D&D 5E [5e] QL's Al-Qadim Game

Matthan

Explorer
[MENTION=23]Ancalagon[/MENTION] if you join and get to look at the playtest packet, visualize how nasty two Fighter/Guardians would be fighting side by side. Look at "Uphold the Meek" at 10th level and how that synergizes with Guardian's Mark (3rd level ability). The point of a playtest is to push the system. Help me push this one!

Shayuri

First Post
Matthan, perhaps a barbarian multiclass? Doesn't take much to get A) Resistance vs physical damage and B) Unarmored AC based on Dex and Con.

With levels under the belt to begin with, multiclassing is easier to do.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Matthan, perhaps a barbarian multiclass? Doesn't take much to get A) Resistance vs physical damage and B) Unarmored AC based on Dex and Con.

I haven't seen the playtest material yet, but the original intent was to make a single class barbarian. However, since this a playtest I could multi-class into guardian, it might fit the character and would help test the system :)

He doesn't have the best of stats though.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Quickleaf

Legend
Soo... you need frontline help? You are ok with a player who doesn't know the setting and is willing to play an outsider to reflect that ignorance ? I may be able to help...

P.S. not greedy PC at all ;)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Yep, there's room for one more player (the 6th!) :)

I am a bit hesitant about the "stranger in a strange land" trope in this game for two reasons...

First, while we're having fun (and will continue having fun), this is also a playtest, and the playtest materials are all geared toward "Arabian Adventures."

Second, while you don't need to know a lot about the setting, having a basic grasp on things (e.g. al-Badia vs. al-Hadhar, the bond of salt, Enlightenment & the Loregiver) really helps. This is an Al-Qadim story, as you can tell from my original post.

If the game still interests you – after I've said "probably not" to the "stranger in a strange land" – definitely pitch an idea! And let me know if you're still interested, and I will PM you the playtest links.

It's great seeing all the discussion around the mechanics! Have fun with it! But don't forget to include a bit of background about your PCs...especially any ties to existing PCs, to the adventure premise, and to Tajar / High Desert / Brotherhood of True Flame. The #1 thing I look for in new characters are these sorts of connections.

Matthan

Explorer

I appreciate the thought, but I want to run a full fighter. It'll help playtest the subclass more. It'll be fine. Like I said, I didn't realize that the money actually existed in the story. I thought it was just a function of character creation. I'm invested in making a character that fits the world. I'm picturing the guard from Aladdin, but you know, as a half-orc. Plate doesn't fit the setting, but he's not exactly a dexterous guy either.

Anyway, I'm still reading to figure out exactly how to tie him into everything. It's a big setting.

Matthan

Explorer
I was thinking that he could be a survivor of a caravan that was attacked by the Brotherhood of the True Flame. He manages to kill a few while the rest of the caravan is raided and stolen. He's left to die (not worth the trouble to kill him) in the sands. He doesn't. He makes it back to the city half dead and full of vengeance. He's healed up just as he hears about another expedition heading back out and wants to pay his respects to the Brotherhood again.

Would that work? I'd probably flesh out more of the deep background to give QL more ways to cause misery later, but that might be the immediate hook.

Quickleaf

Legend
I was thinking that he could be a survivor of a caravan that was attacked by the Brotherhood of the True Flame. He manages to kill a few while the rest of the caravan is raided and stolen. He's left to die (not worth the trouble to kill him) in the sands. He doesn't. He makes it back to the city half dead and full of vengeance. He's healed up just as he hears about another expedition heading back out and wants to pay his respects to the Brotherhood again.

Would that work? I'd probably flesh out more of the deep background to give QL more ways to cause misery later, but that might be the immediate hook.

That works fine. Before, [MENTION=6855130]Jago[/MENTION] was playing "Kaniel", a half-orc barbarian (path of the dervish), who bears cosmetic similarities with your character.

While the PCs currently suspect the Brotherhood's involvement, there's a lot of unknowns. The OP provides a pretty good description. But I'd strongly STRONGLY encourage the 3 players who've been around longest to bring new folks up to speed, especially when it comes to your investigation in the city (i.e. questioning Jina the Bold & Suelasta the Magnificent & the brothers).

Each of the current PCs was sent by a different NPC/organization. Interestingly, the Grand Caliph (think: Emperor) didn't send any of the 3 current PCs...so that's an open hook for any new characters...

Vizier Akilah ( [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION] ) was asked by her father the Sheikh of Tajar, City of Trade, to investigate what is causing the caravan raids and stop them.

Ankabut ( [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] ), disguised as the acolyte "Amina", was sent by the Soft Whisper holy slayers to eliminate several Brotherhood members believed to be operating in the region.

Salahuddin ( [MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION] ) was sent by the Great Caliph of the Djinn...though I'm blanking on the specifics. Maybe you remember more clearly VLAD?

Shayuri

First Post
For that matter, even Amina is a bit behind on the status of the party's investigation and purpose. :)

An IC bit of dialogue where our 2 oldsters give the rest of us an overview of things would be cool.

Remove ads