D&D 5E 5e Triple Move- Way? Or No Way?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The way my brain wraps around this:
  • Movement is amount of displacement of a body, and
  • Speed is the amount of displacement over time.
So if we're talking about the amount of distance the tabaxi has traveled, my brain calls it Movement.
But if we're talking about that amount of distance in a unit of time, my brain calls it Speed.

G

Guest 6801328

its still all happening in 6 seconds though, your speed is definitely increased

This assumes that a turn consumes the full duration of a round, and that movement occurs over an entire turn. Neither of which, I believe, is anywhere stated. But I’m happy to learn otherwise.

Eis

Explorer
The way my brain wraps around this:
  • Movement is amount of displacement of a body, and
  • Speed is the amount of displacement over time.
So if we're talking about the amount of distance the tabaxi has traveled, my brain calls it Movement.
But if we're talking about that amount of distance in a unit of time, my brain calls it Speed.
right, your movement per round is your speed, not speed as a game term but speed as an amount of distance per unit of time

G

Guest 6801328

right, your movement per round is your speed, not speed as a game term but speed as an amount of distance per unit of time

Yes, that’s the definition of speed.

The question is, what’s the unit of time?

If the premise is that using your full allowable movement means you are moving as fast as you can for your entire turn, the implication is that you take your action (and potentially bonus action) while moving your maximum speed. And that seems...strange.

No stranger than any other paradox that arises when you over-analyze this, but really that’s my point: you can’t really apply v=d/t to 5e combat movement. It’s abstract game rules, not an attempt to model a reality.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
As an aside, as a T&F coach, those are solid times!

We often have T&F discussions when discussing D&D movements and throwing actions. I have an athlete this season who threw the 12 lb. (high school) shot 62' and the High school discus (1 KG) over 190' - plus the kid could run the 100 meters in under 12 seconds weighing 250 lbs. +.

I know it does not really translate to D&D, but they are fun conversations! How far can we throw the halfling? ;)

Thanks. I was one of our best in my high school for T&F, sort of a jack-of-all-trades. I was pretty good at most events, and often won 1st place, but just as often there was one guy who would beat me out for 1st place and rarely I'd settle for a third. But I did X-Country, Indoor Track, & Outdoor Track my Junior and Senior years, so it was pretty much a year-round thing for me back then and even some in college.

It IS amazing how fast some of those bigger guys can get, huh!? :)

FWIW we added a Run and Sprint action to the action options beyond simply Dashing. It works the numbers better without needing levels of monk and/or cunning action all the time.

Remove ads