D&D 5E 5e Triple Move- Way? Or No Way?

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
View attachment 123209

View attachment 123211
So, I have gotten that wrong, sorry. You take dash as standard action and dash as bonus action each adding your movement so it is 3 x movement. Same would go for action surge 3 x movement, and also your orc which I got right initially.

When in combat I would not require extra checks for stamina (con) or athletics or the like because it is the rogues combat mechanic.
Out of combat when a player says I want to make my rogue move e.g. 90 for the next two hours I would deny it straight because, as you can see above, cunning action only works in combat. So it is prolonged running aka e.g. 60 maximum and this requires some checks if performed for a longer time.

Yeah, it's in the Chase rules (again, mentioned above)-

Chase rules have a dash usage limit depending on con. If you use two dashes in a single turn, you just blow through your usages faster.

But y'know, as long as its good clean adult fun.

Cheers goonalan

Coroc

Hero
The rules are there, but if you look at the actual speed of people moving, etc. those rules aren't very realistic at all. Yeah, I know, "fantasy" game and all, but still...

if you take a 6 second round and 90ft movement, with a top sprinter needing less than 10 seconds on 100 metres (300 ft.)? That does not sound so out of realism for me tbh.

The world record for 1000 m is 2min11 seconds = 131 seconds.
Let us see how far continued dashing for 2min 11 seconds takes us: 30 ft. x 131/6 = 30 * 21 = 630 ft that's 210m. Not so impressive and not even amateur sports league. with a con of 20 you would not need make checks for the first 20 dashes if I interpret @UngeheuerLich right (no time to look it up now)
That also really does not sound superhuman to me.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
if you take a 6 second round and 90ft movement, with a top sprinter needing less than 10 seconds on 100 metres (300 ft.)? That does not sound so out of realism for me tbh.

The world record for 1000 m is 2min11 seconds = 131 seconds.
Let us see how far continued dashing for 2min 11 seconds takes us: 30 ft. x 131/6 = 30 * 21 = 630 ft that's 210m. Not so impressive and not even amateur sports league. with a con of 20 you would not need make checks for the first 20 dashes if I interpret @UngeheuerLich right (no time to look it up now)
That also really does not sound superhuman to me.
Actually, it is off IMO. (and FWIW, any world record is pretty superhuman to me LOL! :) )

90 ft/round is 15 ft/second or 21.9 sec for a 100-meter, which is really slow actually for running (i.e. move + double dash). The world record 100-meter holder would be moving 205 feet / round (a speed of nearly 70). If you assume Bolt is an 18th-level Monk with Mobility, using step of the wind twice, that would do it. Personally, I am okay with that myself I suppose...

Now, your example. (I am not sure what you are doing with some of your numbers...) Anyway, 1000 m = 3281 ft.
3281 ft/ 131 seconds = 25 ft / second or 150 ft/ round (25 x 6 seconds), which would be a speed of 50 (150 / 3 for move and double-dash).
50 is MUCH higher than 30, so I would consider that impressive. Maybe a Human 2nd-level Monk/ 2nd-level Rogue with Mobility? Ok, so getting that speed is not hard I suppose...

Also, @UngeheuerLich must be suggesting a house-rule (a good one IMO), but sticking to the RAW...

With a CON 20, you don't make any checks for 8 rounds. After 5 rounds (on average), you would be making checks with disadvantage, so you would fail another check in about 3 rounds (again, on average). Meaning after 16 rounds, your speed would be half. At 90 ft/round, that is only 1440 feet, less than half of the 1000-meters (3281 feet).

So, let's assume a speed 50 (however you get it). Monk won't work, because you would run out of Ki, so let's go with the Human Monk/Rogue 2/2. :) With a CON 20, such a character would fail their 4th check around round 22, just as they finished the race. So, plausible I guess.

But it means in another 3 rounds (barely 2.5 minutes), their speed would be 0 and done. So, the 38 rounds for the world-record mile would pretty much never happen (speed would be about 45 as well even if it could happen in RAW).

Now, all of this is with a CON 20 (not normal at all) and being about to double-dash a lot. It also assumes a rogue's double-dash doesn't count as two uses, but it should really, making all of this even more extreme.

FWIW, I ran a 11.5-sec 100-meter and a 4:52 minute mile when I competed in T&F.
For that 100-meter, my speed would have to be over 57, assuming I was moving and doube-dashing.
That mile was a speed total of over 108 feet per round for over 48 rounds. I would have had my speed reduced to 0 long before I finished and my CON was certainly not 20 (maybe 14 I would guess since I was running a lot).

Finally, this assumes you don't want a game where your PCs can do things beyond what people can do IRL. IME, a lot of players want PCs who can do more than is possible IRL.

delphonso

Explorer
Somewhat off topic, but that rogue movement makes for excellent annoying mini-bosses around level 2 if the party doesn't have a rogue.

Slippery Sam carried quite a few bottles of Alchemist's fire on him, and prefered to end every round about 70 feet from everyone else.

Boy were my party happy to blast a chromatic orb through him later that night...

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
For more realistic rules, a couple quick thoughts might be:

1. Make it a DC 10 CON (Athletics) check to allow Athletics proficiency to help with making the check. OR
2. Make it s DC 5 CON check without proficiency.

Either way, a high CON and/or good Athletics proficiency would make it so you could dash as much as you wanted. Then, you would just need the speed. :)

pogre

Legend
FWIW, I ran a 11.5-sec 100-meter and a 4:52 minute mile when I competed in T&F.
For that 100-meter, my speed would have to be over 57, assuming I was moving and doube-dashing.
That mile was a speed total of over 108 feet per round for over 48 rounds. I would have had my speed reduced to 0 long before I finished and my CON was certainly not 20 (maybe 14 I would guess since I was running a lot).

As an aside, as a T&F coach, those are solid times!

We often have T&F discussions when discussing D&D movements and throwing actions. I have an athlete this season who threw the 12 lb. (high school) shot 62' and the High school discus (1 KG) over 190' - plus the kid could run the 100 meters in under 12 seconds weighing 250 lbs. +.

I know it does not really translate to D&D, but they are fun conversations! How far can we throw the halfling? ;)

The rules are there, but if you look at the actual speed of people moving, etc. those rules aren't very realistic at all. Yeah, I know, "fantasy" game and all, but still...

If you remember that sprinters usually don´t wear armor and carry too many loot in their backpack, those rules are not too much off actually.

My House rule would be (if I were asked by a player at some point... didn´t happen so far), if you only wear as much as a runner, i.e. not much at all, you may make an athletics check to surpass your normal move speed, if you run on solid footing in a straight line and rest after 100-1000m (about 300-3000ft) depending on your con check.

Remove ads