D&D 5E 5e Triple Move- Way? Or No Way?

G

Guest 6801328

Tabaxi monk 18, fighter 2 with Mobile feat. Movement is 70, double it with "Feline Agility" ability to 140. Dash for 280, Action Surge for another 280, Step of the Wind with bonus action...660' movement.

Undrave

Legend
Tabaxi monk 18, fighter 2 with Mobile feat. Movement is 70, double it with "Feline Agility" ability to 140. Dash for 280, Action Surge for another 280, Step of the Wind with bonus action...660' movement.

A quick calculation reveals that to be 75 mph/120 kmh!!! It's level 20 but still...Wow!

G

Guest 6801328

A quick calculation reveals that to be 75 mph/120 kmh!!! It's level 20 but still...Wow!

"I'll hold my action. If the Tabaxi monk tries to run away I cast Wall of Force in his path."

/splat

EDIT: Actually, this gets really complicated.

First, 75 mph is about the velocity a normal person would have, factoring in wind resistance, after falling about 240 feet. So maybe 24d6 damage. However, the maximum falling damage you can take, according to RAW, is 20d6 from falling 200 feet. So the rules implicitly assume terminal velocity slower than this. Would you max it out at 20d6? Would you even allow a creature to move faster than this supposed terminal velocity?

Second, if you're using the rules for falling damage, would this count as a "fall" and thus be subject to the monk's Slow Fall ability?

Third, would the Tabaxi always land on its feet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Undrave

Legend
"I'll hold my action. If the Tabaxi monk tries to run away I cast Wall of Force in his path."

/splat

EDIT: Actually, this gets really complicated. 7

First, 75 mph is about the velocity a normal person would have, factoring in wind resistance, after falling about 240 feet. So maybe 24d6 damage. However, the maximum falling damage you can take, according to RAW, is 20d6 from falling 200 feet. So the rules implicitly assume terminal velocity slower than this. Would you max it out at 20d6?

Second, would this count as a "fall" and thus be subject to the monk's Slow Fall ability?

Third, would the Tabaxi land on its feet?

You forgot that monks can run up sheer walls... can you climb the Wall of Force?

Undrave

Legend
Might have to use the sphere option.
Just checked and it is invisible so the climbing option doesn't matter.

BUT I think it'd be way funnier to angle it up like a ramp and launch the running Tabaxi into the air! Even with slow fall on the Monk.

Could even use it on your own team mate to vault over a wall equipped with anti magic effect that would prevent just flying over it!

G

Guest 6801328

Just checked and it is invisible so the climbing option doesn't matter.

BUT I think it'd be way funnier to angle it up like a ramp and launch the running Tabaxi into the air! Even with slow fall on the Monk.

Could even use it on your own team mate to vault over a wall equipped with anti magic effect that would prevent just flying over it!

Or use "hemispherical dome" option, upside down like a giant salad bowl centered 10' over target's head, so that it smoothly changes its velocity from horizontal to straight up.

Use this on your teammate to shoot dragons out of the sky. "I'll hold action until Subtle Mist sprints and is directly under the dragon, then cast Wall of Force." "Um, ok. Why?" "You'll see...."

As DM, I'd make them both take 20d6 damage. EDIT: I guess 24d6, minus 1d6 for every 10' the dragon is above the ground.

(By the way, I think it could be fairly argued that none of this would really work, because you're not actually increasing your speed to 660. You are making three separate moves of 280, 280, and 140.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Undrave

Legend
(By the way, I think it could be fairly argued that none of this would really work, because you're not actually increasing your speed to 660. You are making three separate moves of 280, 280, and 140.)

The Dash Action ADDS to your movement, it's not the move itself. It's all one single move action. But you could break it up.

G

Guest 6801328

The Dash Action ADDS to your movement, it's not the move itself. It's all one single move action. But you could break it up.

Right. It adds to your movement, it doesn’t increase your speed. In fact, one might even interpret this more strictly, such that your actual “speed” is only 140. (Base 70, doubled once for Feline Agility, which does actually say that it doubles your speed.)

In other words, RAW implies you are spending more time moving, not that you are moving faster.

Not that I would necessarily rule it that way. Rule of Cool and all.

Eis

Explorer
Right. It adds to your movement, it doesn’t increase your speed. In fact, one might even interpret this more strictly, such that your actual “speed” is only 140. (Base 70, doubled once for Feline Agility, which does actually say that it doubles your speed.)

In other words, RAW implies you are spending more time moving, not that you are moving faster.

Not that I would necessarily rule it that way. Rule of Cool and all.
its still all happening in 6 seconds though, your speed is definitely increased

Remove ads