[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The connection between Barrington and the Kid sounds great to me, on whatever timeline works best for CanadienneBacon.

peterka99

First Post
As my character is a grappler, my house rule is if the grappler who initiate the pin is not restrained, just has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws.

And I impose a disadvantage to attackers who don't want to risk a slight chance (1 on d6) to hit the wrong target if there is more than one creature in the same 5' square. None if the foe is pinned.

Your opinion ?

Shayuri

First Post
I dunno. I'm leery of house rules 'just because.' The core rules for grappling seem good for the games I've played so far. Why change them?

Quickleaf

Legend
As my character is a grappler, my house rule is if the grappler who initiate the pin is not restrained, just has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws.

And I impose a disadvantage to attackers who don't want to risk a slight chance (1 on d6) to hit the wrong target if there is more than one creature in the same 5' square. None if the foe is pinned.

Your opinion ?
Hey, I am always open to rules discussions if the aim is to improve the play experience. That said, you'll notice my "house rules" are largely either home-brewing or adding new rules to facilitate a swashbuckling theme.

What you are describing is a radical rules change, not a home-brewed addition (e.g. like a feat). Also, you present it without any explanation of WHY you want to change the grappling rules. Remember, since I am the DM, the burden is not on me to refute your idea, the burden is on you to convince me. In my experience, the 5e grappling rules work just fine:

Grappled Condition (Basic Rules) said:
• A grappled creature’s speed becomes 0, and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed.
• The condition ends if the grappler is incapacitated (see the condition).
• The condition also ends if an effect removes the grappled creature from the reach of the grappler or grappling effect, such as when a creature is hurled away by the thunderwave spell.

Your suggested change has 2 parts.

The first part is nonsensical. You want to remove the part about grappling reducing speed to 0? And replace that with imposing disadvantage to Dexterity saving throws? Why? And isn't it nonsensical to "Grapple" someone who can then just move away? That strikes me as making no sense narratively.

The second part is more interesting and quite powerful, since you're forcing other enemies to either suffer disadvantage to attacks against you OR risk hitting the wrong target when you grapple a creature. I think that's the core of your request right? I agree it is flavorful, reminds me a bit of Steven Seagal tearing thru bad guys with Aikido; and looking at your character's low AC he could use some extra defense. Maybe we can work out a home-brew feat that allows you to do something along those lines?

peterka99

First Post
No, just the fact the grappler (the one on top of the other) is not restrained. The opponent is still grappled! I just change the "pin" action condition if succeeded.

2nd: Well, I think partners in movies never risk shooting friends in close combat. Ok, maybe only for ranged attack, sniper feats negate the risk. A feat may be great but i don't have any free slot handy :) (I recalculated the skills, they were too high as I created it for level 5).

Last edited:

The connection between Barrington and the Kid sounds great to me, on whatever timeline works best for CanadienneBacon.
I will be at the beach this coming week but am planning to also enjoy my laptop and some online gaming at the resort in the evenings after my daughters have gone to bed. Go ahead and introduce Kid anytime. I'll have connectivity and am looking forward to playing.

Quickleaf

Legend
No, just the fact the grappler (the one on top of the other) is not restrained. The opponent is still grappled! I just change the "pin" action condition if succeeded.
Say what? Nowhere in the grapple rules is the term "restrained" used. Are you talking about your speed being halved when you attempt to move a grappled creature?

Basic Rules said:
When you want to grab a creature or wrestle with it, you can use the Attack action to make a special melee attack, a grapple. If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them.

The target of your grapple must be no more than one size larger than you, and it must be within your reach. Using at least one free hand, you try to seize the target by making a grapple check, a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (the target chooses the ability to use). If you succeed, you subject the target to the grappled condition (see appendix A). The condition specifies the things that end it, and you can release the target whenever you like (no action required).

Escaping a Grapple. A grappled creature can use its action to escape. To do so, it must succeed on a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check contested by your Strength (Athletics) check.

Moving a Grappled Creature. When you move, you can drag or carry the grappled creature with you, but your speed is halved, unless the creature is two or more sizes smaller than you.

2nd: Well, I think partners in movies never risk shooting friends in close combat. Ok, maybe only for ranged attack, sniper feats negate the risk. A feat may be great but i don't have any free slot handy :) (I recalculated the skills, they were too high as I created it for level 5).
Yeah, the power level of what asking is definitely on par with a feat. So I will require a custom feat (which I will need to look over and give the OK) to set up something like this.

peterka99

First Post
See the grappler feat. You were referring to the wrong rules..."PIN" is only mentionned here...

Prerequisite: Strength 13 or higher
You’ve developed the skills necessary to hold your
own in close-quarters grappling. You gain the
following benefits:
• You have advantage on attack rolls against a creature
you are grappling.
You can use your action to try to pin a creature grappled
by you. To do so, make another grapple check. If
you succeed, you and the creature are both restrained
until the grapple ends.

Remove ads