D&D 5E [5e] Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I think the Beyond the Wall content is largely supplementary in this case. Beyond the Wall is actually a whole different game system that has a cool 'lifepath' style character generation system. Quickleaf has some ideas about incorporating some of that just to add some depth to the RP in this game, with perhaps some minor system imports.

So you can use your character just as he was, and bring in a playbook (choose a few from the list in the original post and QL will PM you details) to use for some background stuff, either to give some details to your existing backstory, or as inspiration for a backstory.

Ok, thanks! So my character is a druid with a hybrid background of sage and noble. I`d appreciate it if you can send me info you judge relevant [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]!
Cheers,

SG

Quickleaf

Legend
If this opens up I want you to know I'm very interested :)
Thanks for your interest. Well, we've got 5 of the 6 original players back, and waiting to see if [MENTION=6787159]Skarsgard[/MENTION] is still interested. Have you played alongside any of the other players (Queenie, Fenris, Shayuri, Axel, Steve Gorak) in this group before?

How do folks feel about potentially adding a 7th player? Too many or is that ok in PbP?

I've been practically inactive here for a few months. Slain in RL, and working too many night shifts...

For this, I will make an effort to return. The setting and the group had sooo much potential.

I have read none of the books and have no knowledge of them. I do like Kynee "as is", but more than willing to take advice on tweaks and mods.

Let's do this thing!
Thanks for coming back Axel. :) I agree, Kynee was well-formed with a good tie in to Talashia's backstory. Having an undefined childhood is apropos to a Witch, and most of the playbooks from Beyond the Wall aren't an easy fit for Witchers as [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] made me realize.

Hey Guys!

Wow, I'm glad this is live again, and I'm thrilled that the pace is already fast!

So, my character Ethian was a moon druid, with the Magic without borders feat. I like rituals, and he had a bunch. How would this translate with the new sourcebook beyond the wall?
Thanks and cheers!

SG
Thanks for your understanding Steve! Likewise, I think Ethian has a pretty well-formed background as well, good connection to the setting & adventure, but he could use a better connection to at least one other PC.

There's no "druid" or "sage" playbook, and no playbook seems to fit by itsefl. Looking back over your backstory, Ethian transitions from a noble (Northern Angren) > druid apprentice (Posada) > Conclave of Mages in Ban Ard (Kaedwen).

So, I'll send you these 3 playbooks: Landless Noble, Initiated Magician, and Apprentice Court Sorcerer.

Shayuri said:
I think the Beyond the Wall content is largely supplementary in this case. Beyond the Wall is actually a whole different game system that has a cool 'lifepath' style character generation system. Quickleaf has some ideas about incorporating some of that just to add some depth to the RP in this game, with perhaps some minor system imports.

So you can use your character just as he was, and bring in a playbook (choose a few from the list in the original post and QL will PM you details) to use for some background stuff, either to give some details to your existing backstory, or as inspiration for a backstory.
Yep!

There's a lot of ways the playbooks can be used, for example, off the top of my head...
  • As backstory to further develop your character, rolling or choosing as you see fit (no mechanics)
  • As backstory, with possibly a few new spells or rituals for a caster (like what I was suggesting for Talashia)
  • As a replacement for 5e backgrounds, interpolating the proficiencies granted into 5e terms
  • As something that gets revealed over time around the campfire (see "Campfire Tales" in the OP)
  • Re-write your character using the playbook to grant ability scores, skills (replacing 5e background), possibly some other abilities, and granting a player "to your right" a +1 bonus to an ability score. Basically, going all in with the playbook to re-write your PC's mechanics (and possibly tweak backstory if you want).
  • Don't use them at all! Keep your character's backstory and mechanics unchanged.

Also yeah, Kynee was present for Talashia's surge, which wound up busting them both out of jail or something? I'll have to go back and check that out again.

Being persecuted/judged unfairly is definitely one of Tala's triggers though!

Yes...

Axel said:
Three years. That's how long it's been since I met Talashia. For once, someone had taken an interest in me. I'd been taken to the watchouse of some two-bit town for questioning. I think the guards were worried I would bring an entourage of monsters along to justify my existince, and they took my kit. For precuations, the weasel officer said.

Then it got dark. In the middle of the day. Unnatural, and unusual. The wind built, quickly... And then the roof was gone, and some of the walls with it! Just like that, the watchouse was nothing more than kindling. I grabbed my gear and left. As quickly as the storm came - never look a gift horse in the mouth. I think they strung up some schmuck scapegoat after. Can't have property damaged and nobody to blame...

Outside, at the middle of it all was Talashia. Monster? No. Just a woman, like me. She seemed half frightened and half angry at the world. I'd say it was love at first sight, but I don't think of our relationship that way. Maybe we saw a kindred spirit in each other? Another poor soul that had been chosen by destiny for some task they never asked for or wanted.

We've kept in touch since. As it turns out, we should have run into each other years ago. If I didn't know any better, I might say it was the gods' determination that we met under those circumstances.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...lery-Witcher-Mother-of-Monsters#ixzz47WsCLjAF

Last edited:

Trogdor1992

First Post
I actually currently play with [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] in a Star Wars game and with [MENTION=93196]Axel[/MENTION] in a 5th edition game, though I've just recently joined the one with [MENTION=93196]Axel[/MENTION] when they had a drop out.

Quickleaf

Legend
Cool, thanks [MENTION=6787159]Skarsgard[/MENTION] and everyone for your willing to restart this.
[MENTION=6801450]Trogdor1992[/MENTION] Let me hear from the others about how they feel about 7 PCs before I make the call. IRL I've DMed for 7 people before regularly and it wasn't a problem...I can't see any reason why that wouldn't translate to PbP...but it should be up to all the original players.

Shayuri

First Post
I'm okay with 7 PCs. It can be more work for the GM, but from a player perspective it's usually fine. If you're okay with it, I am. :)

Quickleaf

Legend
Ok, [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] [MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] are you guys ok with including a 7th player?
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]
How do you feel about tweaking how Source cantrips work? This is an idea borrowed from Beyond the Wall. Whether we include it or not is entirely up to you, being the Source players :)

In Beyond the Wall, using a cantrip requires a check and if it fails then you're given a choice of either (a) being out of spells, or (b) mis-casting the cantrip. I like this because it makes magic feel more magical, fitting both the setting and the Source class. However, 5e sorcerers have reduced spell lists and are more reliant on cantrips than wizards. So my idea to convert it to 5e is to tone it down and to offset it with a benefit offering increased versatility...

The Limit: When casting a cantrip, make a fairly easy check (DC 8 Arcana, maybe?). On a failure, choose either (a) you've exhausted use of that particular cantrip until you regain your spell slots after a long rest, or (b) you mis-cast the cantrip as determined by the DM.

The Benefit: However, the Source can manipulate and combine her cantrips to create new effects, limited only by the player's creativity (as long as it doesn't invalidate an actual spell of 1st-level or higher).

For example, Talashia might combine ray of frost and message and light to create a false vision of the White Frost worshipped by a cult. Maybe it doesn't do any damage, just simulates winter conditions in the immediate area with intensely bright snow flurries and an ominous whispered voice to several cultists.

Whereas Elora might use Druidcraft to create the false scent of a drowner (a variation of an "instantaneous harmless effect...such as...the faint odor of a skunk"), using it as a lure for a more dangerous monster that preys on drowners.

Remove ads