• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5th edition Monster Manual: I think the really nice art detracts from the mediocre functionality of the book.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Having the encounter building stuff in the DMG makes sense to me.

Maybe they'll do the "functional" method for 6th edition or Paizo will use it for 2nd edition Pathfinder.

For 5th, I think the ship has sailed.

Bring on the next edition!!

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Having the encounter building stuff in the DMG makes sense to me.

Maybe they'll do the "functional" method for 6th edition or Paizo will use it for 2nd edition Pathfinder.

For 5th, I think the ship has sailed.

Bring on the next edition!!

Encounter building is something that should be in the DMG, not custom monster building.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Is it? wouldn't at least one class (the druid) use it for one or more of it's class abilities?

Most of what the druid needs is in the PHB in the back. Are you actually going to claim the MM is DM because it might contain something a class can use? The DMG is supposed to contain player options so are you going to sit there and claim it's not supposed to be DM only?

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
My point is there's no reason for people to complain about which of the two books it's in.

If they were looking for DMG filler then maybe, but since the beginning Wizards has promised loads of modules and options that would allow each table to customize the game to their needs and adding something else to the already loaded mix, when it could just as easily have been put in the MM, is going to lead to disappointment.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Quick question.

Have you actually DMd the game yet? Thinking CR is a loosely based guideline will give your players a world of hurt,

I have DM'ed a LOT of sessions of 5e. And yes, CR is a loosely based guideline. That you think it's a very hard and fast line as opposed to a loose guideline, is a curious thing to me. I've used plenty of creatures with a CR higher than the PCs, and it hasn't resulted in party deaths - though death is a distinct possibility in some of those encounters, and not in others. I've found on the whole it's a pretty loose guideline which varies with circumstances, like most things in D&D.

Remove ads