D&D 5E 5th edition artists need to watch Legend of Korra

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Anime and Manga was heavily influenced by Osama Tezuka. He was influenced by Disney art styles. That's all there is to the origins of the style.

Mercutio01

First Post
And specifically the exaggerated but expressive features of Mickey Mouse and Betty Boop, not Caucasian body types.

Balsamic Dragon

First Post
Mercule: I apologize for crossing the line in my last comment. This topic is very frustrating to me at times, and I read your comments in conjunction with other people and replied as if you had said several things that you did not say.

I really didn't want this thread to go as negative as it almost immediately did.

What I would like to see is a definition of the core of D&D that does not immediately marginalize women and minority characters. I don't want them to be the exception to the rule, I want them to be the rule. And having historical Europe, or even Tolkein, be the core of D&D will naturally tend to do that.

ArmoredSaint

First Post
What I would like to see is a definition of the core of D&D that does not immediately marginalize women and minority characters.I don't want them to be the exception to the rule, I want them to be the rule.
This makes it sound like you want non-women and non-minority characters to be the exceptions to the rule. Am I misunderstanding?

Libramarian

Adventurer
Then why the :):):):) are you trying to argue against it based on a few screenshots.
I'm not "arguing against" the show :hmm:. This thread is not about this show. I'm giving an opinion about this image, as it is presented as inclusive fantasy artwork.

You find it offensive because it insinuates things you don't like about this show you like.

But I don't care about that, because you are rude.
Anime and Manga was heavily influenced by Osama Tezuka. He was influenced by Disney art styles. That's all there is to the origins of the style.
Any explanation this simple for something as complex as an art style is almost certainly not true.

But even so--do anime artists today not ask themselves whether they should keep drawing characters that look more caucasian than asian? Why hasn't the style moved away from that? Is there no push to make characters look more like japanese people? I don't know, I'm asking. If there isn't then that displays to me a surprising lack of sensitivity to race issues, from my western perspective. They at least don't really care about it.

Alouicious

First Post
This makes it sound like you want non-women and non-minority characters to be the exceptions to the rule. Am I misunderstanding?

They're saying they don't want tokenization. They don't want "oh yeah and also women and minorities are here too BUT MOSTLY HERE'S THESE COOL WHITE DUDES" they want "Anyone can kick ass and be awesome. Look at all these different people who are awesome!"

But I don't care about that, because you are rude.

Isn't rudeness what got you kicked out of RPGNet? Don't throw stones if you can't afford a glazier.

Last edited:

Mercutio01

First Post
But even so--do anime artists today not ask themselves whether they should keep drawing characters that look more caucasian than asian? Why hasn't the style moved away from that? Is there no push to make characters look more like japanese people? I don't know, I'm asking. If there isn't then that displays to me a surprising lack of sensitivity to race issues, from my western perspective. They at least don't really care about it.
Again, this is simply projection. Mickey Mouse is not Caucasian. Neither are the Looney Tunes (Bugs, Daffy, Porky) etc. Betty Boop is Caucasian, but her eyes and proportions are about as "white" as are Dumbo the Elephant's. Those are the models from which Tezuka worked, and he did so because it was specifically easier to produce emotional clarity with big eyes and cartoon faces, not because he secretly wanted to be white. Incidentally, he was working prior to the American influence in post-war Japan.

EDIT: I realized that the last line is rude. I'm retracting it.

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

Ironically, the push to make anime characters more "Japanese" comes from Western anime-artists. Anime is style. It literally means nothing more than "animation". Lots of people do anime, from various Asian countries to Western ones(a lot of the American-Anime is done in Vancouver.). It's a particular style, not an attempt to re-create Japanese people.

Ettin

Explorer
How about this?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU4EfF85u60"]this?[/ame]

Is this "asian" enough to be sensitive to race issues for you?

ArmoredSaint

First Post
They're saying they don't want tokenization. They don't want "oh yeah and also women and minorities are here too BUT MOSTLY HERE'S THESE COOL WHITE DUDES" they want "Anyone can kick ass and be awesome. Look at all these different people who are awesome!"
The problem is that, when it's phrased like "I want women and minorities to be the rule," what it sounds like he wants isn't "Anyone can kick ass and be awesome. Look at all these different people who are awesome," it's "oh yeah and also white dudes are here too BUT MOSTLY HERE'S THESE COOL WOMEN AND MINORITIES." It sounds like he wants it to be the other way around, possibly in pursuit of evening some historical score.

Isn't rudeness what got you kicked out of RPGNet? Don't throw stones if you can't afford a glazier.
While I have no idea as to what is being referred to, it needs to be pointed out that RPGNet is run by infamously oversensitive moderators. Their notions of what might constitute "rudeness" might not be rude by the standards of more reasonable people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads