D&D (2024) 6E When?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In a sense 4e lives on. For 4e fans how reusable are elements from the board game for playing regular 4e D&D?

It's not really super lootable for RPG purposes, though you could probably reverse engineer boardgame material from the 4E books...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It has some new content, the original books were seperate books, so I'm counting it.

I have the book and have read it: the new material in terms of intro, organization and the art gallery is minimal though I am happy with it. It is a premium reprint with Errata, released in select hobby shops.

Tony Vargas

Legend
They have specifically said they have no plans to update the board game to fit 5E rules, because they have a greater value in supporting the boardgame fanbase with continuing to use 4E compatible rules. Go figure.
Wow, that makes less than sense than usual.

For one thing the basic mechanics are hardly different, at all. And stand-out differences, like BA, wouldn't even come up. Guess it's been too long - 9 years? - since I played castle ravenloft, I can't think how 5e-izing 'em would screw it up.

For another, that there's even a 'board game fanbase' to support, separately.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I buy them used for the miniatures, I do like the board game but I never really get it to the table. I know it’s played a lot by other folks I know.
Yeah, the 'bone' style minis in castle Ravenloft have seen some use - I've long since adopted a table convention of minis for PCs & allies, tokens for monsters/enemies, myself, though.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wow, that makes less than sense than usual.

For one thing the basic mechanics are hardly different, at all. And stand-out differences, like BA, wouldn't even come up. Guess it's been too long - 9 years? - since I played castle ravenloft, I can't think how 5e-izing 'em would screw it up.

For another, that there's even a 'board game fanbase' to support, separately.

No reason for them to split the boardgame fanbase. If the game has continued to sell for 9 years, no need to rock the boat.

Tony Vargas

Legend
No reason for them to split the boardgame fanbase. If the game has continued to sell for 9 years, no need to rock the boat.
The decision point wouldve been 4 or 5 years ago, and, while I can see being funny after the carnage if the edition war, I'd see no reason to think whatever fan base the boardgames had at that time would've been as entrenched and violently resistant to change as that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The decision point wouldve been 4 or 5 years ago, and, while I can see being funny after the carnage if the edition war, I'd see no reason to think whatever fan base the boardgames had at that time would've been as entrenched and violently resistant to change as that.

Well, the game's still sell: they are not things that used to sell, bit have stopped selling. As such, it would be bad business to ruin backwards compatibility moving forwards.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases