D&D 5E 5th Edition users poll (keep track of what users want)

JRRNeiklot

First Post
LEVEL
1-20

POWERS (4e power mechanic)
Not no, but HELL no.

VANCIAN SYSTEM (3.x caster mechanic)
Yes, but let's use 1e mechanics.

CLASS ROLES (defender, controller, striker, leader)
Horrible. I'll define my tole, no one else.

MAGIC ITEMS HAS TO BE MECHANICALLY (you want magic items to be almost necessary? a big part of the game?)
Important, but not necessary in most cases, much like AD&D

ABILITIES SCORES (str, con, dex, int, wis, cha)
It's not D&D without Str, Int, Wis, Con, Dex, Cha.

A LOT OF CLASSES
3-10 should be good.

A LOT OF RACES
BAD ... only need human, elf, dwarf, gnomes, halfling, half elf, half orc

ABILITY SCORES FOR RACES (you want a particular race to be better with some classes and bad with others?)
YES

FEATS (AND OTHER OPTIONS) THAT GIVES YOU STATIC +X BONUSES (weapon focus, weapon expertise)
No feats, period.

HIT POINTS
GOOD

HEALING SURGES (part of 4e heal system)
They are horrible, lose them.

DEFENSES
AC

SKILL CHALLENGES (4e)
Horrible

SKILLS HAVE TO BE...
Skills are unnecessary

NORMAL CHANCE TO HIT
Define normal, should start off bad and get better. What it should not do is scale so that you are basicly always fighting orcs.

ALIGNMENT IS (mechanical means there are powers/spells that work on what you write on your sheet, fluff means pure role play)
Both.

SAVE OR DIE (finger of death)
Good.

LEVEL (as in, range of levels in the game)
1-20

POWERS (4e power mechanic)
Bad. Very bad. Do not want them.

VANCIAN SYSTEM (3.x caster mechanic) (also 0e-1e-2e)
Good

A needless layer to the game.

MAGIC ITEMS (you want magic items to be almost necessary? a big part of the game?)
Magic items should be important

Good

A LOT OF CLASSES
Then3E phb got it about right. Get rid of prestige and bring back kits for customization

A LOT OF RACES
Stick with standard, get rid of. The new ones from 4E

ABILITY SCORES FOR RACES (you want a particolar race to be better with some classes and bad with others?)
If this means racial ability bonuses, yes

FEATS IN GENERAL
Bad

HIT POINTS
Good

HEALING SURGES (part of 4e heal
Very bad

NORMAL CHANCE TO HIT
This needs clarifications

ALIGNMENT IS (mechanical means there are powers/spells that work on what you write on your sheet, fluff means pure role play)
Limited mechanical

Good

LEVEL DRAIN (and other quasi-permanent Bad Things, should they happen to PCs)
Yes

LEVEL ADVANCEMENT RATE
Slow

ABILITY SCORE GENERATION (and various other character attributes)
1-5 optional methods

CYCLICAL INITIATIVE (combat turns go in cycles)
Bad

EASE OF BATTLEFIELD SPELLCASTING (easy as in 3e-4e, or hard as in 1e-2e)
Hard

Ratinyourwalls

First Post
LEVEL
If they do more than 4E did with 21-30, I'm all for level 1-30. If they can't be bothered. Just do 1-20.

4E powers
Good

VANCIANT SYSTEM (3.x caster mechanic)
I like what 4E did with it. Basically gives only certain classes access to vancian magic. It gave the arcane power source it's own unique flair. All of the arcane power source needed to use it though.

Changed to different builds. Each class has a Defender / Support / Generalist build, with extra damage being a built in feature of all of them.

MAGIC ITEMS HAS TO BE MECHANICALLY
I have no problem with magic items being important. They just should feel like magic. I dunno about earlier editions but 3 and 4E didn't have that magic to them.

They are part of what makes D&D...D&D. They shouldn't be taken out.

A LOT OF CLASSES
Just a few key classes that can fit into any playstyle, with themes, races, and kits picking up the slack depending on the style you are going for.

A LOT OF RACES
Good. Just make them relatively equal. 3.5 they didn't matter really. In 4E there was a huge power difference in between an Eladrin and a Shardmind/Githzerai or a Dwarf and a Minotaur.

ABILITY SCORES FOR RACES (you want a particolar race to be better with some classes and bad with others?)
Better? Yes. Outright bad? No. Positive bonus only to ability scores please.

FEATS (AND OTHER OPTIONS) THAT GIVES YOU STATIC +X BONUSES (weapon focus, weapon expertise)
VERY, VERY BAD.

HIT POINTS
They need to be in between Pathfinder and 4E. A bit more survivability than Pathfinder, but no where near as grindy as 4E.

HEALING SURGES (part of 4e heal system)
They were a good idea, just a bad presentation.

DEFENSES
Options for both.

SKILL CHALLENGES (4e)
No. They need a more refined system for dealing with out of combat encounters. Skill challenges just stunk royally. Back to the drawing board.

SKILLS HAVE TO BE
VERY IMPORTANT

NORMAL CHANCE TO HIT
MORE LIKE 75%

Fluff, but with some mechanics attached. Let's not devalue them entirely like 4E did.

Depends. I think I saw an idea somewhere where it works only on bloodied creatures? That would be cool. It would be less broken in PC hands and I don't think I'd use it AGAINST the PC's.

Remove ads