D&D 5E 5e Triple Move- Way? Or No Way?

Eis

Explorer
Just remember that the rogue does not always want to run into the room first. Just as my poor thief that ran in first thinking that the rest of the party was close behind. He then was surrounded by hobgoblins with their bonus damage and killed him.
Whyyyyy did you have to remind me that I totally forgot the hobgoblin martial advantage on Tuesday when I was DM'ing? It might have really changed things! 😭

werecorpse

Adventurer
I agree with your raw interpretation.

however I found the idea that the rogue can move that much faster than others a problem so I houseruled that you can only take the dash action 1/round so they now can choose to use their action OR their bonus action to dash but not both. Still makes them xcellent chasers and escapers as they can move dash attack, or move dash disengage they just can’t move dash dash.

pnewman

Adventurer
If you have a move of 30 dashing at 60 feet per round would be a mile in 8 minutes and 48 seconds (88 rounds in a row).

I could do this when I was in high school (but not carrying a heavy load) and I did not have a CON of 88....

I'd call it more like CON rounds of Dashing while in combat and CON minutes of Dashing when not in combat, recovering on a short rest. (More with the right feat or class feature.)

Longer runs should probably require Athletics checks (or maybe CON saves) to avoid getting levels of exhaustion.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Throw a tabaxi on that build.

Already have, that's pretty much why I asked the question- the tabaxi in question with feline agility moves 180 feet in the round, although he can't do that again until (obv.) he's not moved at all (0 ft) then it recharges and he's off again. It was an eye opener watching him move through 36 squares on the VTT...

Cheers goonalan

Coroc

Hero
Simple as, and I've never been sure of the ruling- so now I'm asking the experts.

D&D 5e

PC Rogue (level 2 and above- Cunning Action) makes Move, then turns Action into Dash, and then Bonus Action = Cunning Action = Dash some more, for triple speed move this turn, and any other.

Is this right?

Same for Orcs?

Aggressive. As a bonus action, the orc can move up to its speed toward a hostile creature that it can see.

So for the Orc, Move- Action = Dash, Bonus Action = Aggressive, and here I come.

Way? Or No Way?

If not the actual rule, then how do you play it?

Cheers goonalan

Nope. Rogue with cunning action can do 2x dash = move four times his normal movement.

Action dash means you can use all of your action to double your movement
For other class (every one can do it with his normal action) it means e.g. you forfeit your attack or casting but move e.g. 60 instead of 30.

For rogue it is that one plus another action dash = another move at double movement rate = 120. You lose out your bonus action (you used it up by "invoking" cunning action)

Same goes for fighter with action surge, he can dash for double his movement. If he in addition spends his action surge on the action dash he can do the same trick for a total of 4x his movement.

The only difference for the rogue is that a rogue can do it every round. I would limit this to a reasonable number of times though, I think at some point a constitution check or athletics check would be in order.
Since a round is 6 seconds I would limit this to 10x without some other check - if out of combat. If it happen to be that the rogue e.g. kites a mob using this technique I would not limit it, it is part of his class mechanic.

The orc in your example would do 3x his move if using action dash / aggressive so that one you got right.

Torquar

Explorer
Nope. Rogue with cunning action can do 2x dash = move four times his normal movement.

Action dash means you can use all of your action to double your movement
For other class (every one can do it with his normal action) it means e.g. you forfeit your attack or casting but move e.g. 60 instead of 30.

For rogue it is that one plus another action dash = another move at double movement rate = 120. You lose out your bonus action (you used it up by "invoking" cunning action)

Same goes for fighter with action surge, he can dash for double his movement. If he in addition spends his action surge on the action dash he can do the same trick for a total of 4x his movement.

The only difference for the rogue is that a rogue can do it every round. I would limit this to a reasonable number of times though, I think at some point a constitution check or athletics check would be in order.
Since a round is 6 seconds I would limit this to 10x without some other check - if out of combat. If it happen to be that the rogue e.g. kites a mob using this technique I would not limit it, it is part of his class mechanic.

The orc in your example would do 3x his move if using action dash / aggressive so that one you got right.

Where are you getting the four times movement from? Dash increases your movement by your Speed, it doesn't modify your Speed. Double Dashing isn't 2 x Speed + 2 x Speed, it's Speed + Speed (action Dash) + Speed (bonus action Dash).

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Where are you getting the four times movement from? Dash increases your movement by your Speed, it doesn't modify your Speed. Double Dashing isn't 2 x Speed + 2 x Speed, it's Speed + Speed (action Dash) + Speed (bonus action Dash).

That's my reading of it, and same as all previous posts, and that's how I play it at the table.

But y'know, different folks different strokes.

Cheers goonalan

Coroc

Hero
View attachment 123209

View attachment 123211
So, I have gotten that wrong, sorry. You take dash as standard action and dash as bonus action each adding your movement so it is 3 x movement. Same would go for action surge 3 x movement, and also your orc which I got right initially.

When in combat I would not require extra checks for stamina (con) or athletics or the like because it is the rogues combat mechanic.
Out of combat when a player says I want to make my rogue move e.g. 90 for the next two hours I would deny it straight because, as you can see above, cunning action only works in combat. So it is prolonged running aka e.g. 60 maximum and this requires some checks if performed for a longer time.

Remove ads