D&D 5E 5th edition Monster Manual: I think the really nice art detracts from the mediocre functionality of the book.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Again I will repeat. How thick do you think the DMG os going to be? If they are complaining about page count with the PHB and MM, they are going ro do the same with the DMG. This would probably mean they are either going to leave out a lot of what people want, or give bits and pieces of everything to the point where you feel like there os so much missing. I remember NPC creation being in the DMG but not monsters.
I'm not sensing a lot of love and justice in your posts. I thought you were supposed to right wrongs and triumph over evil.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm not sensing a lot of love and justice in your posts. I thought you were supposed to right wrongs and triumph over evil.

Yeah, i noticed that too. I have a hard time reconciling or taking seriously all these angry posts (not just this thread but in others) from someone called "Sailor Moon" and with that avatar. ;)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yeah, i noticed that too. I have a hard time reconciling or taking seriously all these angry posts (not just this thread but in others) from someone called "Sailor Moon" and with that avatar. ;)
Should have gone with Sailor Saturn. Much more of a threat.

BRB, making alternate account. :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm getting kinda tired of the "I would be a better game designer than the professionals" attitude, when stated by someone who has never designed a successful game in their life. I certainly appreciate criticism, but the tone in the sort of post I am referring to goes beyond criticism and well into personal bashes directed at the game designers with simultaneous personal aggrandizement of ones own design skills, backed by total lack of evidence that one even has any actual experience or design skills.

OK so you would have put two things in the MM that are instead in the DMG or free online. Just say that, without all the disparagement and attention-seeking bombastic rhetoric. The art doesn't "detract" from anything, and neither of your complaints is about functionality (the book operates as intended, you just wanted a different function (monster design) and a different type of index).

Personally I prefer monster design in the DMG along with all the other design guidelines, and I don't care where Monsters By CR is located as long as I can get it at no additional cost. But you have difference preferences. OK, cool. Just friggen say that without all the excessive baggage.

Last edited:

You might as well argue that potential buyers who want to run a game of D&D might not think the "Player's Handbook" is for them!

Well, yes, I could. Tradition aside, if one were to name the 5E books according to what's actually inside them, you would have a "Rulebook", a "Creature Catalog" and a - wait for it - "Dungeon Master's Guide"

the Jester

Legend
So you're complaining that something that we know (because we've been told by the designers) is going into the DMG isn't in the MM, and you're scared that they'll have to cut... something?

And you'd have rather they sliced a bunch of monsters out (which, I think you'll find, pretty much everyone else would hate to see) and made us wait for a year or more for them, instead of you just waiting until early December for what you have already been told they are delivering?

I understand your concern about the limited space in the DMG, but I think it will be fine. The designers and layout guys know where they have space and what they need to be doing with it. A list of monsters by CR (and terrain) will also be in the DMG- again, that's where encounter-building resources traditionally go.

Not to disparage your concerns, but to me, this seems like a lot of blustery wind without much behind it. You'll get your monster design guidelines soon enough. If you can't wait, check out Surfarcher's blog posts about it; they will help.

Remove ads