[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
Man, I always wanted to see Dropkick Murphys play! Saw Young Dubliners years back and they were great!

Things are turning out nicely for the group :) Does giving everyone till next weekend sound like enough time for everyone to create and post characters?

Meanwhile we can keep up the brainstorming, and I will be working up the first adventure. Man, you all are in for some fun times and some serious nastiness... Magic dice games with Blackbeard, recruiting from nine groups of crew each with plot twists, insult arm-wrestling with Latvian mercenaries, who stole our demi-culverins, ogres with anchor chains, hobgoblin slavers, komodo dragons, and a truly terrifying haunted ship. And that's for starters ;) Oh yeah!

Fenris

Adventurer
Man, I always wanted to see Dropkick Murphys play! Saw Young Dubliners years back and they were great!

Things are turning out nicely for the group :) Does giving everyone till next weekend sound like enough time for everyone to create and post characters?

Meanwhile we can keep up the brainstorming, and I will be working up the first adventure. Man, you all are in for some fun times and some serious nastiness... Magic dice games with Blackbeard, recruiting from nine groups of crew each with plot twists, insult arm-wrestling with Latvian mercenaries, who stole our demi-culverins, ogres with anchor chains, hobgoblin slavers, komodo dragons, and a truly terrifying haunted ship. And that's for starters ;) Oh yeah!

The Murphy's are so amazing live. I have been fortunate to see them several times live. Phenomenal.

Question: Are pistols considered light? In regards to two weapon fighting especially.

Quickleaf

Legend
The Murphy's are so amazing live. I have been fortunate to see them several times live. Phenomenal.

Question: Are pistols considered light? In regards to two weapon fighting especially.
Yes, pistols are considerd light. Sorry, that was an oversight on my part!

Hey, for you PbP pros, how do you normally handle initiative in a PbP game? I'm guessing waiting for everyone to roll is a bit tedious. I also wonder if clinging closely to initiative order interferes with folk's posting schedules. I am new to PbP so I thought I'd ask.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I usually ask for an initiative roll as normal but only roll once for the bad guys. Then I just have everyone who got a better initiative than the bad guys post their combat actions, then I post, then the rest of the players can post their actions.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Yes. The advantage of that is that if players above-the-baddies can post in pretty much any order, and then those below-the baddies. Then things get worked out in sequence.

Quickleaf

Legend
Sounds good! Thanks guys :)

Also, I updated the first page with all the languages of the setting (it's between equipment & house rules). Lots of juicy goodness there, so I recommend you check it out. For example, Catalonia I'm thinking is an elven region speaking Catalan which carried over to some colonists, goblins adopt the various pidgin tongues of the Caribbean, and Island Carib is a collection of mutually inteligible dialects including human tribes, halflings, and orcs.

Quickleaf

Legend
Oh, and all your PCs begin with a bonus language!

I figured since the Caribbean is such a multi-lingual place it was only fair :)

Last edited:

Unsung

First Post
I'm glad for little the touches. I'll be taking Island Carib and semaphore for our Mr Teague. As a thought/incentive to higher-Int characters, would it be possible for characters who succeed on an Intelligence check (ie. probably not me) to partially understand languages with a common root? Provided they haven't drifted too much. Some of the Romance languages and Latin, for example, or, the example that made me think of this, Island Carib and Arawak? Bear in mind this very very much a layman's perspective. Still, thought it was worth bringing up.

@Kiraya_TiDrekan, @Kobold Stew What they said.

I'd also add that something that's worked well for me, both online and at the table, is treating Initiative as a skill/proficiency, rather than something completely independent-- something that players actively choose to roll, in situations where split-second timing is more important than physical coordination or prowess.

This is something you might do on an impromptu basis anyway, in cases where two characters are taking an action that doesn't otherwise require a roll, but where going into combat time would be bookkeeping overkill, just to break a tie. Still, I like the idea of formalizing it, allowing characters who want to to specialize in it, feat or no. Alert, instead of providing a flat bonus, could give advantage on Initiative checks. Classes like the rogue, ranger, and monk (possibly fighter, barbarian, maybe the sorcerer) could add it to the skills they can pick up. It's good for gunslingers and duelists in general, I think.

...Or not. I don't want to make things overly complicated.

Star Wars Saga Edition did it like this. Man, there are a lot of rules I crib from that game.

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Jozef Van Der Nagel “Old Zef”
[sblock]
Dwarf Pirate 3.jpg
Height 4’ 8”; Weight 150# ; Hair: Bald pate with grey fringe, grey beard. ; Age 199; Patron Deity:
Sex: Male Race: Aannaarden Dwarf Class: Wizard 4
Alignment: Neutral Size: Medium Type: Humanoid
Init +1; Passive Wisdom (Perception) 15
Languages : Dutch, English, French, Spanish, Latin

AC 11
HP 38 (HD: 8 + 18 + 16 Con + 4 Race)
Saving Throw Proficiencies: Intelligence, Wisdom
Speed 15ft.
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Special Actions
Combat gear: None

Abilities Str 10, Dex 13, Con 18 , Int 17, Wis 16, Cha 6
<a href="http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/37167/">STR 10, DEX 17, CON 16, INT 13, WIS 15, CHA 6</a>
Racial Traits: Con +2, Darkvision 60 ft, Adv on saves vs poison Resistance vs poison damage, Proficient with smith’s tools, Stonecunning, Aannaarden: +1 Wis, +1 HP per level,
Background: Guild Artisan
Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Persuasion
Tool Proficiencies: One type of Artisan’s Tools (Shipwright)
One language of your choice
Equipment: A set of artisans tools, letter of introduction from guild, traveller’s clothes, 15 gp
Feature:

Sailor
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Perception
Tool Proficiencies: Navigator’s Tools, vehicles (water)
Equipment: Belaying pin, 50 ft silk rope, common clothes, 10 gp, trinket.
Feature

Personality Trait: I always want to know how things work and what makes people tick.
Bond: Sacred Relic
Ideal: People (I am committed to the people I care about, not ideals)
Flaw: The Bellows belong to my father and I will do anything to get my hands on them
Fortunes:
Old Salt: Your starting age is 40+2d6 years (or the equivalent for your race). Gain an extra Background. However, reduce your starting lives by -1 and you must pick a starting Affliction from Ill Fortunes (like a peg leg, hook hand, or missing eye). Cannot take Kid.

Affliction: You've suffered some physical affliction in the course of your duties, such as a disfiguring scar (-2 Charisma), maimed throat (can only speak in whisper), missing eye (-2 initiative and Perception), missing hand, or a peg leg (-10 ft speed, and some Athletics checks may be disadvantaged). Peg Leg (Climbing up the topsail, I lost my leg)

Obligation: Someone has a hold over you, whether thru blackmail, charm magic, a monetary debt, or a life debt.

Wanted: You are wanted as a pirate by the authorities of at least one nation. Soldiers who recognize you will try to arrest you, and the authorities may have sent out agents to hunt you down. You may or may not bear the "P" brand for "pirate" on your forearm.

Trading Company: You are a partial owner in a trading company. When tending to business and brokering trades you can maintain a Wealthy lifestyle free of charge, stay abreast of current trade conditions, and have the perfect legitimate cover for being in a variety of ports. (Dutch East India Company)

Shore Leave/At Sea: During a relaxing time of repaste, you learned either a bonus tool proficiency or language. Pick a particular port where you enjoyed your shore leave and gain an acquaintance there. Alternately, if you select proficiency in water vehicles or navigation tools, choose a ship you served on and are familiar with her captain and crew. (Sail mending)

Class Features:
Spellcasting
Arcane Recovery
School of Conjuration: Minor Conjuration

Class Proficiencies: Armor: None
Weapons: Daggers, Darts, Slings, Quarterstaves, Light crossbows
Tools: None
Saving throws: Intelligence and Wisdom
Skills: Choose 2 from Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, and Religion.

Skills (P proficiency)
+1 Acrobatics
+3 Animal Handling
+1 Arcana P
+2 Athletics P
-2 Deception
+3 History
+5 Insight P
-2 Intimidation
+5 Investigation P
+3 Medicine
+3 Nature
+5 Perception P
-2 Performance
-2 Persuasion
+3 Religion
+1 Sleight of Hand
+1 Stealth
+3 Survival

Feats: Spellsniper

Spell book:
C: Firebolt,, Light, Mending, Prestidigitation
1st: Chromatic Orb, Detect Magic, Featherfall, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Sleep, Unseen servant, Witch Bolt,
2nd: Arcane Lock, Gust of Wind, Invisibility, Scorching Ray

Equipment: 120 gp
Quarterstaff
Spellbook
Component pouch
Explorer’s pack
Mysterious symbol covered puzzle box that, at times, moves of its own accord.

Background: Gerlof van der Nagel was a talented craftsman and alchemist. It was his work on behalf of the Duke of Burgundy that allowed the Burgundian Netherlands to become an independent vassal of the Holy Roman Empire. But he saved his best work for the early Dutch trading companies. In secret he developed an amazing device, the Zeeland bellows. These bellows were over six feet long and when installed on a ship could create a magical wind allowing the ship to travel in calms or simply faster. The Zeeland bellows would bring the Dutch dwarves much wealth with the advantage of speed. Spanish spies, posing as agents of the Holy Roman Empire, stole the Zeeland bellows. The Zeeland Bellows were put to use by Spain, enabling them to explore westward quickly. When the Netherlands fell under Spanish control Gerlof had to go into hiding as the Spanish monarchs wanted another bellows. Gerlof was actually building another Bellows, but had to hide it from the Spainish and it would take another 100 years to finish. This second set of Bellows was given to and installed on a ship for the Dutch East India Company, allowing a quick trip to the Asia. While he had built another Zeeland bellows, Gerlof still harbored a great resentment against the Spanish for taking his initial creation. He worked long and hard to recover that first bellows. His son, Jozef was a talented you man and served the same apprenticeship he had as a shipwright. Jozef though, was raised on the bitterness and anger of his father, who inculcated in his son a desire for justice, to recover the stolen bellows.
Jozef willingly took on this quest for family honor, and to fulfill the contract with the East India Company. After his apprenticeship, he served aboard several ships, sailing the seas to learn of whip Spanish ship had the Bellows. He had learned from his father how to operate the Bellows, only he and his father knew how, other than one cousin who was sworn to secrecy and worked on the East India ship with the other Bellows. Gerlof dies while Jozef was at sea, taking the secret of the manufacture of the Bellows with him.
Jozef continued his father’s quest, wandering the world searching for the Bellows. The Spanish never were able to fully figure out how to work the Bellows, they worked but not as well as they could. Once they learned that Gerlof had a son, they began searching for him, as much as he searched for them. Jozef spent decades tracking down what Spanish ship had the Bellows, trying to get on a crew to find them. He had relocated to the Caribbean, thinking that the Spanish would have the ship making the Atlantic crossing and it would be easier to access the ship in the New World. Over the years he put his father’s trade to use and picked up more, eventually learned nearly everything about how to build and maintain a ship. Decades wore on, and the cat and mouse took its toll on Jozef. He was an ornery dwarf, surly and quick tempered from the frustration and lack of success. He had lost a leg in the rigging 30 years ago and now wore a peg leg.
Zef, as he was now known in the islands, eventually met up with a pirate captain whom he got along with and understood his need to find the Bellows. He served with him for many years, and taught his daughter some of the skills of the sailor.
Old Zef, now mostly bald, what hair remains is white, finally got a lead, the Spanish ship La Gloriosa Del Mar had the Bellows! Before he could act though the ship went down. Now he knew where the Bellows were, but how to find them and return them to the East India Company.

Appearance: Old Zef has been around a long time, and every hard year shows. His hair is white, though it is receding hard on the top of his head. He bears many scars from years at sea. His left leg is missing below the knee. He has an ivory, scrimshaw false leg with a hollow compartment inside.
Personality: Old Zef is a cranky old sea dog. He has seen and done it all. The only thing left for him is finding the Bellows and he has little patience otherwise. He mumbles and grumbles about repairing a ship, but won’t let anyone help him. Despite his age, he is sharp as a sabre and rarely misses anything.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads