D&D 5E 5e Ready Action - Ready action on your turn so that you can act later in the round using your reaction.

Satyrn

First Post
So a Bowman Ready's his or her bow with the response being "if I see a someone casting a spell I will try to hit and disrupt the casting"; If the shot hit, the spell caster must take a CN DC roll of 10 or half the damage to cast the spell,

is this okay?

As they said above, there's nothing in the rules that lets an attack disrupt spellcasting.

If you're the DM,mand you want to introduce some way for it to happen, then this looks good to me.

Athinar

Explorer
Jeremy Crawford
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford

The Ready action lets you ready any action you can take, including Attack, but Extra Attack is on your turn.

Athinar

Explorer
There is a feat, Mage Slayer that comes close but nothing to stop spell casting

I would allow it if the Spell Casting takes longer than an Action

maybe a DC Dex check vs the Initiative of the Caster; failed the caster makes the cast

Counterspell is a reaction that has a chance to stop the spell and using your reaction to attempt to stop the spell casting with a bow and arrow I would say is good to go

Last edited:

transtemporal

Explorer
So a Bowman Ready's his or her bow with the response being "if I see a someone casting a spell I will try to hit and disrupt the casting"; If the shot hit, the spell caster must take a CN DC roll of 10 or half the damage to cast the spell,

is this okay?

I'd say technically no, because the readied attack happens before the action that caused it so the caster isn't maintaining concentration yet by 5e standards (although I think in 3e you could ready to disrupt a spell, I forget now it was a long time ago).

Athinar

Explorer
I would say technically yes due the fact that the Counterspell is a "Reaction" spell that requires casting to interrupt a creature in the process of casting a spell.

Reaction = Reaction, the math seems sound, Reaction Rules are not broken by it

neogod22

Explorer
I would say technically yes due the fact that the Counterspell is a "Reaction" spell that requires casting to interrupt a creature in the process of casting a spell.

Reaction = Reaction, the math seems sound, Reaction Rules are not broken by it
Special rules trump normal rules. The 1st line of counterspell explains how it works.

5ekyu

Hero
How is this False, when the statement came from the PHB

Remember that you can take only one reaction per round.
The PHB says "When you take a reaction, you cant take another one until the start of your next turn"

In 5e "turn is NOT" equal to round.

So on round 3, on init 25 Sauron throws a magic missle spell at Chewbacca.

On that moment Chewbacca casts shield as a reaction on round 3 init w5,

Then when its Chewbacca turn on round e init 22, Chewbacca amazingly, awesomly and without consulting the rulebook at all reaches "the start of his nect turn."

After Chewbacca spends his turn on a "hairball" issue we choose not to delve into, later in round 3 on init 16 Chewing his bacca sees his close and person friend, Abe Lincoln of Vulcan, fall off the soapbox he was stsndong on and uses a reaction to casr feather fall.

And so, not only is Abe Lincoln saved but Chewing used two reactions on the same ROUND.

There are other cases of course, i think it can get to 3, maybe more, if an ability gives you a new TURN like say rogue thief 17 Reflex thingy.

What padt of the PHB that specifies round are you citing? I ask cuz i dont see it under REACTION or OA listing but since you said it was from the PHB i am certain it must be there, right?

Remove ads