D&D 5E 5E - Would you buy e-Books?

So if 5E was offered in e-Book format, would you buy it?

• Yes, I would buy E-Books in addition to hardcopies.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Yes, I would buy the E-Books instead of hardcopies.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • No, I only want E-Books if they come free with the purchase of a hardcopy.

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • No, I will only buy hardcopies of the books.

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • No, I will not buy the books in either format.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Ugh, another 5E poll?

Votes: 4 4.4%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
As you might have read on the front page of the site, Paizo is offering "lite" versions of their e-Books. These PDFs are now optimized to run more smoothly on tablet PCs and smartphones. I think it is brilliant, and I hope that Hasbro follows them.

There is a new edition coming out soon, and many of us would like for it to be available electronically as well. Others are either uninterested or outright opposed to the idea.

So let me ask you this question:
...assuming you have had a chance to look over 5E and you decide you like it,
...and the prices are agreeable to you (but still not "free,")
...and both formats are linked, organized, and/or searchable to your liking,
...and everything else was equal in both electronic and hardcopy formats,

...would you buy electronic copies of the new edition?

Choose the answer that best describes your opinion on the subject.

Last edited:

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I chose the first option. If they would include e-books for free with the purchase of the hardbacks, that would encourage me to buy more hardbacks.

Arlough

Explorer
I would most likely buy the e-books, with some of the books in hardcopy as well (for the players in my group who don't have the money to get the books themselves.)
Ultimately, though, I would prefer to buy a licence, that would cover my access of the IP that came with any purchased books.

Since (ostensibly) the primary value that contributes to the end price of the books is the IP within that book. And since you are not purchasing the book, but the licence to use the material plus hard-copy production costs, I should have access to that material if I purchase a hard copy or the digital copy.

On the other hand, if they want to sell the books not the licence, then I should not be hit with a IP licence dispute if I use their material to create and sell my own D&D clone so long as I purchased the book. (Not that I would want to. I am just trying to make a point. :))

Finally, the licence is the value, so I would expect the books to be only slightly more expensive (manufacturing and shipping costs, plus retailer markup) than the digital copies.

Yora

Legend
If they are significantly cheaper and don't contain any content that I will need to look up at the table, sure.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Ugh, I guess? I really like having all of 4E available to me in the Compendium. But I did buy the core three, the adventures, Adventurer's Vault, and Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale as physical books.

I'm not against buying hardcopies. Things like the monster tokens in MV:TNV made me buy my first physical book in a long time. I'm not aginst buying PDFs either. But I really do like having a fully updated and expanded library for a low monthly fee.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'd probably buy some of each and both of each depending on the material. I have come to really like running my Pathfinder game from my iPad, so I'd like PDFs of the core rules. But I would also like some hard copies of the PH and DMG at least. Monster Manuals I might get on just PDF, if available.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Well, there's also the small issue of whether the basic rules are available for free online, period. That is currently the standard.

But in any case, I wouldn't buy the e-book. If it's worth buying, it's worth buying the physical book. I'd take the e-book if it came with the physical one and maybe use it.

Stormonu

Legend
I always get the hard copies and PDF versions. I primarily use the electronic versions, but I keep the paper copies as backup or for when I don't have/want computer access.

seregil

First Post
Beyond the usual price and availability aspects, a very clear dealbreaker for me is DRM.

ANY type of DRM will make me refuse to buy the digital version and, if I'm grumpy that day, the paper versions too.

Paizo has clearly demonstrated with Pathfinder that PDFs works, you do NOT need to encrypt/DRM them.

WOTC/Hasbro has this engrained 'big business' reflex that they have to lock us in.

Sorry, I refuse to play that game.

Remove ads