D&D 5E 5e Psionics Handbook: What would it look like?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I just want the sorcerer class reskinned as psionics.
Super Simple, though not terribly effective at being evocative of a Psion thanks to years upon years of Sorcerer having it's own class identity.

Just label all their abilities Psionic and erase the Subclass Lore in favor of "Different Psionic Sciences". Then give them spell points and have at it.

Sithlord

Adventurer
Super Simple, though not terribly effective at being evocative of a Psion thanks to years upon years of Sorcerer having it's own class identity.

Just label all their abilities Psionic and erase the Subclass Lore in favor of "Different Psionic Sciences". Then give them spell points and have at it.
5E basically trashed that. Yeah 3.5 and pathfinder 1E had great sorcerers that focused on bloodlines. But I guess they don’t want sorcerers mirroring warlock patrons. So they might as well just make several archetypes based on each discipline, drop components, and you have a wonderful class.

Steampunkette

Supporter
5E basically trashed that. Yeah 3.5 and pathfinder 1E had great sorcerers that focused on bloodlines. But I guess they don’t want sorcerers mirroring warlock patrons. So they might as well just make several archetypes based on each discipline, drop components, and you have a wonderful class.
Have you looked at KibblesTasty's design? It's -very- simple, somewhat mirrors Warlocks and Monks, and does a better job of doing the "Pumpable Psionic Powers" than a Sorcerer does by giving you "Free" power points every turn at 5, 11, and 15 so you can modify what are essentially cantrips by pumping them... but doing so results in the cantrips working differently.

Like a single target attack becoming an AoE that knocks a crowd away from you as a Cantrip but does low damage 'cause you didn't invest power points into increasing it's damage...

Or you can invest your "Real" powerpoints and your "Freebie per-turn" power points into it, up to your Psi Limit, to essentially turn that Cantrip into a -real- spell!

Lots of interesting flexibility that way.

Sithlord

Adventurer
why the sorcerer? it has no reason to exist like the ranger, a psion could have a function, like the ranger it would be better to scrap them.
For me the description of a sorcerer that can tap magic naturally without study and books is screaming the definition of psionics. Just remove components. It never made sense to me anyway that sorcerers would use components to begin with since they don’t study magic. Without stud my they wouldn’t know the words or somatic components, much less material. It really looks like the sorcerer is what a medieval person would call psionics.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
For me the description of a sorcerer that can tap magic naturally without study and books is screaming the definition of psionics. Just remove components. It never made sense to me anyway that sorcerers would use components to begin with since they don’t study magic. Without stud my they wouldn’t know the words or somatic components, much less material. It really looks like the sorcerer is what a medieval person would call psionics.
honestly, I disagree sorcerer is kept around for legacy's sake and I have always hated the gain power by being born a freak magic as it only works in the xmen and even then only just.

I like my psionics more enlightening or a skill anyone can learn.

I at this point want to flat cut sorcerer and ranger so we might get something good instead.

Sithlord

Adventurer
honestly, I disagree sorcerer is kept around for legacy's sake and I have always hated the gain power by being born a freak magic as it only works in the xmen and even then only just.

I at this point want to flat cut sorcerer and ranger so we might get something good instead.
Whatever fits our settings.

Steampunkette

Supporter

Well yes... but...
Whatever fits our settings.
^This.

You can always use Sorcerers as Psions in your game, now, and have it be a class anyone can pick up rather than bloodline focused. Give 'em spell points, take away their V/S/M on spells, call their naughty word Psionic, and run with it.

Though I still recommend a homebrew until there's an official Psion (and possibly even after)

Sithlord

Adventurer
Well yes... but...

^This.

You can always use Sorcerers as Psions in your game, now, and have it be a class anyone can pick up rather than bloodline focused. Give 'em spell points, take away their V/S/M on spells, call their naughty word Psionic, and run with it.

Though I still recommend a homebrew until there's an official Psion (and possibly even after)
I would make a subclass for each discipline. But yeah. That’s basically what I will do for my group of older and experienced players. I don’t like to deviate from the rules when I play in flgs

Superchunk77

Adventurer
Also for your consideration: http://kck.st/3Awvof4

1629231794603.png

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases