• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [5e] QL's Al-Qadim Game

So this is the beginning of my back store. Still have more to write just want to get feedback.

Born in the City of Wands Salahuddin grew up under the tutelage of his father Hamid Al-Qadib. His father is an instructor at the University of the Sand and a competent Elementalist of the Covenant of Sand. Salahuddin was not a studious child. It was not that he was not smart or capable he just did not care for his fathers passion. This was a disappointment for Hamid who envisioned his son rise through the ranks of the University. As his father pushed him to grow up and meet his potential Salahuddin continued to shirk his studies. Instead he would explore the city and the catacombs beneath.

It was in these catacombs that Salahuddin's life would forever change. In a dusty and forgotten passage he found a door. It was made of steel and ice formed the frame. Being a boy of only ten curiosity took over. Salahuddin opened the strange door. Blinding light shone through the door and without looking back he stepped through. He was hit by the cold and the wind. Unsure of where he was and unnerved by the wind he turned to head back and nearly stepped of a ledge into nothingness. The doorway was gone. He looked in disbelief for a minute and slowly backed away from the edge. Scared now he turned and began search for a way home. He searched futilely until he walked into a open air market filled with Djinn. Salahuddin opened his mouth in shock and promptly feinted. When he came too he was in a silk clad room. Sitting near the bed was a Genie valet. He smiled at Salahuddin and pointed to a tray with food and drink and then disappeared. Minutes later a Djinn walked in and smiled. She informed me that I was in the Citadel of Ice and Steel and was an honored guest of Great Caliph Husam al-Balil ben Nafhat al-Yugayyim. Salahuddin was told to dress and prepare himself for an audience.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION] Sounds like a good start!

I've also been doing some DM prep...

eZt9vxt.png

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] I don't mean to throw a monkey wrench in your character creation, but I tried my hand at writing up an old Al-Qadim kit called the "Spellslayer" as a roguish archetype. It may or may not appeal to you, but it seemed apropos to this campaign so thought I'd throw it out there!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0Z7ZsrO9VLBUFEyT2VOTGo0ZHc

I included the old AD&D version so you could check out my design work. Basically, the old version granted lots of 1/day spells, and I instead opted for something spell-free with unique abilities that are hard or impossible to replicate with spells.

Last edited:

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] I don't mean to throw a monkey wrench in your character creation, but I tried my hand at writing up an old Al-Qadim kit called the "Spellslayer" as a roguish archetype. It may or may not appeal to you, but it seemed apropos to this campaign so thought I'd throw it out there!https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Z7ZsrO9VLBUFEyT2VOTGo0ZHc/view?usp=sharingI included the old AD&D version so you could check out my design work. Basically, the old version granted lots of 1/day spells, and I instead opted for something spell-free with unique abilities that are hard or impossible to replicate with spells.
Think you need to fix the link. Looks like you put the url in the wrong place. If you click the link above it goes to a invalid site. I had to copy the url and paste into my browser to get to the page. Other than that I like the spellslayer sub class. The abilities are unique and it gets the feel of the kit.

Shayuri

First Post
I like it too...but I don't see it as much for Ankabut. Partly this is mechanical; some of its abilities are based on Charisma which is not her strong suit.

Partly this is thematic...she's an assassin, but not one solely pointed at spellcasters. And, as they say, the best status effect to inflict is dead. :)

In the end, the potential to do four critical hits on a surprise round outweighs being able to detect spellcasters...which, lets be honest, will probably not usually be hidden for long. ;) Cutting off their ability to cast spells is nice to be sure, but she won't be good at that (charisma based DC) and there is another good way to keep spellcasters from getting spells cast. That's to do four critical strikes in a surprise round. :)

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION] Thanks, I fixed the link.
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] Yeah, it's a pretty niche thing. Initially, I just left it as a character theme and suggested picking up the Mage Slayer feat. I'll tinker with it some more later on. But Assassin sounds right for Ankabut.

Shayuri

First Post
Mage Slayer is a feat I may want to take, it's a good point. With her mobility, she'd be pretty good at running behind front ranks to get mages in the back.

I'll think about it seriously. Defensive Duellist was my first choice for the feat at 12, but depending on how the game goes Mage Slayer may make more sense.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads