D&D 5E [5e] QL's Al-Qadim Game

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] Looks like a good start. I'm traveling now, but I'll give a more thorough review once you get character background up. Nice stats! You're continuing the tradition (in this game) of awesome stats.
[MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] It depends on the magic item you want, and if everyone else is OK with it, but tentatively yes, I'm OK with that.

Matthan

Explorer
My fellow players, we come to this game not to die, but to live! And with that life to bring bountiful honor amongst ourselves. We stand at the precipice of glories scarcely dreamt of by lesser men and women. Should we shirk from this destiny? Should we allow these glories to pass to another? Or worse, fail to meet the challenges before us?

May it never be, my friends! Let us instead rise to the challenges arrayed before us and triumph! We have been granted an opportunity for honor and glory. Every battle waged and victory won is not just a glory for one of us, but all of us. If all of us share the glory to come, should we not strengthen one another in order to achieve these victories? Should we simply turn away out of some misguided notion of frugality? No, my friends, we have been granted this bounty so that our glories may be even greater!

Look in your hearts, my friends, and test them. Do they not beat for adventure? Do they not beat for honor? Do they not beat for glory? Let us not let a scarce few coins become a stumbling block on the path to legend. Indeed, let each coin be spent to strengthen the resolve of our band so that when our stories are told by parents teaching their children to dream great things, our stories will be those of victory and not defeat.

Ahem…

So, guys, what do you think about letting me use some of that group gold to boost my survivability? I’m building a front line fighter to be a meat shield for everyone, but sand and sandals doesn’t really promote plate armor.

Here’s what I have so far: Flametongue(Greatsword) – Rare (the fire can be turned on and off, but should always count as a magical weapon).

Armor of the Desert Evening (Scale) – there is some kind of heat exhaustion rules that impact medium and heavy armor use. This is the only magical armor in the packet that will let me get around that. With Dex, it will give me an AC of 16. Respectable, but as the lone front line warrior, it invites a lot of hits.

Cloak of Protection – this will boost my AC to 17.

Javelin of Lightning – A ranged attack for when the moment calls for it.

My Con is 19 and I have taken Tough as a feat to increase my survivability.

But, what if we dreamed a little bigger? We sit on a cache of 47,500 gp. That should be enough for everyone to get a little boost, shouldn’t it? It’ll depend on how my QL wants to charge, but as a baseline, the DMG puts 500gp as top for Uncommon and 5,000gp as top for Rare. We could afford a few extra items.

For instance, maybe instead of getting that cloak of protection, we spend to get a Cloak of Displacement that will give disadvantage to attacks against until I’m hit each round.

Maybe a ring of protection? Maybe a backup magical weapon like a maul +1 or +2. I’m open to ideas, and if we have the gold, then maybe you guys need a little extra magic to make the enemies go boom? If the money is there and the opportunity is there…

Honestly, I’m having a lot of fun with the pitch, but I’m good either way. I don’t want to derail the game or throw off any balance. I’ll leave it to the group to discuss. But, I had a lot of fun writing this.

tglassy

Adventurer
The main extra thing I want is an Aba of the Desert. No longer having to worry about getting hot or cold. Other than that, I'm golden.

Thateous

Explorer
How would you convince me, a cleric of truth, that you deserve to use some of my fathers gold? You look like a strong enough young man. How much for things like, +2 weapons and animated shields? You're doing a whole lot of talking but, I haven't heard any numbers. What are the facts before I sign off on anything.

Sent from my SM-G935P using EN World mobile app

tglassy

Adventurer
I have a +18 modifier on my Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) checks. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't notice.

Hey DM, my Gloves of Thieving are invisible when I wear them. Can I, like, stow a lockpick or something in it and have that be invisible, too?

Matthan

Explorer
What greater joy does a father have than to see his son alive, healthy, and wealthier than when he left? This is not spending your father's money. No, my good sir! This is investing your father's money!

I don't know how Quickleaf wants to price these things, but that will certainly determine how to proceed. Ironically, my character would not speak this well. I'm seeing him more as the heavy of the group where you guys point and he smashes. Here's the WIP.

Remove ads