D&D 5E [5E] YP: Sunless Citadel

What Adventure should I run for my next PbP Campaign?

• Lost Mine of Phandelver

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Sunless Citadel

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Other WotC Adventure Path

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other Adventure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Creamsteak

Explorer
I think I'm interested in a classic skill-monkey human or half-elf rogue. Not the best combatant, but attempts to solve problems creatively.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Pretty simple character, traditional tropes I think.

[sblock=Serpica] serpica.jpg
Serpica
Female Half-elf Rogue 1, chaotic neutral

Armor Class 14 (leather)
Hit Points 8 (1d8)
Speed 30 ft.

Str 8 (-1)
Dex 16 (+3)
Con 10 (+0)
Int 14 (+2)
Wis 14 (+2)
Cha 14 (+2)

Defenses Advantage on saving throws against being charmed and cannot be put to sleep by magic.

Senses Darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16
Languages Common, Elvish, Dwarven, Thieves' Cant
Skills Athletics 1, Acrobatics 5, Stealth 5, History 4, *Investigation 6, Insight 4, Perception 4, Persuasion 4, *Thieves Tools 4, Chess Set 2

Illegitimate Noble - Living in Exile You are the illegitimate child of a noble family. You know things about the nobility that most commoners would not, and you know how to behave in their company.

Actions
Rapier. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8+3) piercing damage.

Dagger. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4+3) piercing damage.

Thrown Dagger. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4+3) piercing damage.

Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6+3) piercing damage.

Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll. The amount of the extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Sneak Attack column of the Rogue table.

Equipment
Rapier
Shortbow
20 arrows
dungeoneer's pack
leather armor
2 daggers
thieves tools
Fine clothes
Signet Ring
Scroll of Pedigree
Purse (25 gp)[/sblock]

[sblock=Background]Some twenty years ago a human nobleman had a one-time tryst with a woman of elven descent. The child of this relationship was abandoned at a small rural nunnery. The child was often ridiculed for her large pointed ears she had not yet "grown into" as a child and was bullied by other orphans being raised there. During one such bullying incident a tiny young lordling boy came to Serpica's defense. The boys family took Serpica in as a servant at his request, and they lived together for the remainder of their childhood.

A year into service at the lordlings manor his father finally returned from an extended journey. The lord recognized the girls features as far too familiar, both reflecting those of his mother, and an affair from his youth. While not wishing to enrage his wife, the mother of his son, he took to ensuring her education and training was slightly more than a peasant servant girl deserved.

Three incidents marred her adolescence. First, the suspicion of the Lady of the House over time grew as a simple peasant girl was treated with a great deal more favor than could be warranted. The lady had many accusations, some more founded than others. Second, the young lordling grew infatuated with the girl in his company so much of the time, something that Serpica had no interest in. Third, Serpica's skills at observation and sneaking made her apt to discover the unwanted affairs of both the lord and lady of the manor in both business and other relations. In the end, Serpica took a few small tokens of her illegitimate status from the household and fled into the night. She does not speak of her name or her father's house name, she only uses the name of a character from a story she once read, changed from Serpico to Serpica.

Serpica's time in the nunnery and constant need to escape made her more observant and adventurous than the other girls. Her time as a servant and the education her father provided helped her understand the world somewhat at large. Her need to run keeps her on her toes and she seeks excitement and to never again be kept as a bird in a cage.[/sblock]

Last edited:

purplerook

First Post
Some Question Effecting Character set-up

All,

I am relatively new to DnD - played in college too many years ago - and new to PbP. So, please guide me on both the mechanics and the etiquette. I have a few questions that will impact my character and starting equipment.

Brief Bio

Ara is studying to be a member of the Leopard (Stealth/Illusion) Bladesingers. Ara is a minor member of Elven Intelligence. He sends periodic reports back about things that he sees in human lands. He cannot call on resources from Elven Intelligence, but he may be tasked by them to spy on various locations (possible story hook).

Gene, here are a few questions.
  • Illusions. I am interested in exploring the effectiveness of illusion in the game and so the character has a strong bent towards illusions. If you are ok with illusions, I will share common situations and illusion types so that you and I are not too surprised by the results. If you have concerns about illusions, let me know and I will adjust the spell list and possibly the character.
  • Background. I created a custom background for the character, mixing Criminal/Spy, Entertainer (cover story) with a dash of Charlatan. I swapped out skills and tools that I felt were more relevant for my character - Acrobatics vs. Deception and Forgers kit vs. Thieves kit. If this does not work for you, feel free to adjust. Skills: Stealth and Acrobatics (from the Leopard Bladesinger school). Tools: Painters Supplies and Forgers Kit (more consistent with a painter) Equipment: Painters Supplies, Sketchbook, Waterproof case Feature: Welcome in most Inns as he does wall murals, painting, signs, etc. and provides Entertainment - e.g., Silent Images.
  • Planning to start with a Scholar’s Pack. Depending on where we go, may need to buy rations, waterskin, etc.or swap for an Explorer’s pack.
  • Would like to spend 10gp of my starting gold on Find Familiar.
  • As an Elven Wizard, I would prefer to get Longbow and Short Sword (my racial weapons) rather than sling and daggers - possibly need to go ‘owe’ some gp to Elven Intelligence.
  • How does/do the Somatic component and Arcane Focus (Material Component) work? I am in a current DnD game where a cleric with Sword and shield is casting spells from Melee. As a spell caster who expects to be in combat, I would like to understand what the limitations are. Also, this may effect my starting Arcane Focus. Currently planning on a wand that looks like a paint brush.

Obeliske

First Post
[MENTION=552]Creamsteak[/MENTION] Neat how did you do that layout?

I'm looking at possibly cleric paladin (Lawful Stupid) or maybe a fighter? Leaning towards Cleric. Bard might be fun to, still waiting on people to chime in to see what toes I'll be stepping on and what shoes need filling. We have two chimed in already waiting on a few more and then I'll do my creation :)

Creamsteak

Explorer
@Creamsteak Neat how did you do that layout?

I'm looking at possibly cleric paladin (Lawful Stupid) or maybe a fighter? Leaning towards Cleric. Bard might be fun to, still waiting on people to chime in to see what toes I'll be stepping on and what shoes need filling. We have two chimed in already waiting on a few more and then I'll do my creation :)

I used a template I've used before. First button on the menu in the enworld text editor is the wysiwyg editor, which I have off. I just use the proper code tags. If you quote the text you can see it just fine.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Narrowing my options.

I am leaning towards a human monk - he fights with a stick! (details, and possible complete change of mind, by tomorrow morning).

I'm glad there will be a cleric (my default class to play, always a favourite.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases