D&D (2024) 6E When?

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Really they should just do a new edition every year that is released in November. The edition can be renamed for the year. Right now edition 2020 should be coming out because it is the Edition that should be used for 2020. Some years the changes will only be minor corrections. But they should look at what has and has not been working for the year and make appropriate changes. Additionally there will be a terms and conditions that must be signed for all purchases. And at that time you must turn in your previous books from the last year to be burned. Banning of all earlier editions is a must. Also as according to the terms and conditions your home and locations of play may be investigated randomly to insure no one is playing the wrong edition and that everyone is playing by the same rules. No house rules allowed. We have to do everything possible to insure that everyone has the same shared experience. We can not tolerate an environment where every player in the world is not having the same shared experience. Strangely China is really on board with this.

I think somewhere In the terms and conditions there is a line where you sell your to Asmodeus for the right to play the game. This is not as bad as you thing as he is the greatest rules lawyer in the multiverse. His rulings are RAW yet at the same time very challenging. This is good for those people that find 5E too easy. There is more risk. But he will already own your Soul So that is motivation to play well.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I'm sure there's tables not using stuff in XGtE and a few other sources because all the player stuff wasn't just put in a book with "Player's" on the cover. And, while some of those may have been better had they gotten to do so, others of them, I'm sure are headed by a DM dreadful to not have to deal with any of it.

And, I don't think anything calved in 3.5 can claim bovine sanctity. Really have to date back to TSR for that.

I mean, yeah of course. You don't need XGtE to run a game. Because... it's not a PHB 2.

Tony Vargas

Legend
You didn't need the PHB2, either, but again that was part of the botched marketing that style represented..
Which caused 3.5 so much trouble, they never tried it again....

...Y'know, if we ever do see a 6e (and I'm not at all convinced we ever will - 5e is only barely acknowledged as such), not just themed special editions or nth printings with new art and the like, it'll probably be preceded by some of the same sort og odd proclemations. If sales finally drop off for some marketing-inconvient reason, pick something that hasn't been a problem, before, point the finger and 'fix' it.

Urriak Uruk

Which caused 3.5 so much trouble, they never tried it again....

...Y'know, if we ever do see a 6e (and I'm not at all convinced we ever will - 5e is only barely acknowledged as such), not just themed special editions or nth printings with new art and the like, it'll probably be preceded by some of the same sort og odd proclemations. If sales finally drop off for some marketing-inconvient reason, pick something that hasn't been a problem, before, point the finger and 'fix' it.

Can you provide a theoretical example, as I largely don't understand this statement.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Can you provide a theoretical example, as I largely don't understand this statement.
Nope, I've got no actual conspiracy theory to insert in place of the implausible explanation we've been given.
I just can't quite buy that the folks buying D&D in 2010 were that much more easily confused than in 2006. I mean, I suppose it'd been a tough few years for a lotta us....

Urriak Uruk

Nope, I've got no actual conspiracy theory to insert in place of the implausible explanation we've been given.
I just can't quite buy that the folks buying D&D in 2010 were that much more easily confused than in 2006. I mean, I suppose it'd been a tough few years for a lotta us....

I actually disagree with this entirely. It's not that people are more easily confused, it's just that there are more new players. And having a bunch of rulebooks with similar names is going to confuse new players, not because of their age or anything but because they're new to the game and learning any new game is difficult.

I mean, pretty much everyone I know plays Monopoly incorrectly (auctioning property if someone doesn't buy it is in the rulebook), and that's the most popular boardgame of all time.

Oofta

Legend

WOTC has done significant polling and research. They have real data and feedback that a book labeled "Players Handbook 2" is confusing for a significant portion of the public. There will be new books with player, monster and DM options. They just won't be labeled [core book] 2.

So what exactly are you arguing? That because it's not confusing to you that it cannot be confusing to anyone?

Remove ads