D&D 5E 5e witches, your preferred implementation?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Welllll, I'd make the argument (And have made the argument) the Battlemaster is too Fighter-y still

I'm just saying, if the Battlemaster was sufficiently filling the Warlord gap, then Kibbles Warlord wouldn't be as popular as it is.
Being able to build "Warlord" with an intelligence dump stat seems missing something as is not having one with the ability to spur team imitative.

That said I have been coming to the conclusion that improving the fighter may be perhaps the easiest route to improve the Battlemaster/Warlord.

For instance
  • Want warlords to act like themselves all the time? Add a way like scanning for openings tie this to investigation(int)/insight(wis) perhaps, for the battlemaster to trade an extra attack for a CS die.
  • Want a Warlord that is rewarded with more potent warlord tricks by taking risks (The bravura build from 4e), then allow the fighter to gain benefits like gaining an extra attack by triggering an opportunity attack.
  • Want the Warlord to help everyones initiative let Fighters have a battle cry to do so when they roll good init (let non-dex fighters have better init perhaps from any mental stat it will make a Str/Cha or Int build more viable)
  • Want the warlords to affect more allies/enemies with maneuvers add ways for the fighter to do that, etc. (improve the multi-targeting of effects for the fighter)

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I see we're arguing in circles. So, I'll be clear.

I want a witch class that is encouraged, mechanically, to do witchy things like brew potions in cauldrons, subtly curse people, and cast a variety of subtle spells that manipulate and enchant others.

I have a Magic-User (Wizard) class which is mechanically encouraged to study magic tomes during occasional rest periods, acquire new spells by whatever means, and not wear armor or use weapons.

I have a Fighter class which is mechanically encouraged to wield weapons and use tactics in battle, wearing the best armor they can get.

I have a Thief (Rogue) class which is mechanically encouraged to be sneaky, learn a wide variety of trades, and get out of the thick of things.

I have a Warlock class which is mechanically encouraged to blast magic laser beams at first opportunity and cast a few very flashy spells as soon as a threat appears. I guess that's exactly what I wanted to begin with. I'm glad you guys kept just telling me, "The warlock is exactly the class you were looking for all along;" because, obviously that's the perfect implementation.

Sithlord

Adventurer
Vuman Battlemaster Fighter 3, Martial Adept feat, Combat superiority F/S, Noble background.

Maneuvers (6 sup dice per short rest):

Commanders Strike (ally makes an attack)
Commanders Presence (buffs Intimidation, Persuasion, Performance)
Distracting Strike (grants ally advantage)
Maneuvering Attack (moves ally into position)
Rally (heals ally)
Tactical Assessment (buffs History, Insight and Investigation)

High Cha and Str. Dumps Dex (heavy armor). Persuasion, Intimidate, History, Insight, Athletics

With an average of 2 combats per short rest, and each combat averaging roughly 3 rounds each, thats enough dice for 1 manouver every turn.

From there he can keep adding maneuvers and dice (and increasing the dice size) or move into Crown Paladin for +Cha to saves aura, Bonus action channel divinity healing of allies with turn the tide, divine allegiance HP substitution, Bless, Warding bond, Heroism, Aid etc) all fluffed as martial abilities, and very thematic.

We have a Warlord already, but that doesnt stop people from repeatedly trying to recreate the wheel.
Because they have to see the name “warlord”. It doesn’t matter that other classes can be a warlord. Same thing goes with witch and alchemist and shaman.

The argument that we can't want new things because we can make half-assed version of those things with the current set of rules is such a non-argument. I don't understand it. Everyone here acknowledges we can cobble together some kind of mess and call it a witch or warlord. Why do people act like we're so absurd for wanting a class that fits our needs instead of having to stitch together a Frankenstein golem? Isn't 5E all about being simple and streamlining? Nothing says streamlining like me having to take 5 different classes to make up what I want for once concept.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
We've got a steady influx of (apparent) dudes who want to come in and reiterate the same points. Pretty sure this thread is linked somewhere and we're getting a low level brigading.
Sure, but I was waiting for somebody to tell me, "That's just the Warlock. The Warlock class is mechanically encouraged to do those witchy things!" And then I could just wash my hands of the whole thread because the guy who says that is determined to disagree no matter what you say.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Because they have to see the name “warlord”. It doesn’t matter that other classes can be a warlord. Same thing goes with witch and alchemist and shaman.
Heh not really Battlemaster is a fine name for Warlord, however to some it seems like handing someone a dex build Eldritch Knight with a Staff and leather armor and saying here is your wizard now take this feat and that feat to get other supporting features.

Subclasses do a lot of work in this edition, and people seem to just ignore their existence. They literally just released Witherbloom, a new super witchy subclass that can be applied to two different classes, to warlock for obvious reasons and to druid for more wiccan/celtic style witch. And even if this exact subclass wouldn't perfectly capture all your witchy needs, others could easily be created. One of the big strengths is the classes being very customsable, so there is no need to create a huge amount of new full classes. There are already six main caster classes in the game, there is no need to add more.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
Subclasses do a lot of work in this edition, and people seem to just ignore their existence. T
I ignore subclasses, because most of the offical ones are, in my opinion, garbage in concept and/or mechanics- especially, those in supplements, but even several in the phb. Several others suffer from not being granted at first level

Sithlord

Adventurer
The argument that we can't want new things because we can make half-assed version of those things with the current set of rules is such a non-argument. I don't understand it. Everyone here acknowledges we can cobble together some kind of mess and call it a witch or warlord. Why do people act like we're so absurd for wanting a class that fits our needs instead of having to stitch together a Frankenstein golem? Isn't 5E all about being simple and streamlining? Nothing says streamlining like me having to take 5 different classes to make up what I want for once concept.
Because if they give people everything they want in a warlord class and give it a different name people will be on forums saying we really need a warlord class.

Remove ads