D&D 5E 5th edition artists need to watch Legend of Korra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libramarian

Adventurer
Isn't rudeness what got you kicked out of RPGNet? Don't throw stones if you can't afford a glazier.
Haha no.

I literally don't think I have ever said a personally rude thing to anyone, over there or here.

I believe I was permabanned for saying I hate the site. That's the last thing I said before leaving, anyways. I haven't tried to log in since then. They appear to have permabanned me afterwards as a symbolic gesture. "You can't quit, you're fired!" basically.

S

Sunseeker

That might be a good start.

Yeah, no sorry, not a fan of the "every must be super-PC!" line of thought, you can't solve racism with more racism(yes, white-guiltists, discriminating against whites on the basis of their skin color is still racism).

And realistically, most of the "minorities" in D&D aren't even human. You probably only see a "white guy" some 30% of the time these days given that half the men and women in the art aren't even human. No, elves do not count as "white people" even if they are light skinned. Furthermore, Africa, Latin America, England, these things don't exist in D&D, so ascribing real-world racism to in-game people of various skin-colors is just annoying.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
< . . . snip . . . >
But even so--do anime artists today not ask themselves whether they should keep drawing characters that look more caucasian than asian? Why hasn't the style moved away from that? Is there no push to make characters look more like japanese people? I don't know, I'm asking.
< . . . snip . . . .>

My understanding about that issue, formed primarily in the 1990's*, is that the typical Japanese anime style (Big Eyes, Small Mouth) appears plainly Japanese to Japanese people.

Hm. If it looks Western to Westerners, but looks Japanese to Japanese, could it be that it's so simplicitic a style that people can read whatever they want into it?

* Re: 1990's: mostly Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Love Hina, and Bakuretsu Hunters, so take all this with a grain of salt.
(Still trying to forget Neon Genesis Evangelion and Revolutionary Girl Utena.) .

Libramarian

Adventurer
While I have no idea as to what is being referred to, it needs to be pointed out that RPGNet is run by infamously oversensitive moderators. Their notions of what might constitute "rudeness" might not be rude by the standards of more reasonable people.
I don't know if I would say oversensitive, they're just extremely biased. Specifically in favor of the fourth edition of Dungeons & Dragons and various forms of liberal internet slacktivism.

I remember one thread where a mod was telling people to automatically ignore anything you say, because of opinions you stated prior to that.

It's like the McCarthy era over there. If you get a reputation for having the wrong opinions, it's just a downhill slide until you're run out of there.

Alouicious

First Post
Yeah, no sorry, not a fan of the "every must be super-PC!" line of thought, you can't solve racism with more racism(yes, white-guiltists, discriminating against whites on the basis of their skin color is still racism).

And realistically, most of the "minorities" in D&D aren't even human. You probably only see a "white guy" some 30% of the time these days given that half the men and women in the art aren't even human. No, elves do not count as "white people" even if they are light skinned. Furthermore, Africa, Latin America, England, these things don't exist in D&D, so ascribing real-world racism to in-game people of various skin-colors is just annoying.

First off, "white guilt."

Second, you just missed the point so hard it left a dent in the wall.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
As I said in past art threads, it really should reflect the popular fantasy art of the day.

This TV show aside, I think animated fantasy has declined in popularity in favor of realistic fantasy, like A Game of Thrones. Or the LOTR movies. Or Harry Potter. Or even stuff like Twilight & The Hunger Games.

Not that I want photographs of real people used, but I do want it realistic looking not heavily stylized.

S

Sunseeker

First off, "white guilt."

Second, you just missed the point so hard it left a dent in the wall.

I've already asked you nicely to stop replying to me. Posts from this point on are reported as harassment.

Ettin

Explorer
Isn't rudeness what got you kicked out of RPGNet? Don't throw stones if you can't afford a glazier.

Just to clarify, while he did rack up a lot of moderated posts for being a dick (mostly to Zak S, for some reason) he was actually banned when he declared "I hate this forum" and left after a long series of more passive posts (requesting a system that would let him disagree with people anonymously in that thread, previously insisting that people were being bullies by disagreeing with him, etc.)

But this is getting into kind of a derail.

I've already asked you nicely to stop replying to me. Posts from this point on are reported as harassment.

He's right though.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads