Unearthed Arcana [5E] Unearthed Arcana: Races of Eberron (July 2018)

oreofox

Explorer
Two options, one boring, one that sounds sweet to me.
1) It's really good at looking like other warforged. It can pass off as a dock worker warforged, a cook warforged etc. Give it that Hitman vibe. Meh.
2) It's like a replicant or the T-1000, has a skin layer and understands some of the basics of displaying humanoid emotions. It can pass as most human like things, but will sometimes struggle with things like empathy. I'm sold (Blade Runner//Cyberpunk biases aside).

Or, if you are going for silly, it could be something similar to Chicken Boo from Animaniacs, or Sir Bearington from 4chan.

How to abuse changling druid: Wildshape into an Ape (not the giant variety). Then use your changling ability to change back to your normal appearance. You can now use all your weapons and armour normally, and not draw unwanted attention when trying to infiltrate the Ambassador's ball, whilst having the stats and hp buffer of an ape.

Even more weirdly, RAW an 8th level druid could wildshape into an eagle, and then changling into a halfling (both are small bipeds). You would still be able to fly by flapping your arms.

It would have made life much simpler to give changlings unlimited use Alter Self spell.

As for warforged envoys, consider this: You are still trying to infiltrate the Ambassador's ball in order to steal her golden chocolates, which are locked in a safe. The party are frisked at the entrance, and the rogue's lockpicks are discovered, and they are dragged off to the dungeon. The remaining party reach the safe. "LEAVE THIS TO ME" intones the warforged, as lockpicks extend from its fingertips. (Not to mention with light armour proficiency and a good dex it has AC bloody stupid if it needs to fight it's way out).

Apes have different proportions than humanoids, so I don't think the armor idea is going to work (plus druids and metal armor means that will be some uncomfortable leather).

An eagle that looks like a Halfling (and can't talk or hold anything in its "hands", and certainly isn't wearing any armor) doesn't seem that broken. I guess you could use it to frame some poor Halfling as being possessed or something.....

Apes have different proportions than humanoids, so I don't think the armor idea is going to work (plus druids and metal armor means that will be some uncomfortable leather).

That's exactly why they ability's wording is too imprecise. Changlings can lengthen or shorten limbs, shorten hair, etc. I wouldn't have an issue with them changing into an ape (which is no more alien than an orc) - so there shouldn't be any issues which them changing back again.

An eagle that looks like a Halfling (and can't talk or hold anything in its "hands", and certainly isn't wearing any armor) doesn't seem that broken. I guess you could use it to frame some poor Halfling as being possessed or something.....

It's not broken as in overpowered, its broken as in suspension-of-disbelief breakingly stupid.

CapnZapp

Legend
The changeling shifting doesn't sit right with me. The text is taken almost directly from Alter Self which is a 2nd level spell. Other races that cast 2nd level spells can't do so until a higher level and even then only get it once per day. The changeling can morph at will at level 1. While Alter Self isn't the most powerful 2nd level spell, its still a huge boost to the social pillar that feels too powerful to come from a racial ability.
On the other hand, a Changeling that can't change would be a disappointing Changeling indeed.

CapnZapp

Legend

D&D isn't the game of realistic armor fitting restrictions.

CapnZapp

Legend
That's exactly why they ability's wording is too imprecise. Changlings can lengthen or shorten limbs, shorten hair, etc. I wouldn't have an issue with them changing into an ape (which is no more alien than an orc) - so there shouldn't be any issues which them changing back again.

It's not broken as in overpowered, its broken as in suspension-of-disbelief breakingly stupid.
That ship sailed a long time ago.

"D&D: Embrace the Stupid"

Why? Because it's usually awesome! ☺

gyor

Legend
*reads document*

It's a real pity that my sister wholeheartedly despises D&D, because with this new UA, she could role play some of her favorite characters from the Fullmetal Alchemist manga.

CHANGELING (Envy) - not a fan of the advantage on Deception checks, but I understand why they gave it to them.

KALASHTAR (Greedling?) - seems okay, Dual Mind might need to be scaled back to once per short rest.

SHIFTER (Chimera) - Swiftstrider already gets 35 movement speed. I think giving them a 40 foot speed while shifted is too much.

WARFORGED (Alphonse) - Envoy seems just a little too versatile compared to the others. Drop the bonus tool proficiency but keep the Integrated Tool trait. Maybe have the Juggernaut's fists force a Strength saving throw against being knocked prone?

I like your idea on Juggernaught's fists.

gyor

Legend
The changeling shifting doesn't sit right with me. The text is taken almost directly from Alter Self which is a 2nd level spell. Other races that cast 2nd level spells can't do so until a higher level and even then only get it once per day. The changeling can morph at will at level 1. While Alter Self isn't the most powerful 2nd level spell, its still a huge boost to the social pillar that feels too powerful to come from a racial ability.

It's not like Alter Self, for example the Changeling ability doesn't grant the, ability breath water, natural weapons, or dark vision. It's more like disguise self that trades the benifits of effecting your clothes for the benifit of not being an illusion. In fact disguise self is usually better then the Changeling's shape changing ability in any situation that doesn't involve touching, so if you a changeling sex worker or your expecting to be strip searched your power is better disguise self, otherwise disguise self is better.

Oh and a couple of Genasi subraces can cast a 2nd level spell once per day at level.

Remove ads