D&D 5E 5th edition artists need to watch Legend of Korra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hussar

Legend
Heck, if we're going to go anime inspired, how about:

war_maidens_by_sxeven-d4jbwaf.jpg

or there's always something like this if we want to stay away from more anime styles:

ravine_issue_2__dont_kill_her_by_nebezial-d4jydxj.jpg

or this:

celtic_woman_by_nickld-d4cuk0l.jpg

or lastly this:

obsidian_phoenix_by_dleoblack-d4qgsh0.jpg

Oh, but, this is in a gallery that spells women with a "y" so it should immedietely be discounted. :erm: After all, it couldn't possibly have any redeeming value.

S

Sunseeker

no chainmail bikinis, not exploitation.

This is a common assertion and it is simply false. Being scantly clad is not exploitative, this style of dress appeals to many women. A great many of the comic book artists I watch on DeviantArt who do some of the sexist pinups are women. My fiance's favorite subject is pinup fantasy women.

Exploitation is forcing a woman to dress in a manner that she doesn't like. Exploitation is not as simple as dressing in a fantasy bikini, if life were that cut and dry I doubt we'd even be having this conversation.

It's a serious irony. We want women to be empowered to do what they want, wear what they want, act how they want, but then we damn them for not acting and dressing in the manners that we forced them to back when we wanted them to be empowered!

I understand all the "realism" issues that fantasy bikini's made of skulls/leather/plate/chain-mail bring. These aren't going to protect you in real battle. But are they respectful of women? That's up to the women in question, simply assuming that a chain-mail bikini must be disrespectful because in your opinion no woman would ever be to unmodest is just silly.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
And why can't a her hit on another her? It may be tropey to be a male playing a lesbian female, but honestly, go with your strongpoints, attempting to fake attraction for the sake of "well it's a woman, she likes men!" probably isn't going to come out as good roleplaying anyway

This just turns us into little boys that end up giggling over lesbians. Adults yes, but we are quick to turn into little boys when the opportunity arises. :)

Alouicious

First Post
This is a common assertion and it is simply false. Being scantly clad is not exploitative, this style of dress appeals to many women. A great many of the comic book artists I watch on DeviantArt who do some of the sexist pinups are women. My fiance's favorite subject is pinup fantasy women.

Exploitation is forcing a woman to dress in a manner that she doesn't like. Exploitation is not as simple as dressing in a fantasy bikini, if life were that cut and dry I doubt we'd even be having this conversation.

It's a serious irony. We want women to be empowered to do what they want, wear what they want, act how they want, but then we damn them for not acting and dressing in the manners that we forced them to back when we wanted them to be empowered!

I understand all the "realism" issues that fantasy bikini's made of skulls/leather/plate/chain-mail bring. These aren't going to protect you in real battle. But are they respectful of women? That's up to the women in question, simply assuming that a chain-mail bikini must be disrespectful because in your opinion no woman would ever be to unmodest is just silly.

But the women in the art are not actual women with agency. They're made up people, created by the artist, drawn by the artist, put in the clothes the artist wants. And yes, there are women artists who draw women scantily clad. But how many fantasy artists are women? Rhetorical question, the answer is not many.

Modesty isn't the issue. Objectification is. A woman choosing to wear skimpy clothing in real life is not a problem, because it is her choice to wear that clothing. She made that choice of her own volition, with her adult brain. Which fantasy art women lack. Because they aren't real people.

Again, the women in fantasy art aren't actually choosing to wear chainmail bikinis. They can't choose to wear chainmail bikinis. Because they're not real. They're wank fodder for lonely nerds and horny 17 year olds. Sometimes both at the same time.

Have I repeated this enough times? They aren't real. They aren't choosing this. Other people are choosing this for them.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
bwaahahah

Here's some equal opportunity unarmored characters to get mad about, if you feel the PC / maturity police breathing down your taste in art.

Boris%20Vallejo%20-%20Arcanes%20-%20002.jpg

Let's not be too serious about ourselves and just enjoy living in Imagination-Land.

Censorship in all its forms is bad, mkay, including self-censorship. If you're not free to giggle with the boys at lesbian warrior princesses kissing during D&D, where are you? Who's stopping you? The PC police? puhleeeze.

I don't expect Wotc to break any major ground, but Core D&D is based on euro-centric fantasy archetypes, and I hope the art is of good quality, consistent, evocative, inspiring, and not guided by a committee on moral abuses of the female form. Victorian-era prudery was a bad idea then, it's even worse now. If I want softcore p0rn, I can get it easily. As an adult, I expect to not be treated like a child (at least if company X wants my money)

For an asian or other expansion, sure, let's have a different vibe, I love chinese mythology and culture, but it's not Core D&D, which has more, let's not kid ourselves here, euro-centric themes and biases.

plus...Anime is waaaay played out. I know lots of geeks love it, but I don't. I find it childish and tacky, better suited to a game with gamey-healing mechanics and nobody-ever-dies pew pew nerf combat.

Alouicious

First Post
I don't expect Wotc to break any major ground, but Core D&D is based on euro-centric fantasy archetypes, and I hope the art is of good quality, consistent, evocative, inspiring, and not guided by a committee on moral abuses of the female form. Victorian-era prudery was a bad idea then, it's even worse now. If I want softcore p0rn, I can get it easily. As an adult, I expect to not be treated like a child (at least if company X wants my money)

For an asian or other expansion, sure, let's have a different vibe, I love chinese mythology and culture, but it's not Core D&D, which has more, let's not kid ourselves here, euro-centric themes and biases.

plus...Anime is waaaay played out. I know lots of geeks love it, but I don't. I find it childish and tacky, better suited to a game with gamey-healing mechanics and nobody-ever-dies pew pew nerf combat.

But WHY does D&D have to be Eurocentric? Aren't we past this? Aren't we past having to make every hero pure lily-white Europeans and all the villains dark-skinned savages from "the south lands"? Why can't we have some Afro-centric or Asian-centric material in our D&D Core? It's not the goddamn 1800s 1970s anymore.

Incenjucar

Legend
What he said.

As for "korra..."

No, please. This art absolutely does not say "Dungeons and Dragons" to me. None of the characters even wear armour. I cannot put into words how much I do not want D&D to look like this.

If core 5E's default aesthetic style had to be anime for some reason, then yeah, I have to go with Record of Lodoss War. Sorry, but Tradition does have a place in the game, even if some people can't wrap their minds around the appeal it holds for the rest of us.

The characters are mostly monks... so...

Or are you against the long tradition of things like Kara-Tur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads