[5e] Spell & Crossbones

peterka99

First Post
Has come into possession of something the PCs need/want for their impending treasure hunting voyage, and the condition of help is to take him with them. (Etienne)

I sell furs, I have contacts with Indian Shamans and Manitous ... a magical trinket, mere fur ?

Quickleaf

Legend
Okay, confirming that a drunk Kid will be scavenging The Coral Curse. Sounds good to me, let's roll with that.
Awesome. Btw, I was reviewing your character sheet, and I think Kid's curse definitely qualifies as an Ill Fortune...meaning you could pick up another Good Fortune to counterbalance it if you like.

Has come into possession of something the PCs need/want for their impending treasure hunting voyage, and the condition of help is to take him with them. (Etienne)

I sell furs, I have contacts with Indian Shamans and Manitous ... a magical trinket, mere fur ?
Hmm, maybe it is something that will be helpful inexorcising the djab (dark spirit) from The Coral Curse? That would make sense ipgiven Etienne's contact with Amerindian shamans. Some kind of hide with magical properties that can weaken the djab could work nicely.

Quickleaf

Legend
Spell & Crossbones Player's Guide PDF

[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] [MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION] [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION] [MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION]

I finally made time to compile all the player stuff for our game into a PDF.

Bear in mind this is still a work in progress, but it should help get everything in one place :)

EDIT: Oh, and feel free to adjust things around in your character builds. I'm treating 4th level as the time for you guys to lock in exactly how you want your characters to be.

Attachments

• spell & crossbones players guide.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Wow, 64 pages of goodness! It reads as equal parts campaign setting and player's guide. Thanks for compiling this. It's very nice to have one-stop shopping for all the wonderful tidbits that make up this game.

Re: adding a good fortune to Kid's character sheet. I looked at the fortunes in the PG and nothing stood out (I already took the ones that seemed most relevant to Kid). Could we do up a custom fortune? Something like weather sense, but called Sixth Sense, that maybe alerts Kid to danger or trouble or pain or blood or death or dark spirits or [fill-in-the-blank-DM's-choice]? Mechanically, maybe Kid could get advantage on Perception checks? Advantage might be too strong a boon. Or...I dunno...instead of advantage, maybe Kid could get a Perception check to avoid being surprised (though, I think we probably are all entitled to one of those normally). I'm open to suggestions. The jist I'm going for is that kids are inherently lucky. They're good at both getting into and getting out of trouble. They get spooked easily. They're hypersensitive to all that is weird and creepy.

If Sixth Sense is a no go, then I like either Magic Trinkets (and would like you to roll, please) or Whiskey Johnny. Thanks!

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks for the praise, me hearties
danse1.gif

Re: adding a good fortune to Kid's character sheet. I looked at the fortunes in the PG and nothing stood out (I already took the ones that seemed most relevant to Kid). Could we do up a custom fortune? Something like weather sense, but called Sixth Sense, that maybe alerts Kid to danger or trouble or pain or blood or death or dark spirits or [fill-in-the-blank-DM's-choice]? Mechanically, maybe Kid could get advantage on Perception checks? Advantage might be too strong a boon. Or...I dunno...instead of advantage, maybe Kid could get a Perception check to avoid being surprised (though, I think we probably are all entitled to one of those normally). I'm open to suggestions. The jist I'm going for is that kids are inherently lucky. They're good at both getting into and getting out of trouble. They get spooked easily. They're hypersensitive to all that is weird and creepy.

If Sixth Sense is a no go, then I like either Magic Trinkets (and would like you to roll, please) or Whiskey Johnny. Thanks!

Yes, I am all about home brewing stuff!

That said, Sixth Sense sounds pretty powerful the way you've described it...taking the Alertness feat would model that better. Instead, maybe something like this:

Sixth Sense: You feel a shiver go down your spine, like a cool spectral hand causing the hairs on your back to raise, when in the presence of the supernatural. This allows you to sense the presence of supernatural entities and forces within 60 feet, though not their exact position. Thus, you can never be surprised by anything supernatural. "Supernatural" would include a curse, a djab (dark spirit), ghost, or an ongoing spell, but not most magic items or a goblin, for instance.

How's that?

Remove ads