[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm glad for little the touches. I'll be taking Island Carib and semaphore for our Mr Teague. As a thought/incentive to higher-Int characters, would it be possible for characters who succeed on an Intelligence check (ie. probably not me) to partially understand languages with a common root? Provided they haven't drifted too much. Some of the Romance languages and Latin, for example, or, the example that made me think of this, Island Carib and Arawak? Bear in mind this very very much a layman's perspective. Still, thought it was worth bringing up.
I appreciate the idea of root languages a lot. I'd be inclined to allow partial understanding or grasping/communicating the gist of a simple idea with an Intelligence check, aye.

I'd also add that something that's worked well for me, both online and at the table, is treating Initiative as a skill/proficiency, rather than something completely independent-- something that players actively choose to roll, in situations where split-second timing is more important than physical coordination or prowess.
Yeah, I can see that as something I'd do ad hoc.

For initiative, I suspect I may eschew rolling in most fights (or perhaps roll for enemies and assume PC have average and win all ties), and instead compare values to establish an initiative order in any post in which I'm narrating the start of combat. I would then use what others have said for initiative: those before monsters go in any order, then monsters go, then those after monsters go in any order.

Obviously, exceptional circumstances may arise where rolling initiative makes sense, or situations like an enemy ambush or Lair Actions which I'd probably include in my initiating post.

Fenris said:
Ok, here is most of Old Zef. He isn't done, and I need to work in Hugo and Queenie's character into his back story a bit, but @Quickleaf can get an idea of where I am going with him.
Awesome! Great writeup of Old Zef!

Btw, I'm interpreting "Thieves' Can't" as a sort of pirate pidgin which includes a lot of double entendres and names with hidden meaning that only a pirate would grasp. So it's kind of overlaid over the main language being spoken, and can be used without being obvious or can be laid on thick and be quite obvious, depending on the speaker's intention. A good example is in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End when Elizabeth Swan is singing a song as she rows a canoe, passing under several guards who don't pay her any mind, but the pirates recognize the song as a secret message.

Quickleaf

Legend
A few things: First, your Lives will be kept secret and I've begun rolling to determine your starting lives. Mwahaha. There may be rare magical situations in play where you can lose or even gain Lives.

Second, Thieves' Cant is a kind of pirate pidgin, and I've updated the Languages section of my first post.

Third, remember that spending Inspiration works differently in this game. Instead of automatically granting advantage, it lets you Roll the Bones (2d6), consulting the table in my first post. The table is weighted more toward gaining advantage, but it involves a greater range of possible outcomes.

Fourth, the Trinkets tables in my first post are lots of fun! Use them! :D
[MENTION=6777934]Maldavos[/MENTION] Is Hugo a 4th level Bard (College of Wit)? And what is his Background? Or did you customize one, in which case what is his background feature? Sorry, I couldn't glean this info from the sheet you posted.

Last edited:

Hannerdyn

Explorer
[MENTION=6777934]Maldavos[/MENTION] Is Hugo a 4th level Bard (College of Wit)? And what is his Background? Or did you customize one, in which case what is his background feature? Sorry, I couldn't glean this info from the sheet you posted.

Hugo is a 4th level Bard of the College of Lore. His background is Gold, glory and adventure. I'll see if I can re-work the line-item, non-pretty character stats tonight while also adding some other features. The 'pretty' character sheet has that information on the right hand side.

Quickleaf

Legend
Hugo is a 4th level Bard of the College of Lore. His background is Gold, glory and adventure. I'll see if I can re-work the line-item, non-pretty character stats tonight while also adding some other features. The 'pretty' character sheet has that information on the right hand side.
College of Lore, right.

Good, Glory, and Adventure is his Bond.

By Background I meant the D&D background mechanic from the Basic Rules and PHB, you know like Sailor or Soldier or Sage, etc. They typically provide 2 tool proficiencies/languages, 2 skills, a background feature, and some equipment. So what's his Background?

Hannerdyn

Explorer
College of Lore, right.

Good, Glory, and Adventure is his Bond.

By Background I meant the D&D background mechanic from the Basic Rules and PHB, you know like Sailor or Soldier or Sage, etc. They typically provide 2 tool proficiencies/languages, 2 skills, a background feature, and some equipment. So what's his Background?

Sorry, I'm an idiot. His background is Noble.

fireinthedust

Explorer
I've been giving this some thought, as a suggestion for the DM: What if, instead of using real-world countries, we take a page from the 7th Sea and Eberron settings, and make up our own nations?

"Just a Mom": yeah, well that kind of tops "fiddles with games on his computer at home", so you're doing well, imho.

Can we have a rundown list of the characters so far? Trying to keep track of them so I can isolate ideas. When this happens to me (the block) I find that something inspired will come from total BS improve in play, but I still need something to start with. So far:

1) Old Dwarf
2) Noble lore bard
3) Barbarian bosun
4) Slave Wizard Diviner
5) ...
6) ...
7) (me; scoundrel, some kind of magical)

fireinthedust

Explorer
Also: I rolled the stats and have some legit questionable ability scores, pre-racial mods: 12, 18, 17, 15, 11, 16.

That was not the first, but it was invisible castle. Whatever I end up with, they will be fierce! (I always go array, so this is great: dice ftw!)

Alsi: is temple of the frog dead? I may want to re-use that character for this game, if it is.

Remove ads