D&D 5E 5e query:- Cleric/Paladin MC Infernal Warlock?

NerfedWizard

First Post
Just a query, throwing it out there for those who have spent more time reading the books than I have.

Is there anything in the rules as written to say that a cleric or paladin can't multiclass to warlock pacted with a fiend? (Or for that matter a Great Old One?)

I'm not sure if this is an issue for clerics or not, but certainly my recollection of the paladin class description is that it's all holier-than-thou.

Are there specific alignment restrictions for different classes?

On a related note are there any races barred from certain classes? For instance, can I play a halfling berserker, as per rules as written?

Baumi

Adventurer
Just don't call them Fiends or Great Old Ones. Instead make them Angels of Revenge, Truth, or some other things like that.

Also generally they are not restricted in Aliment or Gods, the only thing you have to uphold is the Oath. Heck you could play a Lawful Good Paladin that follows a Fiend simply because they both need each other to defeat a bigger evil and the Fiend doesn't care if the Paladin helps a few Souls while he vanquish his Enemies. Of course they will turn on each other in the end, but that's another story... ;)

gyor

Legend
Sharess had some Alu-Fiends in her service who weren't evil, but were still technically demons.

A Cleric or Paladin of Sharess could make a pact with one of them.

Also in 3e some Warlocks inheriented thier magic, so maybe an Ancestor made a deal, and while your not on the hook for the deal, you do gain the benifits.

And of course there is the old standby of getting tricked into it.

Sir Brennen

Legend
See this similar thread on the topic for some ideas, but yeah, the strict lawful good, straight-jacketed paladin is a thing of the past (unless you choose that version to play.)

You could always start as a warlock, rebel against your evil benefactor once you truly become aware of their nature, and switch to cleric or paladin. Probably won't get any more levels of Warlock, tho ;)

For your other question, no races restrictions on classes, though certain races may have a obvious minor edge for certain classes.

Remove ads