D&D 4E 5th edition - 2015? Or is 4ed the last?

Turanil

First Post
Alzrius said:
I feel cynical enough to say that economics, and not the actual state of the game, make it a certainty that there'll be a 5th edition at some point. 2015 seems like a realistic guess, though I think it might take a year or two longer.
I also feel cynical enough to say that economics, and not the actual state of the game, make it a certainty that there will not be a 5th edition. With the nearby recession and oil peak already there, Hasbro will disappear when millions of ruined gamers will spend what money they can scrap just to survive. If gaming companies continue to exist, it will be small ones who sell games contained in one or two cheap books only, and don't need to sell large print runs to go on...

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
2010. By that time, there will be enough splats with different mechanics for every manuever and ability that it will be in the state of late 2nd edition AD&D and there will be popular outcry and demand for a 5th edition.

Ranger REG

Explorer
The Grumpy Celt said:
Well, the world is supposed to end in 2012, so there may not be time for a 5th editon.
Ironically, that's looking at the bright side of things. :]

However, should we survive 2012 ... :\ ... 4e will not be the last, unless D&D is as dead as Blue Planet.

Nyaricus

First Post
Turanil said:
I also feel cynical enough to say that economics, and not the actual state of the game, make it a certainty that there will not be a 5th edition. With the nearby recession and oil peak already there, Hasbro will disappear when millions of ruined gamers will spend what money they can scrap just to survive. If gaming companies continue to exist, it will be small ones who sell games contained in one or two cheap books only, and don't need to sell large print runs to go on...
Actually, economics might mean that books, which you pay a mid-priced one-time fee for, might see a resurgence, in which case we might very well see a 5e, but perhaps more towards 2020 than earlier. Only time will tell.

Addendum: I say this because the current situation of fast-food, cheap thrills and general "use and lose" attitude might very well change in favour of a long-term investment in a game system, which doesn't require technology other than lighting to play, whereas computers are energy-suckers, etc etc.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Nyaricus said:
Actually, economics might mean that books, which you pay a mid-priced one-time fee for, might see a resurgence, in which case we might very well see a 5e, but perhaps more towards 2020 than earlier. Only time will tell.
Hmm. I was expecting 4e to come out in 2010. Obviously I'm going to lose that bet. You'll have to forgive me that I don't believe your above statement.

Nyaricus

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Hmm. I was expecting 4e to come out in 2010. Obviously I'm going to lose that bet. You'll have to forgive me that I don't believe your above statement.
Fair enough, although I was expecting 4e more towards 2010 as well. It seems playtesting was rushed for it, and another year under-wraps and another year of play-testing might've worked out the kinks in the system which we'll all find soon enough.

My above statement just reflects the way most people in NA feel about there being another depression looming. I have no idea if it will, but really in regards to entertainment value you can't get much better than a tale-top game. That's why board games are so big for my grandparents generation (the baby boomers' parents) and why they are not so big now, since there has been a shift in culture. And really, the market wouldn't support a new edition, so why bother? If 4e works out well enough, and there is in fact a depression coming, there will be a reasonable delay in any new set of rules. Right now, WotC is just riding the wave, like everyone else (or so it seems).

cheers,
--N

Mercurius said:
Now I've read many folks voice the opinion that there will be no 5ed, especially due to the advance in computer technology--by 2015 we might have full-immersion virtual reality.
The unsolved problem with immersion VR is the walking problem. How do you simulate motion without motion? You really can't without the ability to create forces arbitrarily and localized to the one user. That is not a computer tech, it is gravity tech. And we don't have any of that tech.

nick012000

First Post
jmucchiello said:
The unsolved problem with immersion VR is the walking problem. How do you simulate motion without motion? You really can't without the ability to create forces arbitrarily and localized to the one user. That is not a computer tech, it is gravity tech. And we don't have any of that tech.

1. Neural interfaces. You brain thinks your legs are moving, but they aren't.
2. Giant ball-treadmill. It can rotate in any direction, so you can walk without going anywhere.

Remove ads