you use all 9 (or 11) on one discipline?

raleel

Explorer
The Warlord lives in the Avatar and Mantle of the Commander. It may not be the warlord everyone is looking for, but it is clearly there. I know a lot of people are going to be pretty pissed it is psionic, but it should also abate the peeps who are all like "You can't do that much stuff without magic."

One of the warlord fans checking in. That's very close to a warlord I'd play. I need to do it up, and I'm missing the joy of charging into melee combat with some effectiveness, but I can see it working. Soul knife and mantle of commander works. Order of the avatar works. I can flavor the psionic away a bit if I stay out of soul blade.

raleel

Explorer
I do not understand Psionic mastery...what does it mean that you "cannot use normal psi points on these?" Until you have used the special psi points? Or you set aside masteries for the day that can only be used with the special points? Or just in that one casting? Also the psi-limit never gets above 7 so how can you use all 9 (or 11) on one discipline?

Means special psi points can't be mixed with regular psi points. You can't spend 4 specials and 3 regulars to get to 7 for example.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Basically, you spend an action to get 9 (or 11) points that you can spend on as many action or bonus action discipline effects as you can afford. If more than one of them are concentration effects, you can maintain concentration on all of them.

Just as an example, you could take an action to use Psionic Mastery, and then spend 5 points to activate Wind Form from Mastery of Air, Comforting Aura from Mantle of Joy, and the remaining two points on Ice Sheet from Mastery of Ice. Basically, it becomes a "Build your own Superpower".

(This is purely how I'm reading it, it's the only reading I see that makes sense as being roughly equivalent to a 6th level plus spell.)

bganon

Explorer
The Soul Knife does at least get great dual-wielding ability right at level 1. The knives are d8 light finesse weapons. It doesn't stack with Potent Psionics or most of the melee disciplines, but it does work with Ogre/Giant Form and Mantle of Fury. I imagine a multiclass Soul Knife 5/Rogue X or Fighter X would be pretty interesting.

Remove ads

Remove ads