D&D 5E 5e witches, your preferred implementation?

Sithlord

Adventurer
Heh not really Battlemaster is a fine name for Warlord, however to some it seems like handing someone a dex build Eldritch Knight with a Staff and leather armor and saying here is your wizard now take this feat and that feat to get other supporting features.
Your going to hate me for this. I love staff as a weapon. I let my players with access to martial weapons wield a staff for 2d6 damage or 1d12. And I have eldritch knight doing that right now.

ducks for cover.

Greg K

Legend
Any Warlord class, in my opinion, also needs to be able to handle the "Lazy Warlord" (e.g. Frodo if I recall correctly), the Mowgli, and Prince/Princess (or was this another Lazy Warlord) builds. It has been a while since I have been in 4e forum threads, but I think I recalled them correctly. (edit: I am sure @Garthanos will correctly if I got them wrong)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Your going to hate me for this. I love staff as a weapon. I let my players with access to martial weapons wield a staff for 2d6 damage or 1d12. And I have eldritch knight doing that right now.

ducks for cover.
heheh I did not pick the idea entirely at random you did do an upgrade (an appropriate one it seems) - you sort of gave it a supporting feature. call it a War Mage if you like it isnt the Wizard the typical hypothetical player wanted.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Any Warlord class, in my opinion, also needs to be able to handle the "Lazy Warlord" (e.g. Frodo if I recall correctly), the Mowgli, and Prince/Princess (or was this another Lazy Warlord) builds. It has been a while since I have been in 4e forum threads, but I think I recalled them correctly. (edit: I am sure @Garthanos will correctly if I got them wrong)
Those were some of them hybrid lazy lords. Prince(ss) was what I called it when I made up the lazylord build ie its the standard concept heh. It was basically simultaneously developed concept on here and on WOTC forums (the guy on WOTC forums called it lazylord).

Sithlord

Adventurer
heheh I did not pick the idea entirely at random you did do an upgrade (an appropriate one it seems) - you sort of gave it a supporting feature. call it a War Mage if you like it isnt the Wizard the typical hypothetical player wanted.
Oh yeah. Agree completely. I would do this for any of my martials not just an eldritch knight.

even before I did this i would confuse players by having them attacked by people using staves and no armor. They would automatically think they were monks or something else. They couldn’t fathom that there were good fighters in villages that couldn’t afford or have armor or swords and just fought with a staff. And a staff was part of training for many peope for combat once upon a time. I like using spewed too.

Yaarel

He Mage
Being able to build "Warlord" with an intelligence dump stat seems missing something as is not having one with the ability to spur team imitative.

That said I have been coming to the conclusion that improving the fighter may be perhaps the easiest route to improve the Battlemaster/Warlord.

For instance
  • Want warlords to act like themselves all the time? Add a way like scanning for openings tie this to investigation(int)/insight(wis) perhaps, for the battlemaster to trade an extra attack for a CS die.
  • Want a Warlord that is rewarded with more potent warlord tricks by taking risks (The bravura build from 4e), then allow the fighter to gain benefits like gaining an extra attack by triggering an opportunity attack.
  • Want the Warlord to help everyones initiative let Fighters have a battle cry to do so when they roll good init (let non-dex fighters have better init perhaps from any mental stat it will make a Str/Cha or Int build more viable)
  • Want the warlords to affect more allies/enemies with maneuvers add ways for the fighter to do that, etc. (improve the multi-targeting of effects for the fighter)
I wonder if Warlock mechanics is the best chassis for the Warlock concept, where "spells" are maneuvers, most of them at-wills and per short rest.

I want the Psion to use the Warlock chassis. It would be cool if the martial Warlock did too.

Compare how the Wizard, Cleric, etal, all use the same Wizard spellcasting chassis. It seems fine if several classes use the Warlock chassis.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I also don't need Ranger (Fighter or Druid alternate depending on edition), Barbarian (Ranger or Fighter doe), Paladin (Cleric or Fighter doe), or in some editions Druid (Cleric).

----

As for dictionaries, I'm all for using them in most cases, but they do really badly for D&D classes. Wizardry is Sorcery, Sorcery is using magic with power of an evil spirit, Witchcraft is Sorcery.... And then go for Paldin, Druid, Bard, etc... Warlock is far closer to Witch than a lot of other class names and when most kids googled Warlock they'd see well, Sorcerer (see Witch), because all of them are on the same line of a Thesaurus. But if WotC is trying to be inclusive and wanted Warlock to be the Witch, they shouldn't have male-washed it and chosen the less popular name and would have given the tropes more clearly in various subclasses.
Best use for dictionaries or a thesaurus is to find a cool name for a class, could've been how sorcerer was chosen when it was made for 3e.

Remove ads