5th Edition Book of Houserules

Fralex

Explorer
Huh. For whatever reason, I still can't edit the doc. Clicking "edit" just gives me a blank screen. Until I figure this out (I think I need to change browsers or use a non-mobile device), could someone else make those changes I mentioned for the Additional Alchemical Items section?

Archade

Azer Paladin
I'm just getting caught up a bit, and added the following spells to the google doc, ENWorld Arcana (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y7rDPJo7lXX1llUTMa9wnjZd1LlIzvhSMupwVlApep8/edit?usp=sharing)

Boccob's Anticipation (Archade)
2nd-level divination (Wizard)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 hour

You peer momentarily into the future, enough to be warn you with glimpses of the future. You gain Inspiration if you did not have it already, and can use it to grant yourself or any other person Advantage on skill check, attack, or saving throw. If unused, the Inspiration fades after an hour.

Ghost Bear (Archade)
4th-level conjuration (Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard)
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range 30 ft.
Components V, S, F (grizzly bear tooth)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

This spell conjures a Large, quasi-real, bear-like creature made of roiling gray mist. It functions as phantom steed, except as noted above. In addition, the creature radiates an aura of unnatural cold. Any creature who rides the ghost bear must make a Constitution save or take 2d6 cold damage.
The ghost bear may also be used in combat. Once per round, the caster may use an action to direct the bear to attack in battle, using the caster's attack bonus, doing 2d6 cold damage.

Hymn of Venya (Archade)
divination cantrip (Bard, Cleric)
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Personal
Components: V
Duration: 1 minute

You can communicate in Celestial via song, allowing you to confer with celestials and celestial beings. Any Charisma checks made with celestials during this spell have Advantage.

Fralex

Explorer
OK, my laptop spontaneously started working again, and I can now help edit the document! Should I still post any new ideas for the doc here first, and only put them on it if they're approved by the rest of you, or is it OK to just add them directly?

For now, two three new rules:

Spare the Dying, Revised
In the playtest, spare the dying was a lot stronger. Its casting time was swift (1 bonus action), it restored the target to 1 HP, and I think at one point it was ranged. The official version is kinda... underwhelming. This variant is a proposed compromise that hopefully makes this cantrip just the right amount of whelming.
»Change Casting Time to 1 bonus action
»Change Range to 20 feet

Blowgun, Improved
This variant makes blowguns more useful as poisonous weapons. Ordinarily, a dose of poison can coat 3 pieces of ammunition as an action. Blowgun needles are specially designed to hold poison, allowing you to coat up to 10 of them at once with a single dose.

Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer Elemental Affinity, Improved
This variant makes up for the slight disadvantage in being a dragonborn sorcerer with the same racial bloodline as their sorcerous origin's. Do one of the following:
»Allow Elemental Affinity's bonus to spells of your bloodline's signature damage type to also apply to your breath weapon (if it also matches).
»When you spend a sorcery point to gain resistance to your bloodline's signature damage, you instead just cut all damage taken of that type in half (rounded down) for the duration. That way it stacks with a dragonborn's resistance.

Last edited:

Grondsmash

Explorer
D&D 5E House Rules

Generation:
Player can choose option, but must stick with choice
Option 1: use PHB point buy system with 30 points to spend
Option 2: use 4d6, removing lowest die, sort results as wish

Racial modifiers are always added afterwards.

Allowing all variants and sub-races, but anything strange must be OK'ed by DM (better bring a good backstory!)

Backgrounds
Modifications to existing backgrounds are fine, as long as the player sticks to the perameters set out in the PHB .

Intelligence gives additional languages known as 1/2 bonus (rounded up).
One additional "kit" is awarded in the area of your highest ability score.

Classes
Allowing all variants and sub-Classes (WoTC only), but no homebrews.

The Additional Score Increase (ASI) is tied to your Character level, not a specific class level.
Fighters and Barbarians gain an additional ASI at 7th and 14th Class Level
Rangers & Paladins gain an additional ASI at 10th Class Level

Moon Druids can Wildshape into twice the level on the chart, and CR 3 at 10th Class Level.
Beastmaster Rangers can use a Move action, Bonus Action or Action to command their Companion to attack.
Beastmaster Rangers get Cmpanions at the same level as the Druid Wildshape chart.

Magic Item Attunement
You can Attune to a number of items equal to 1 + half your Proficiency Bonus (so 2-4).
Common and Uncommon items that require attunement still follow rules around attunement, but they do not count against the number of items allowed, so a 3rd level character with a Ring of Jumping still must be attuned to you over a short rest, but once attuned it does not count against your other two items.
There is still only one "slot" for a magic item at each location, 1 ring for each hand, 1 on head, but no double ups (if you try it, neither of them work).

Mlulticlassing
When entering a new class you get what is listed in PHB plus:
One of the two saves of new class
One skill of new class that is not offered in your class (it is silliy to have a Rogue who can't sneak)

For Class Scaling Abilities your ability(s) are to the combined level system set out in the PHB, but ONLY for similar kinds of the same Primary Ability Score (Str for battle things, Dex for sneaky things, and magic must come form the same place within you). Divine and Arcane do not stack for CSAs unless you have a class that converts one to the other like the Bard's 10th level Magical Secrets Ability, the Sorcerer's Favored Soul Origin, etc. If there is any doubt, the DM has the last word. Spells and Slots are still as per the PHB section on Multiclassing.

Ritual Spells
If you have the Ritual Caster Feat or Class Ability, then almost any spell is a Ritual Spell for you. Those without it can only cast those listed, as they are widely known and taught. for those with the extra ability, you can cast more rutal spells, but only up to 6th level, and DM has final say, so you might want to keep note of the ones you can cast that way.

Resting
Short Rest - All hit points gained are Temporary Hit Points and last only 8 hours.
All other rules apply, both about short rests & Temporary Hit Points.
Long Rest - you roll your total Hit dice (die type and number according to level, no Con bonus) and recover those hit points after an 8 hour rest.
Spellcasters need 7 hours of rest plus one hour of study/meditation/attunement to recover all spells. This is modified by 1/2 hour for every Con bonus the character has, so some casters can take a 2 hr. watch. Non-casters can extend the normal 2 hr. max on watch by the same amount, 1/2 hour per Con bonus.

Remove ads